Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 23 Nov 2013, 16:56 (Ref:3335702)   #1
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Taking wife/girlfriend/significant other to Le Mans

Just wondering what experiences you guys (I think the large majority of us are guys) have had with taking the fairer sex to Le Mans. Any recommendations, suggestions, things to avoid to make the experience more pleasant for them?

I'll tell you a little of my history and my plans on taking my wife to Le Mans for the first time next year and maybe you wouldn't mind confirming what you think are good ideas, what I might want to do differently and the like. I know that all women are different and that what my wife likes and dislikes may be different than yours, but in a lot of ways they are also very similar creatures (similar in the sense that we'll never hope to understand them in the slightest).

Besides, it's yet another thing to talk about until next June.

So...my history with taking my wife to the races...

She's actually pretty good about it and tends to make the most of it. She does enjoy the cars and has an appreciation for them. What she is not a huge fan of is sitting in the same spot for hours and hours. Her lowest point was our first (and last together, I've since been four times without her) trip to Sebring. Not even half way into the race we had to leave after she'd picked a shady spot to read a book and was asked by a drunk guy, "Hey ***** what book are you reading?" Ya, that's understandable then as to why you want to leave. However she has also had fun camping at Petit Le Mans and enjoys a good campfire after the sessions are done and meeting interesting and fun new people.

At Le Mans we are camping at the Travel Destinations Porsche Curves site. As much as I'll enjoy it too, I think it's mandatory that she has access to the private restrooms and showers that are afforded at this site. I wouldn't even dream of asking her to camp in a "normal" site. We'll get there on Wednesday and stay until Monday. But I want to make sure that there are things done away from the track during this time so that she doesn't get burnt out. As such on Thursday we'll head South to visit some chateaus and wineries, getting back in time for qualifying at night. On Friday we'll also spend the majority of the day in Le Mans town center, having a nice long lunch before the parade. I'm not going to make her stay awake for the entire race and will actually plan to sleep a good five or six hours with her.

I also decided to get grandstand seats at Dunlop in the hopes that she'll be excited to be right next to the concert, food and amusement ride area. This way maybe we can spend more time watching the race if we can get up and walk around close by and then get back to our seats after a short diversion.

The one thing I am most worried about though is that she'll get sick of the long, long walk from Porsche Curves to Dunlop and the paddock. I've never been able to figure out how the trams work, why they never seem to come around, and then once they finally do come around they are completely packed and don't stop to pick up anyone. Anyone have any tips on them?

So, how do my plans sound, what have been your experiences? I just want to get it right so that she'll want to come back, I don't want another Sebring experience.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 17:08 (Ref:3335706)   #2
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Just wondering what experiences you guys (I think the large majority of us are guys) have had with taking the fairer sex to Le Mans. Any recommendations, suggestions, things to avoid to make the experience more pleasant for them?
I've taken two of my then girlfriends to Le Mans (different years!), and both times it was not a pleasant experience. So no third time for me. But each to their own of course. As you've mentioned yourself already, comfort and cleanliness is very important, so the TD site is a good bet. I'd do some non-race related stuff on the friday, go visit the old city near the cathedral for instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
I've never been able to figure out how the trams work, why they never seem to come around, and then once they finally do come around they are completely packed and don't stop to pick up anyone. Anyone have any tips on them?
Yes, avoid them like the plague!
Old 23 Nov 2013, 17:12 (Ref:3335711)   #3
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
I've taken two of my then girlfriends to Le Mans (different years!), and both times it was not a pleasant experience. So no third time for me. But each to their own of course. As you've mentioned yourself already, comfort and cleanliness is very important, so the TD site is a good bet. I'd do some non-race related stuff on the friday, go visit the old city near the cathedral for instance.
Bummer about your experiences, maybe a third time would be the charm?

Are there any specific places you recommend in the old city? My only previous experience in the town proper has been in the square or nearby to where the parade route ends.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 17:21 (Ref:3335713)   #4
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Site of the Le Mans tourism office, with sub-site dedicated to the 'Vieux Ville':
http://www.lemanstourisme.com/dnn/me.../Default.aspx#
Old 23 Nov 2013, 17:28 (Ref:3335717)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I think you will be surprised at Le mans, but do not expect the old funfair near the dunlop bridge that went years ago and the big wheel etc are now closer to the ford chicane, however there are a few tacky bumper cars close by.
The facilities at the better sites are very good and obviously they are much closer to the main area than the travel destinations site which is a long walk to anything. Our group always includes several women, some wives and daughters and they enjoy the experience, most have been for many years without a miss. Not sure about the sites out on the porsche curves having never stayed there myself but in general there is very few problems and she should enjoy herself.
The concerts on wednesday and thursday are sometimes better than the saturday one if all depends on who is booked but we will known long before June. Make sure that you get to the saturday meet, food and drink comes from all corners of the motor racing world and you will both enjoy talking to all those on the forum.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 21:30 (Ref:3335803)   #6
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Have been to Le Mans and whole array of other sportscar races with my wife (we do Silverstone, Spa, and Le Mans most years), and 2014 will be our 8th straight visit to La Sarthe. She may comment herself (she has been known to lurk on here) but in advance of that my thoughts are...

- Le Mans is a lot more relaxed than your description of Sebring sounds. M has at times had people look at her slightly oddly when she settles into her book while in her grandstand seat, but never had anything approaching hassle.
- The walk from Travel Destinations to Dunlop will be a bit of a way, but it will take you through the village / past the shops behind the grandstands which can provide a bit of entertainment value.
- M doesn't camp in general, having good showers and clean toilets is a must for her. I guess TD will be able to supply that.
- There's a lot that's fun to do around Le Mans. Villandry is great for the chateau and particularly the gardens, La Lude is a pleasingly ramshackle chateau, Solesmes has a nice restaurant in its hotel and the monastery is quite impressive, and the Perche valley has some nice small villages to go antiquing in. We make a point of trying to fit a bit of a holiday around our Le Mans trip, and in particular try to spend a night at a very nice chateau hotel either on the way there or the way back. DM me if you want details of this sort of thing.
- The campfire atmosphere works and if she's enjoyed it at PLM I suspect you'll get the same experience at Le Mans. We've always met some interesting people, enjoyed fun cameraderie, and made some lasting friendships over barbecues at Le Mans.
- The meet on the Saturday morning is morphing into something that's highly "other half" friendly, it's an opportunity for the French members of the forum to rightly show off the best of their country, and for the rest of us to bring something representative of ours - the French wine and British cheese, to say nothing of Dutch gin and eastern rocket fuel, worked extraordinarily well in 2013.

I think your plans sound fine and you both will have fun. You can, every once in a while, encounter an ar5e at Le Mans as you can anywhere, but they're pretty thin on the ground and relatively easy to avoid, so I suspect you're safe in avoiding your Sebring experience. Take it in the right spirit, enjoy the opportunity to combine a visit to a particularly nice bit of France with a stupendous race, and you'll have a blast.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 21:56 (Ref:3335808)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perfectly put Ian.........
Old 24 Nov 2013, 14:19 (Ref:3336009)   #8
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My wife didn't like the race at all. Would have been better for her to explore a city like Chartres on her own for a day or two while I could really immerse my self into the race. When I'm at a race I want to see it from the entire circuit - which means a lot of walking.
The other option is that you might want to consider is the Michelin hospitality venue. Very pricey - but would provide some comfort for her while you're exploring the circuit. Believe my wife would have been content in there having a glass a wine while I could be out watching the race.
Old 24 Nov 2013, 14:49 (Ref:3336018)   #9
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why don't you ask Travel Destinations for a) ideas on getting around while avoiding the trams, and b) ideas on what to see/do in the area? My understanding is that they are very good with problem-solving of that sort, and may even have their own arrangements. Makes sense -- they want you to have a good time and come back!

My own suggestion for something to do in the old town is: take the stairs down the hill behind the cathedral to the old walls along the river. The town has created a lovely medieval garden between the walls and the river, and the walls themselves were built with patterns in the bricks/stones. The area where the garden is used to be where the tanneries were located, because they needed water from the river. They also smelled pretty bad so putting them outside the walls was probably a defense strategy!

BTW, good on you for trying to make your wife's experience at Le Mans a comfortable one. I wish I could afford to do the same for my husband!
keke
Old 24 Nov 2013, 15:23 (Ref:3336031)   #10
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
- There's a lot that's fun to do around Le Mans. Villandry is great for the chateau and particularly the gardens, La Lude is a pleasingly ramshackle chateau, Solesmes has a nice restaurant in its hotel and the monastery is quite impressive, and the Perche valley has some nice small villages to go antiquing in. We make a point of trying to fit a bit of a holiday around our Le Mans trip, and in particular try to spend a night at a very nice chateau hotel either on the way there or the way back. DM me if you want details of this sort of thing.
Awesome! This is the kind of stuff I was interested in seeing, things not racing related and away from the circuit that would hold her interest and possibly make her want to come back.

I have a super boring desk job, and I'm also a planner. So I've already got it all planned to the hour (I know, not much for spontaneity). On the Thursday we will be driving down to see Villandry and a couple other chateaus (Chambord and another I can't remember right now). I'll have to get details from you for (hopefully) the next time we come over as I've already booked and planned everything around the trip. We are making a grand vacation out of this as it is already an investment in time, money and energy to come over from the US. We'll be lever for three weeks, going to Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France (obviously) and ending in Spain. I've already been to all those places besides Spain, for my wife it will all be new!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake dust View Post
The other option is that you might want to consider is the Michelin hospitality venue. Very pricey - but would provide some comfort for her while you're exploring the circuit. Believe my wife would have been content in there having a glass a wine while I could be out watching the race.
We may be getting this for free through one of my good friends and neighbors who works at Michelin NA HQ here in Greenville. Keeping my fingers crossed for that! lease:

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
My own suggestion for something to do in the old town is: take the stairs down the hill behind the cathedral to the old walls along the river. The town has created a lovely medieval garden between the walls and the river, and the walls themselves were built with patterns in the bricks/stones. The area where the garden is used to be where the tanneries were located, because they needed water from the river. They also smelled pretty bad so putting them outside the walls was probably a defense strategy!
Thanks for the suggestion! Yes, this is the kind of thing I want to do and will now plan on doing. Thank you!
Old 24 Nov 2013, 18:05 (Ref:3336071)   #11
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Not sure if your other half likes classic cars but the Classic British Welcome at St saturin on Friday is a brilliant day out and most of girls in our group do enjoy that
Old 24 Nov 2013, 18:11 (Ref:3336077)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake dust View Post

That's sounds like a lot of glasses of wine or one veeeeeerrrrrryyyyy long one......
Old 24 Nov 2013, 19:11 (Ref:3336111)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the tenths meeting on saturday is definitely a very friendly affair

once or twice i felt a little bit uncomfortable as a woman, but that was only when walking alone at about 4am in a reasonably dark bit on the way up to dunlop and i just kept my head down and carried on.

everyone does le mans differently, she's unlikely to get any stick for reading a book there, or being sat by the tent at an inappropriate hour!

everything else i can't really offer any feedback on because castles bore me senseless, but i'm sure the guys will be able to suggest plenty of ways their better halves keep busy.

however, she should bring her own bog roll and wet wipes if she's even a tiny little bit fussy about things being clean at home!
Old 24 Nov 2013, 19:58 (Ref:3336146)   #14
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One of the lads at work takes has girlfriend (in fact by the next year she will be his wife) and has a fantastic time. I did ask my girlfriend (now wife) to come with me in 2009 as she declined, I think taking her to the Silverstone 1000km put her of sportscar racing for life.
Old 24 Nov 2013, 20:40 (Ref:3336160)   #15
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Genuinely delighted to share what we've found works and doesn't work - for us Le Mans is an excuse to have an annual French holiday that also involves a car race. I'm keener on the cars, M likes the food, culture, surroundings, and tolerates the whole racing car thing. It's about compromise, and it works.

If it all works do drop me a DM for 2015 and beyond, trial and error has meant we've found some good stuff to do / places to stay that I suspect will convince MrsATLFalconsFAN that there's a lot more to this part of France than a race track.
Old 24 Nov 2013, 23:52 (Ref:3336262)   #16
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
One of the lads at work takes has girlfriend (in fact by the next year she will be his wife) and has a fantastic time. I did ask my girlfriend (now wife) to come with me in 2009 as she declined, I think taking her to the Silverstone 1000km put her of sportscar racing for life.
I think there's a really salient point to be had here Rob - M hasn't been overwhelmed by Silverstone, on a number of levels (and just so this isn't seen as UK bashing Spa comes in for an even greater level of ire). If we can identify some of the reasons more casual fans or trailing spouses object to sportscar racing with some empirical bits of evidence maybe we can start to meaningfully influence opinion where it counts, which I think we'd all be in favour of.
Old 25 Nov 2013, 18:37 (Ref:3336627)   #17
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's sounds like a lot of glasses of wine or one veeeeeerrrrrryyyyy long one..
Too funnny! Yes with me running about the race, there would be time for more than one glass! :=)
Old 27 Nov 2013, 15:22 (Ref:3337413)   #18
Flem
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Flem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
I took my girlfriend to the Silverstone 1000km this year and she enjoyed it, I think it helped that she'd done a half marathon there that year (she's a runner) as she kind of knew the circuit a bit and we could chat a bit about that. The only real issue she had was the constant noise from the cars but she got used to that after a while. It did help that I made her dress as if we were going to the arctic as otherwise she would have been very chilly.

She's actually said that she'd like to go to Le Mans although sadly it won't be next year!
Old 27 Nov 2013, 18:00 (Ref:3337461)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Gives you plenty of time to sort out the plans for 2015 then and give her another dose of WEC at Silverstone next April!
Old 29 Nov 2013, 23:50 (Ref:3338381)   #20
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My wife and I will be at Le Mans next year. She is not a motorsport fan, but is quite happy to be going, to experience the event. She'll probably be seeing the start, finish and some of the night racing, but will otherwise occupy the four days we are there, reading, relaxing (maybe ) and having a look around the town, crowds permitting. I, however will be attempting to get around and see and experience as much as I can, which is the whole point of being there. To say that I am really looking forward to it, is a massive understatement.
Old 30 Nov 2013, 00:25 (Ref:3338393)   #21
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
My wife and I will be at Le Mans next year. She is not a motorsport fan, but is quite happy to be going, to experience the event. She'll probably be seeing the start, finish and some of the night racing, but will otherwise occupy the four days we are there, reading, relaxing (maybe ) and having a look around the town, crowds permitting. I, however will be attempting to get around and see and experience as much as I can, which is the whole point of being there. To say that I am really looking forward to it, is a massive understatement.
Sounds a lot like our experience. My other half finds it enormously relaxing, as it's clearly divorced from home/work etc, and the opportunity to sit back and play with the barbecue etc.

Le Mans has a bit of a "lads weekend away" / spring break reputation, but planned right there's nothing stopping it being a really enjoyable couple's trip too.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 18:06 (Ref:3340892)   #22
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Ever since my second year('97) my lady joined us for the annual pilgrimage. Sadly, she's missed the last three years due to our son, who's now two years of age. As things stand now, she'll most definetly join us again in 2014 since our boy will be able to stay with grandma.
I've missed her dearly, those last three years.

I must say though that I can very well imagine many wifes/girlfriends prefer to stay home if I see the deeply shamefull state their husbands/boyfriends turn in when they're drunk beyond anything that's funny...
Old 9 Dec 2013, 17:48 (Ref:3342010)   #23
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't forget this thread.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136825
Old 9 Dec 2013, 21:13 (Ref:3342087)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Indeed! And I've changed the thread title to suit.....
Old 6 Jan 2014, 20:48 (Ref:3351021)   #25
Blue Rondeau
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent, UK
Blue Rondeau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the trailing spouse of isynge I think I should offer a few comments - but as a first I do agree with most of the things he has posted!
I really enjoy our trip to Le Mans but we do compromise. I like the cars but accept that he will watch more then me - that is fine neither of us is upset if he watches car and I read a book. He always has his phone on him and if I need him back text messages work. It is very lads heavy so I like to know that I can call for reinforcements if I'm not comfortable but this has never happened. the camp sites we stay in is really friendly and we have made friends over the years. We stay in TR and I do like being next to the track as I can pop back and forth to the text and our clean bathrooms!
isynge has mentioned the places I like to visit away from the circuit already so I'll not repeat.
I love to cook so isynge makes sure we have time to visit the store and whilst he is off with cars I happily cook - the cool camping cook book is full of good ideas.
I enjoy photography but not of racing cars but the bits around the site - we compromise I leave him in the stands for a while and take pictures then re-join for some more cars. basically we break up his can watching with lots of walking around and me going to do bits of other things.

It helps if you have some idea of what is going on - little things like understanding the lights to show the cars in the first 3 places per class help. Explain the difference between the types of cars - if this takes more then 5 minutes you have given to much detail! I like the updates on the race and a bit about the teams and driver history brings it to life.

Take the Ferris wheel at night - it's fun and gave me a sense of the scale and more willingness to travel around the circuit. It gets cold at night and rains most years - we girls feel the cold and I get grumpy when cold. do come to the meet it is good fun and a good way to meet other people who may not watch all 24 hours of racing, plus practice, plus.....

The one real down I have is not about Le Mans but motor racing in general. I work in a military environment so am pretty tolerant of lads 'culture' but the parade of half dressed girls from the teams with middle aged men taking pictures like they are less then people I find really unpleasant and is one of the main reasons we will not take my nephews. We go but spend less time near the team stands and I don't do the visit to the pit lane. isynge I think feels a bit uncomfortable when people assume because I'm a girl I'm stupid and don't have a voice in our car purchase - I bet Audi would not race if they did not think it sold cars.