Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Feb 2004, 14:51 (Ref:866375)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brothers in Racing

As a corollary (no Toyota pun intended) to the thread about father and son racing combinations, it's interesting to ntoe that there have been 9 pairs of brothers racing in F1 - not couting the World Championship Indy 500s - Schumacher, Stewart, Scheckter, Fabi, Villenueve, Winkelhock, Brabham, Rodriguez, Fitipaldi and another which escapes me.

Wilson Fitipaldi, Jacques Villenueve Snr (uncle of the recent one), Ian Scheckter and Stewart's brother (who I believe was also called Ian - which is also my brotehr's name, what a shame I never took up racing....) were seriously outshone by their brothers, Pedro Rodriguez and Manfred Winkelhock weren't around long enough to prove themselves, Teo Fabi had a longer career than Corrado but was probably more talented, none of the younger Brabhams got a great chance, and Ralf arguably hasn't matched Michael.

Generally the younger siblings have been more successful - which I would attribute to the fact that they're likely to become interested around the same time as their older brother, making them younger when they start, also they won't repeat any strategic mistakes their brother makes on the way up.

DO you see it as strange that only 19 brotehrs have raced in F1, out of around 800 entrants? Or is it a strangely high total, especially considering others such as Aldo and Jeff Andretti, Jordi Gene, the Kayes, the Blairs, the Sperafico clan, the Bodines in NASCAR, the Jourdains, the Earnhardts (strictly half-brothers) and so on?
Old 7 Feb 2004, 14:58 (Ref:866380)   #2
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, Ralf hasn't matched Michael. And I think Corrado was said to be the more talented Fabi.
Ricardo Rodriguez was said to be the better brother but he was killed so soon.... One of those like Brise, Bellof, Pryce.

The figure doesn't seem unusually high or low to me. It is to be expected that people in the same family will influence each other but the demands of the sport mean that few families will produce a winner twice.

In the future we may have Piquet brothers racing and maybe the first brother-sister combination, courtesy of the Frentzens.

p.s. Jimmy Stewart.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 15:03 (Ref:866384)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good question.

I think its rare when brothers, or sisters for that matter, are both born with similar skills, desires, or personalities. It seems that there rarely born alike, in other words, one maybe born with all the tools to be a great racer, but the other one might be more suited to being a mechanic, or such.

Its this rarety, which I believe is the major reason we don't see more pairs of brothers racing together.

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Feb 2004, 15:11 (Ref:866389)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My mistake on the Rodriguez brothers and on Jimmy Stewart's name.

As an aside, there are lots of cases in music of brothers or sisters being in acts together, or producing the same style - Oasis, The Darkness, Orbital, B*Witched, Bros, Embrace and The Kinks all come to mind. Is this because these people were born with isntinctively similar taste in music, and similar ability to play instruments, or is it because both were exposed to the same influences from a young age? In essence, nature against nurture, which is a very wide subject of debate.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 15:16 (Ref:866391)   #5
santori
Racer

santori should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mmm, but in music talents can complement each other. Would Dave Davies have been heard of without Ray's writing abilites? But would Ray have done so well without Dave?
The style is a result of a combination of the abilites - people often sound very different when they leave a group.

Whereas in F1 there's not much one can do for the other.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 23:47 (Ref:866716)   #6
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I think the other set is Graham and Peter Whitehead (before my time, so don't know who was better but I knew of Peter).

I don't think there's anything "arguable" about Ralf and Michael, do you?

Both of the Rodriguez brothers were very talented - I think Pedro is one of the greatest underrated drivers ever.

In USA, the Unsers deserve mention.

Australia has Bob and Bill Jane, Ian and Leo Geoghegan and currently, F3 star Will and Carrera Cup man Alex Davison (their father Jon also raced and so did their grandfather Lex).
Old 8 Feb 2004, 11:11 (Ref:866948)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Since we've mentioned sisters as well, and I know it's not FI, but Stirling's sister, Pat, was pretty good in rally cars, including big Healeys. She just liked horses as well!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 8 Feb 2004, 22:41 (Ref:867513)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Not forgetting Colin and Alister McRae, and - stretching a point - Gilles and Herve Panizzi. And, as was pointed out on the Fathers and Sons thread, Jean-Michel and Philippe Martin.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 02:20 (Ref:867697)   #9
BMW V10
Rookie

BMW V10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a lot of it has to do with opportunity. Very few people have the opporunity to develope their racing skills and see if they have what it takes to become a professional. Probably less than one in a hundred people have this opportunity. If your brother has the opportunity to drive karts and what not you probably would too. Sports like running or swimming most people have the chance to see how good they are. Whether or not they make it to the highest level has less to do with their family background or income.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 15:44 (Ref:868341)   #10
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi Räikkönen's brother is driving rally. He has been one of the best in Finnish junior series.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 17:14 (Ref:868469)   #11
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Imagine if Jim Clark had had brothers not sisters!
Old 9 Feb 2004, 17:38 (Ref:868509)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Depends which way you swing, Rennen.