Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 12 Dec 2021, 21:54 (Ref:4089048)   #376
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Good point. Could just be two little side wings?
Yes and they're sitting in front/above rear fender holes! They're almost like those giant gurney flaps on the back of the Porsche 908 (among others). I enhanced the shady part of the image a bit.

The diffuser is massive, but seems to lack any strakes?

The central part of the rear deck is now a separate piece, meaning the whole section between the rear arches could be an adjustable splitter. Something I suggested after the initial concept unveiling. If not, the choice of adjustable element is the car's biggest mystery.

Last edited by Pandamasque; 12 Dec 2021 at 22:08.
Old 13 Dec 2021, 14:54 (Ref:4089261)   #377
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Look to me more than winglets - depends what they've obscured....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
My preference is that at Le Mans they run one car with and one without! Like all those different Matra back in the day.

Homologation blah blah.
I was trying to convince myself that this is a test for the car, and that they are actually, you know, testing different aero solutions!
Old 13 Dec 2021, 17:53 (Ref:4089352)   #378
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
At which track did they test?
Or is it a private Peugeot track?
Old 13 Dec 2021, 18:22 (Ref:4089368)   #379
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's a road nearby the factory where the car is assembled, also 908 had a shakedown on a public road according to pics released by peugeot on september/ocotber 2010
Old 14 Dec 2021, 05:50 (Ref:4089498)   #380
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 14 Dec 2021, 14:37 (Ref:4089617)   #381
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
I'm under the impression this is some kind of crude early version of the aero which is only there for a shakedown to make sure the car accelerates and stops and all systems work, while the real thing is undergoing wind tunnel testing.

It's funny how, despite very different timelines, were about to see spyshots of Porsche, the updated Toyota, Peugeot, Audi and maybe even Cadillac and Ferrari at pretty much the same time.
Old 15 Dec 2021, 12:00 (Ref:4089806)   #382
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
At which track did they test?
Or is it a private Peugeot track?
Probably

No details of the run have been released by Peugeot, except that it took place at a proving ground and that one of the seven drivers signed for its 2022 WEC campaign was at the wheel.

She described the location as "a confidential track somewhere" but did not confirm when the run took place.

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/...cture/6881512/
Old 16 Dec 2021, 08:52 (Ref:4090012)   #383
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
2022 regs have been published and the wheel+rim size tables are the same as in the 2021 April version but now there's a clarification: cars homologated before 2023 can still choose the F31/R31 option. So in other words no effect on Peugeot.

https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/118
Old 16 Dec 2021, 16:45 (Ref:4090126)   #384
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
2022 regs have been published and the wheel+rim size tables are the same as in the 2021 April version but now there's a clarification: cars homologated before 2023 can still choose the F31/R31 option. So in other words no effect on Peugeot.

https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/118
Is this a way to try and help equalize the 2wd and 4wd cars? Less of a surface patch to deploy the front wheels with?
Old 2 Jan 2022, 16:32 (Ref:4092214)   #385
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Wondering when they'll debut the new program, Sebring is unlikely imo due to the short timeline and complicated logistics but might Spa be a more realistic prospect?

https://www.facebook.com/peugeot.spo...type=3&theater
Old 2 Jan 2022, 19:19 (Ref:4092229)   #386
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not so complicated to be honest, they’d only have to get as much as they possibly can in containers before about early february. they can always airfreight out the last few parts, the cost of an extra carnet wouldn’t blow their budget apart.
Old 2 Jan 2022, 20:30 (Ref:4092235)   #387
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
I really doubt they'd be ready to load anything into anything before May. Even Spa debut is optimistic considering the car has yet to begin testing, for all we know.
Old 3 Jan 2022, 14:41 (Ref:4092313)   #388
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, I think Peugeot are just doing what most manufacturers do, not revealing anything too soon and trying to iron out any problems behind the scenes. I think they are aiming to get the car ready for Le Mans at the latest
Old 3 Jan 2022, 15:45 (Ref:4092325)   #389
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Wondering when they'll debut the new program, Sebring is unlikely imo due to the short timeline and complicated logistics but might Spa be a more realistic prospect?

https://www.facebook.com/peugeot.spo...type=3&theater
Interesting that they specifically said WEC debut but didn't mention Le Mans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yes, I think Peugeot are just doing what most manufacturers do, not revealing anything too soon and trying to iron out any problems behind the scenes. I think they are aiming to get the car ready for Le Mans at the latest
I think a Le Mans debut would be great but they certainly don't want to rush it and have a debut like Nissan. Especially if they are trying something unconventional.
Old 4 Jan 2022, 09:53 (Ref:4092432)   #390
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Interesting that they specifically said WEC debut but didn't mention Le Mans.

I think a Le Mans debut would be great but they certainly don't want to rush it and have a debut like Nissan. Especially if they are trying something unconventional.
I think right from the announcement that they were aiming for 2022 they were careful not to mention Le Mans. We all know that it would be the ideal place to debut a French car, but you're spot on that we also all know how it worked out for Nissan. No point bringing a car to much fanfare and it being a complete turkey.

I still think the bosses will be keen to push for Le Mans though
Old 4 Jan 2022, 12:11 (Ref:4092447)   #391
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From a PR perspective they will have an almost clean run at Le Mans 2022 if they attend.

'23 they get out-shined by Ferrari, Porsche etc. Just so much new going on that year. Might even get someone like Rossi there too. Hard to stand out.

So to miss this year's race and debut on the other side of the world at Fuji would be a massive marketing own goal. But as others have said, ultimately it's a multi-year programme and you have to always balance performance and PR objectives.
Old 4 Jan 2022, 16:09 (Ref:4092467)   #392
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They can limit the amount of trumpet action themselves. Say the right things…

I’m sure the ACO would like to encourage it.

It’s a long time ago, but they did go in 1991 with a car that wasn’t fit for the 24h.
Old 4 Jan 2022, 17:38 (Ref:4092473)   #393
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
From a PR perspective they will have an almost clean run at Le Mans 2022 if they attend.

'23 they get out-shined by Ferrari, Porsche etc. Just so much new going on that year. Might even get someone like Rossi there too. Hard to stand out.

So to miss this year's race and debut on the other side of the world at Fuji would be a massive marketing own goal. But as others have said, ultimately it's a multi-year programme and you have to always balance performance and PR objectives.

From what I've learned from work experience, PR of big corporations are usually the last one to know important corporate decisions it may happen one day RP is instructed to release a certain statemen and the very next day same PR team has to release a statement that contradicts the previous one because they were last minute warned of more recent changes...
I wouldn't rely much on that, also because we are writing abuot peugeot... the same company that was officially revealing 908 HY4 to the world when board was already deciding which racing program and assets cut off to avoid massive layoffs to keep on getting government financial support.
To me the matter is simple, if peugeot engineers think to be ok with real life tests data, I think they're going to homologate the car in time for LM, which would be great on a PR perspective as well. If real life data from tests won't match with their simulations and 9X8 will need a lot of rework/redesign, I don't think the car will debut this year since once homologated the car can't receive big updates/changes for years.
Old 4 Jan 2022, 23:24 (Ref:4092506)   #394
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's a good point. Peugeot certainly do not want to be embarrassed at the great race that they have won at before. It's alright for some who have never achieved anything at Le Mans before, but this is a big brand with a some great success in this category of racing.

Certainly I'll be interested to see how good the car is. Hopefully they can get testing before too long and can sort any teething problems that come up. But if not, we might have to wait another year for them to come
Old 7 Jan 2022, 16:47 (Ref:4092789)   #395
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It's a good point. Peugeot certainly do not want to be embarrassed at the great race that they have won at before. It's alright for some who have never achieved anything at Le Mans before, but this is a big brand with a some great success in this category of racing.

Certainly I'll be interested to see how good the car is. Hopefully they can get testing before too long and can sort any teething problems that come up. But if not, we might have to wait another year for them to come

It's more about common sense to me... in 2014 porsche wasn't satisfied of first model of 919 and for 2015 remade the whole car/engine/hybrid from scratch, unfortunately this can't be done anymore... if you homologate a wrong designed/developed car, that's your car for next 4-5 years.
Old 7 Jan 2022, 18:42 (Ref:4092801)   #396
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
You're forgetting the Joker upgrades that are basically allowed between seasons, like what Toyota and Glickenhaus are exploiting right now. The current homolgation rules are primarily intended to prevent the runaway in-season development that we've seen in the past. And even with the Joker rules, I do believe that there's limits there to what can/can't be changed at one time.

Not to mention the 4:1 downforce to drag ratio and overt use of BOP are basically intended to discourage development, anyways.
Old 7 Jan 2022, 18:46 (Ref:4092802)   #397
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
You're forgetting the Joker upgrades that are basically allowed between seasons, like what Toyota and Glickenhaus are exploiting right now. The current homolgation rules are primarily intended to prevent the runaway in-season development that we've seen in the past. And even with the Joker rules, I do believe that there's limits there to what can/can't be changed at one time.

Not to mention the 4:1 downforce to drag ratio and overt use of BOP are basically intended to discourage development, anyways.
I know but joker upgrades is just to fix/update details like fuel pump for toyota and bbw for 007, but it won't let peugeot to redesign the whole car, considering we're talking about a car with a radical and way unconventional aero. I still can't understand if they are trying to create the ultimate wing-car or what else...
Old 14 Jan 2022, 01:28 (Ref:4093660)   #398
deggis
Veteran

Finland
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ce-at-le-mans/

Quote:
“They must race one event before,” said Lequien. “So we expect to have them at Spa-Francorchamps.

Lequien added that Peugeot’s requirement to enter at least one race before Le Mans is necessary for Balance of Performance purposes.
Hard to take this ultimatum very seriously.
Old 14 Jan 2022, 06:34 (Ref:4093680)   #399
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...ce-at-le-mans/
Hard to take this ultimatum very seriously.
I am certain that Toyota will ensure that it is taken seriously.
No way Toyota will allow Peugeot to turn up with a non-BoP machine.
Old 14 Jan 2022, 12:19 (Ref:4093723)   #400
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Has it been given a rear wing yet?