Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 13 Jun 2010, 15:02 (Ref:2711138)   #1
JVT
Rookie

United States
Florida
JVT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Help me

I am in the beginning stages of planning for a motorcycle road course.
if anyone would like to design a track for me go ahead. Here is a possible site

For scale the frontage of the property on the road on the left is 1 Mile.

Make sure there is room for facilities.

Throw me ideas, I am very impressed with this site.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 20:08 (Ref:2711420)   #2
Helicon_One
Rookie

Helicon_One should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are there any significant elevation changes to consider?
Old 13 Jun 2010, 22:24 (Ref:2711525)   #3
JVT
Rookie

United States
Florida
As far as I know, nothing significant, id say +- 20' tops, but if it makes the track better we can build some elevation.
Old 13 Jun 2010, 23:45 (Ref:2711549)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why not post some ideas of your own to give us a basis to work on.

These would include the type of facilities, an idea of the length and circuit width your looking for.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 00:22 (Ref:2711555)   #5
JVT
Rookie

United States
Florida
Sure, I was thinking 2 miles of track surface, at least one decreasing radius turn, with a track width of 25-40' wide.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 10:26 (Ref:2711777)   #6
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
couldyou give me the satellite co-ordinates for Google Earth? I feel the urge to do some SketchUp.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 10:53 (Ref:2711800)   #7
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tathrim,
how are you going to make the elevation in SketchUp?

bio
Old 14 Jun 2010, 16:12 (Ref:2712024)   #8
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simples, import the google earth image, create a grid over it, turn elevation on and drag the crosspoints up or down to the image. There you have a grid with rough elevation of the location.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 16:28 (Ref:2712034)   #9
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats a good idea. Might try myself.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 18:48 (Ref:2712121)   #10
JVT
Rookie

United States
Florida
27°40'5.76"N
81°39'44.13"W
Singaltary rd
Ft meade Fl
Old 14 Jun 2010, 22:34 (Ref:2712270)   #11
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A motorcycle track 2 miles long?

I'll have a shot at it tonight from my PC, it's my kind of project.
Old 14 Jun 2010, 22:39 (Ref:2712273)   #12
JVT
Rookie

United States
Florida
2 or 2.5miles
Have a it, still an infant business idea.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 04:00 (Ref:2712349)   #13
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sir, your site is very impressing. It can hold a track of any size, and I mean any size, so 2.5 miles only filled up a little corner up there and I believe you can have space for a shopping mall with full parking, so I congratulate you for your choice.

So as a motorcycle racer and amateur track designer I quickly sketched something using only a certain part of the terrain, I purposely used the part that looks clean of obstacles, away from the treeline so that the tree huggers don't complain much and contouring around the wet sumps so that you don't have to do much earth moving, I imagined then the perfect track for me to ride which will include a long straight, about 800m so that I can top my bike in 6th gear,a hard braking zone with a nice constant radius at the end, some high speed sweeps to get rid of the slower riders right away, the increasing radius you asked for,and infield section with directional changes to equally scratch my knee sliders , a couple more directional changes at high speed, a hairpin to use as overtaking spot followed by another directional change in which to reverse the pass, and a tricky corner to force me to choose the perfect line from where to get maximum drive to the straight.

I put many directional changes so motorcyclists can have fun passing and retaliating passes, and a couple of hard braking spots perfect for overtaking.

Not too physical, not tight or tortuous at all, more like a flowing circuit with plenty of space where to run off in case of a misshapen, no sections are aiming towards any others. This is exactly 2.52 miles long, ilustrated as 13 m wide with a 350 long pit lane,13 corners (depending on how you count them)

This is just warming up, the best track I reckon will come out after a couple of weeks of perfecting the ideas and getting feedback from you.
Attached Thumbnails
florida.png  

Last edited by LuiggiSpeed; 15 Jun 2010 at 04:06.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 10:08 (Ref:2712476)   #14
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintin03 View Post
There you have a grid with rough elevation of the location.
My point exactly. Sketchup is simply useless for serious staff because of its disability to represent curved elevation changes. Your method is excellent to do well looking designs, but for exact ones - SketchUp is not the tool, I'm afraid.

bio
Old 15 Jun 2010, 13:24 (Ref:2712575)   #15
JVT
Rookie

United States
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
My point exactly. Sketchup is simply useless for serious staff because of its disability to represent curved elevation changes. Your method is excellent to do well looking designs, but for exact ones - SketchUp is not the tool, I'm afraid.

bio
For now this is great. Actually giving me overall width and height measurements in feet would be great(meters is fine also), because it will open up many more site possibilities with more terrain and elevation changes. It appears that I have overestimated the acreage that I will need for this.
keep them coming.

Who knows YOUR track design could actually become real. If it does I promise you will see it in person.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2712661)   #16
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post

bio
OFF-TOPIC
Bio, about that, what software do you use, cos I found it once, forgot its name, and can't find it again?
Old 15 Jun 2010, 16:56 (Ref:2712665)   #17
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bio, there's nothing you can do about it. Modelling software like Google Sketchup is the most effective method of designing a track in good detail. Yes elevation is tricky and inaccurate but there's no better way.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 16:58 (Ref:2712666)   #18
JVT
Rookie

United States
Florida
Guys please keep on topic this is very important to me.

Thanks
Old 15 Jun 2010, 23:06 (Ref:2712886)   #19
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVT View Post
Guys please keep on topic this is very important to me.

Thanks
In order to keep the thread on track please provide more information regarding what exactly is required. There has been many requests such as this before that have come to nothing.
Old 15 Jun 2010, 23:23 (Ref:2712890)   #20
Alexander86
Rookie

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Alexander86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A quick conceptual sketch by me, as a love the faint hope it might get built one day. (BTW where is our friend from Brazil?)

Track is clockwise, app. 4100mtr (2,563 mile), 12,5 mtr wide (41ft). On each side I have 1,5 mtr (5ft) of grass. From (what I would reckon is) the acceleration point of T22 to the apex of T1 is about 800 mtr (0,5 mile).
The gravel traps are very roughly sketched, but are on the very safe side sizewise. As you can see I forgot to fill in the trap at T2. The space between the gravel at T5 and T15 is about 10 mtr (31ft), so wide enough for two emergency vehicles. There is also more then enough space between the gravel and the limits of the property to allow a road for vehicles of all sorts (emergency, construction), so the full extent of the land can be used for facilities.

I know the number of turns is rather high for a track this size, but not all numbers are real turns as you can see. I could straighten some parts out, but I prefer to keep the track interesting this way. This seems to be a sketch for a private track, so I expect the owner(s) to drive on it a lot. To give them the most enjoyment for their money the track should be challenging to master, exciting and rewarding.

As said, it's a very conceptual sketch, please feel free to tell me what you like and dislike. The next two weeks or so I might not have a lot of time, but I'll do my best to give this project some attention.
Attached Thumbnails
FloridaTrackV012S.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: skp FloridaTrackV012.skp (398.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 16 Jun 2010, 00:04 (Ref:2712902)   #21
JVT
Rookie

United States
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
In order to keep the thread on track please provide more information regarding what exactly is required. There has been many requests such as this before that have come to nothing.
I will absolutely provide as much information as possible. This project is in the absolute beginning stages and as time goes on I will continue in this same thread. Thanks for all of the time and effort thus far and look forward to everything from here on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander86 View Post
A quick conceptual sketch by me, as a love the faint hope it might get built one day. (BTW where is our friend from Brazil?)

Track is clockwise, app. 4100mtr (2,563 mile), 12,5 mtr wide (41ft). On each side I have 1,5 mtr (5ft) of grass. From (what I would reckon is) the acceleration point of T22 to the apex of T1 is about 800 mtr (0,5 mile).
The gravel traps are very roughly sketched, but are on the very safe side sizewise. As you can see I forgot to fill in the trap at T2. The space between the gravel at T5 and T15 is about 10 mtr (31ft), so wide enough for two emergency vehicles. There is also more then enough space between the gravel and the limits of the property to allow a road for vehicles of all sorts (emergency, construction), so the full extent of the land can be used for facilities.

I know the number of turns is rather high for a track this size, but not all numbers are real turns as you can see. I could straighten some parts out, but I prefer to keep the track interesting this way. This seems to be a sketch for a private track, so I expect the owner(s) to drive on it a lot. To give them the most enjoyment for their money the track should be challenging to master, exciting and rewarding.

As said, it's a very conceptual sketch, please feel free to tell me what you like and dislike. The next two weeks or so I might not have a lot of time, but I'll do my best to give this project some attention.
Incredible, thank you.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 16:32 (Ref:2713249)   #22
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Ooh, I like the design alex.

For me personally, I always feel that a circuit having more than 20 corners is a bit much, and that a couple of chicanes are perhaps a little unecssary. But I think thats just my personal opinion - the actual design I like, as well as the variations.

Like I say, only thing I would change is perhaps removing the chicanes (although you have included bypasses for this).

So overall, good job
Old 16 Jun 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2713328)   #23
Hf_Integrale
Rookie

Romania
Brasov, Romania
Hf_Integrale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also like it! A good job overall!
About the gravel traps: the way they look and the way they work is calculated by FIA with a special software, after you submit the design to them (both on paper and electronic version). They make a "simulation" which costs some thousands of Euro and they end up by telling you what the size of the traps should be in order for the track to be official. The software they use was developed specially for them.
Old 16 Jun 2010, 20:18 (Ref:2713354)   #24
JVT
Rookie

United States
Florida
Cool info. Thanks Guys keep it up
Old 16 Jun 2010, 20:59 (Ref:2713374)   #25
Alexander86
Rookie

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Alexander86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hf_Integrale View Post
I also like it! A good job overall!
About the gravel traps: the way they look and the way they work is calculated by FIA with a special software, after you submit the design to them (both on paper and electronic version). They make a "simulation" which costs some thousands of Euro and they end up by telling you what the size of the traps should be in order for the track to be official. The software they use was developed specially for them.
I made my estimations by looking at top level tracks.
Example: Circuit de Catalunya (Barcelona, Spanish F1 GP). The straight is over 1km long, but the gravel trap (before the tarmac run off was added) is only between 60 and 70 meters, measured straight ahead.
TT circuit Assen, home of the Dutch MotoGP race. Pits straight is 620 meters, the tarmac run off is 24 meters, the gravel another 41 meters. This part was built only a few years ago, so I reckon it's up to modern safety standards.

Although unofficial, I think this method gives you a pretty good idea what size you need your traps to be without spending thousands of dollars.