Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Aug 2003, 03:25 (Ref:689535)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Best F1 championship grand finale

Well, we could be heading for one in Suzuka this year. I love it when it goes to the last race. What was the best ever (I think we leave out 94 & 97, this is a happy thread)?

More importantly, do you have a tape you can send me so I can varify your claim?
Old 16 Aug 2003, 03:41 (Ref:689540)   #2
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
"More importantly, do you have a tape you can send me so I can varify your claim?"

How? You won't even post your location...'you expect me to believe you'd post an address? Besides, if you were really a fan, this kinda history would already be in your memory banks.

Anyhow...my choice is Mexico, '68. Hill, Stewart and Hulme had a shot at the championship in the final round (t'was a four horse race until Ickx broke his wrist in Canada and missed it and the USGP). No tape available tho' it was on ABC here in the states (I think it was ABC TV, anyway...)

jimclark
Old 16 Aug 2003, 05:04 (Ref:689572)   #3
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For drama, could you go past Mansell/Prost/Piquet, Adelaide blown tyre?

Last edited by Mattracer; 16 Aug 2003 at 05:05.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 16 Aug 2003, 06:41 (Ref:689597)   #4
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has to be Adelaide 1986. Surely.
That race had so many twists and turns.
Old 16 Aug 2003, 07:29 (Ref:689601)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For a farcical finale, how about Las Vegas 1981
Old 16 Aug 2003, 09:06 (Ref:689635)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best races were Nürburgring 57 and Suzuka 88, but those weren't finales, were they?
Old 16 Aug 2003, 09:26 (Ref:689648)   #7
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definately Adelaide '86 but being an Alain Prost fan i could be a little biased.
Old 16 Aug 2003, 10:29 (Ref:689684)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There ahven't been any rgeat ones in recent years, the championships of the late 80s and early 90s all seemed to end in the penultimate rounds, and the ones mroe recently ahve often ended with mechancial failure (1998) a supposed challenger being way off the pace (1999) or Schuamcher's usual antics (1994 and 1997). We've gotta go into teh history books for the classics.

1986 is aan obvious call, as is 1981, with Reutemann's inexplicable loss of form in the final race - I guess it's like the equivalent of Ronaldo in teh 1998 World Cup final.
Old 16 Aug 2003, 13:47 (Ref:689772)   #9
Avid Merrion
Racer

Avid Merrion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1986 , Adelaide Prost / Mansell massive puncture , that was edge of your seat watching .
Old 17 Aug 2003, 00:32 (Ref:690039)   #10
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As i only seriously took notice from about '85...
86 is an obvious one
FRANTIC driving in the opening lap,rosberg driving like he'd allways said he could with the car set right,mansell being conservative(for once!lol),prost out of it early with a puncture(or not!),mansel's HUGE tyre blow up,rosberg out with a dead engine(the noise proves to be a flap of tyre hitting the pavement..)piquet suddenly out of it -playing safe with tyres,....and prost wins-with his fuel gauge showing -4 laps!!!
94,not because it was great or anything but for how FAR mansel was left behind .At the time i thought 'these guys(hill and shu) are serious'
98,shueys fightback after a flat tyre.SERIOUSLY at the limit stuff!!!!!....
99,shu and hakkinen leaving EVERYONE for dead..it made me realise just how much difference there is bettween them and 'normal **** drivers'(DC,eddie,etc)

Hmmm,got the adrenaline pumping now...lol
Old 17 Aug 2003, 01:48 (Ref:690065)   #11
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This could be the first last round finale since 2000...
Old 17 Aug 2003, 04:03 (Ref:690093)   #12
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please SPEED! show the '86 race!!!!
Old 17 Aug 2003, 08:34 (Ref:690167)   #13
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jimclark
"More importantly, do you have a tape you can send me so I can varify your claim?"

How? You won't even post your location...'you expect me to believe you'd post an address? Besides, if you were really a fan, this kinda history would already be in your memory banks.
Come on, Jimclark, Wrex is only asking for opinions on which showdown was the best, and that choice could vary from person to person. We don't all have videotapes of all old races, I know I certainly don't (though I have highlights of quite a few).

The thing is, if this season goes down to a final race showdown, I strongly fear that we will see a repeat of Jerez 97. I don't trust TGF in those situations (with good reason), and especially as his most probable opponent will be JPM, the guy he hates most of all losing to. Fingers crossed it won't happen.
Old 17 Aug 2003, 10:49 (Ref:690250)   #14
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
R - "We don't all have videotapes of all old races, I know I certainly don't (though I have highlights of quite a few)."

Precisely why I responded as I did (although I meant to add an lol at the end of that paragraph...'can't edit now...).

'Though the race wasn't all that exciting action wise...at least there wasn't even a wisp of a thought that there might be bumping and grinding going on as would be expected these days (I presume that which you quite correctly were alluding to...the best were still gentlemen back then...'can't say the same nowadays...) We'll see come japan...

jimclark
Old 17 Aug 2003, 11:20 (Ref:690266)   #15
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Best F1 championship grand finale

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
(I think we leave out 94 & 97, this is a happy thread)?
I don't know about you but I was quite happy in 1997!
Old 17 Aug 2003, 12:29 (Ref:690296)   #16
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Ah, yes, ultimatetly justice prevailed, just did'nt want the thread spoilt with yet another bash
Old 17 Aug 2003, 12:31 (Ref:690299)   #17
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, JC, what you wrote just sounded a bit harsh on first reading.

Teddy, me too.
Old 17 Aug 2003, 14:21 (Ref:690355)   #18
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Of those I have seen (on telly), Adelaide 1986, 3 different champions during the race.

Of all time, perhaps Mexico 1964, 3 different champions on the last LAP...
Old 17 Aug 2003, 16:16 (Ref:690409)   #19
TuscanR
Racer

England
Hertfordshire
TuscanR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant belive that no one has mentioned the Hunt lauda battle I dont remember it first time round(to young at only 25) but I have seen the footage and that season seemed to have everything. Ive said it before and I will say it again that was a time of real men and mad machinery they have my vote and my respect.
Old 17 Aug 2003, 17:11 (Ref:690430)   #20
beau
Racer

beau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ummmmm hard one the best or maybe the worst Senna/Prost 89/90
Old 17 Aug 2003, 18:11 (Ref:690454)   #21
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Yep,1976 Hunt vs Lauda.
Sadly we didn't have home video machines in those days,but the James Hunt book 'Against All Odds' captures the drama of the day pretty well.
Old 17 Aug 2003, 19:19 (Ref:690487)   #22
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
Yep,1976 Hunt vs Lauda.
Sadly we didn't have home video machines in those days,but the James Hunt book 'Against All Odds' captures the drama of the day pretty well.

Gerald Donaldson's James Hunt biography is another good book about that as well.

1976 was a great championship battle, but the Senna Vs Schumacher rivalry would probably have beaten it if Senna hadn't been killed
Old 17 Aug 2003, 19:28 (Ref:690490)   #23
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can`t believe nobody has said 83, what a classic year, Piquet, Prost and Arnoux going into the last round, never mind great finale, probably the best season in my opinion, i think it was 8 different winners, Turbo and Cossie engines both competetive in the first half of the year, some of the most gorgeous cars ever, mind you i was only 13 and Brands was my first grand prix so maybe i am looking back through rose tinted specs a bit, but whatever it was a brilliant year.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 02:50 (Ref:690723)   #24
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
DieRitter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
81 and 83 were definitely great. 86 FANTASTIC.

Interesting enough, Piquet (the driver many of us deslike) was a contender in all of them... deserved to win 81 and 82. But in 86, well... I had no doubt it was going Mansell's way until the puncture that gave Prost another WDC.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 07:56 (Ref:690854)   #25
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1986 stands out in most people's minds simply because of THE blowout. Mansell was most certainly robbed, as he had done everything right up until that point in time...

1981 was weird simply because Reutemann went missing...