Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 25 Aug 2020, 18:37 (Ref:3997921)   #1076
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I think they know they have to give us something for it....
Agree with that, we will know SOON.
Old 29 Aug 2020, 11:11 (Ref:3998637)   #1077
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
https://www.euronews.com/2020/08/29/coronavirus-macron-doesn-t-rule-out-new-nationwide-lockdown

Is ACO going either... they're probably starting to hope the race would have been in 1 weeks time, instead of 3
Old 29 Aug 2020, 12:18 (Ref:3998654)   #1078
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmmm, not looking very good, is it......?
Old 29 Aug 2020, 12:31 (Ref:3998658)   #1079
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It pains me to add to this thread but the media are not going to have a good time of it, even if the race takes place.

This is what I have been sent by a few sources........

I have the COVID Media protocol from the ACO. Not even a beer in town. Direct Track/hotel interface. Food from stalls at the track. That’ll be an expensive burger then. Last time one of those f*****s wanted 20 euros for a baguette!

I understand each photographer must choose a place (pits, other side of the starting line, Dunlop Curve, Tertre Rouge, first or second Chicane but cannot move during Friday to Sunday end of the race. They must shoot in the same place and can’t return to the press room. Normally nobody could speak with the media (and vice versa) including photographers – no paddock access.
I also know that people with credentials must have a test PCR
And did they come to France 14 days before the scrutineering ?
Don’t look good at all.

So who would want to shoot under those restrictions?

The first race I will miss since '83...........ah well, all things must pass.
Old 29 Aug 2020, 13:29 (Ref:3998675)   #1080
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The more i hear the less i think it will happen, still hearing from other forum that marshal shortage is getting worse every day, and still 3 weeks to go
Old 29 Aug 2020, 13:57 (Ref:3998683)   #1081
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Earlier on, weren't they talking of November as backup plan...
Old 29 Aug 2020, 14:29 (Ref:3998691)   #1082
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Le mans in the snow, now that would be different, but think November would be a no no as possibility of ice and fast race cars is a real recipe for disaster.
Old 29 Aug 2020, 14:47 (Ref:3998701)   #1083
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds pretty dreadful for the media John, on that basis I can';t see anyone bothering to go, unless they're local and prepared to put up with that kind of restriction. I still don't see lack of marshals being any issue, although it could be cited as one of the reasons for a cancellation. If it is cancelled, I'm pretty confident it won't be rescheduled.
Old 29 Aug 2020, 14:52 (Ref:3998708)   #1084
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Le mans in the snow, now that would be different, but think November would be a no no as possibility of ice and fast race cars is a real recipe for disaster.
According to this site, it does not seem to snow at LM very much during winter months
https://www.worldweatheronline.com/le-mans-weather-averages/pays-de-la-loire/fr.aspx

According to this, the "cool season" typically starts from Nov 16
https://weatherspark.com/y/44458/Average-Weather-in-Le-Mans-France-Year-Round

Wikipedia says 1981-2010 record temp for Nov was 22 celcius, and record low -12, with avg high of 11 and avg low of 4.

For nov 14, sunrise would be at 8.04 and sunset at 17.22
https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/france/le-mans?month=11&year=2020
This would be around 2 hours less of daylight than Daytona 24
https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/daytona-beach?month=1&year=2021

Quote:
Sounds pretty dreadful for the media John, on that basis I can';t see anyone bothering to go, unless they're local and prepared to put up with that kind of restriction. I still don't see lack of marshals being any issue, although it could be cited as one of the reasons for a cancellation. If it is cancelled, I'm pretty confident it won't be rescheduled.
But if they have to cancel it they'd also have to transfer all the entries to the 2021 race (because of all the promised/earned auto entries and the LMP1 abandonement) which in turn would likely also deplete the grids in the ACO championships once they're no longer racing to get LM eligibility

Last edited by Deleted; 29 Aug 2020 at 14:58.
Old 29 Aug 2020, 16:08 (Ref:3998744)   #1085
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post

But if they have to cancel it they'd also have to transfer all the entries to the 2021 race (because of all the promised/earned auto entries and the LMP1 abandonement) which in turn would likely also deplete the grids in the ACO championships once they're no longer racing to get LM eligibility
Yep, not a very pretty prospect for the ACO. It won't be cancelled unless the government or the prefecture force their hand.

Christmas cards, anyone.....?
Attached Thumbnails
DVl8SCMWkAAoAeS.jpg  
Old 29 Aug 2020, 16:16 (Ref:3998747)   #1086
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The restrictions are pretty much in line with the F1 protocols, but you are right, who would want to operate under such restrictions, unless you had to? I hope that the race goes ahead for the many people that will depend on it, but it will be without me. Maybe I have seen the end of La Sarthe, what do normal people do in June?
Old 29 Aug 2020, 16:22 (Ref:3998752)   #1087
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
God knows? Prior to this year, I hadn't seen a full June month at home since 1985.....
Old 29 Aug 2020, 16:44 (Ref:3998763)   #1088
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
This was also my first year i had not spend a week in France since early eighties
Old 30 Aug 2020, 15:25 (Ref:3998984)   #1089
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
https://www.euronews.com/2020/08/29/coronavirus-macron-doesn-t-rule-out-new-nationwide-lockdown

Is ACO going either... they're probably starting to hope the race would have been in 1 weeks time, instead of 3
Quote:
We can consider our president uses the lockdown as a threat......What happens in La Sarthe? For sure there are more positives cases than elsewhere inthe region but the situation is getting better and better if we look at the last statistic.
As a well known president say " the more people you test the more positive cases you find"........true of course. But the cases are often young people and asymptomatic. No people died in La Sarthe the last weeks, a few hospitalized people and no one in intensive care.

We have to be optimistic. Maybe, the only problem is to find marshals and especially french 24 hours confirmed marshals if the foreign ons can't attend. Maybe not.......
Old 30 Aug 2020, 15:54 (Ref:3998995)   #1090
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
As I've said to Simon Eric, I simply cannot believe that the ACO would allow the world's greatest motor race to be cancelled due to a lack of marshals. I'm sure there are plenty who would be willing to 'bubble' for a sufficient time in order to work at the race. They should have just kept the ones who were at Le Castellet yesterday.....
Old 30 Aug 2020, 16:42 (Ref:3999005)   #1091
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes Andrew. Probably but I know all the marshals are not certified for Le Mans (they could change the rules) and they are not all leisure men and will they have the same possibility to get an extra holiday in september with the covid than in June with a normal situation?
I agree with you "how could they cancel because of a lack of marshals"!!!!!!!It would be amazing!! But in our strange period...............
Old 30 Aug 2020, 17:01 (Ref:3999017)   #1092
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well the bike 24 hour went ok so keep your fingers crossed for 3 weeks time
Old 30 Aug 2020, 20:31 (Ref:3999093)   #1093
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The entirety of my UK based group have now decided to not travel to LM this year. That is a very large percentage of the number needed to run that poste.

(I decided weeks ago, and it still hurts)
Old 30 Aug 2020, 20:39 (Ref:3999098)   #1094
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Just to clarify Graeme, they were allowed to go? It's their decision? Only rumour was that UK marshals were being told they were not required.....
Old 30 Aug 2020, 21:02 (Ref:3999109)   #1095
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Just to clarify Graeme, they were allowed to go? It's their decision? Only rumour was that UK marshals were being told they were not required.....
yup, it was our decision not to go
nobody was turning us away

We were still getting official communications up to yesterday, which was detailing the requirement for a certified PCR covid negative test result if you were marshalling anywhere within the Bugatti circuit. For postes outwith that area (like us) a PCR test was highly recommended. Masks have to be worn at all times. (plus a copy of the full 18 page covid protocol)

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 30 Aug 2020 at 21:15.
Old 31 Aug 2020, 09:13 (Ref:3999172)   #1096
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Fingers crossed they find enough marshals to do the job. It would be a massive shame if we had to cancel it for that reason alone
Old 31 Aug 2020, 09:41 (Ref:3999176)   #1097
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Fingers crossed they find enough marshals to do the job. It would be a massive shame if we had to cancel it for that reason alone
If a significant number of marshals is missing, the only solution would be to set permanent slow-zones in some straights.
Old 31 Aug 2020, 10:12 (Ref:3999181)   #1098
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I think there's a mandatory number of marshals to legally run the race. Which is in no way comparable to the bike race held on the Bugatti. The duration with a long in dark period at this time of the year makes things very difficult, you need at least the double of marshals than required for any other meeting. Everything is specific.
As to slow zones in the straights I dont think its viable. Just my opinion.
Old 31 Aug 2020, 10:54 (Ref:3999203)   #1099
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
If a significant number of marshals is missing, the only solution would be to set permanent slow-zones in some straights.
My goodness, that can't possibly be an option Pascal? It would completely ruin the race.
Old 31 Aug 2020, 10:54 (Ref:3999205)   #1100
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I second that, we don’t watch Le Mans to see them follow each other at reduced speed