Old 2 Mar 2004, 17:44 (Ref:891470)   #1
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PT Named Driver Of The Year By Racer Magazine Readers

Paul Tracy Named Driver Of The Year By Racer Magazine Readers

INDIANAPOLIS (March 2, 2004) – Forsythe Racing’s Paul Tracy put together one of the best seasons in Champ Car World Series history in 2003 on his way to winning his first Champ Car title, cementing his status as one of the top drivers in all of auto racing.

The readership of RACER magazine, as well of its Internet news arm www.speedtv.com, agreed that Tracy’s 2003 season was one to remember as they voted the Canadian Champ Car driver as the Racer of the Year.

Tracy, who won seven races, six poles and 10 podiums on his way to the 2003 title, was named the top driver of the year over such racing luminaries as Formula One World Champion Michael Schumacher, NASCAR titlewinner Matt Kenseth and USAC record-setter J.J. Yeley.

“This is a very nice accolade, especially because of the company of drivers included in the voting,” Tracy said. “When you are on a list with Michael Schumacher who just won his sixth F1 championship and some of the other great drivers in the world, and the fans consider you to have had a better year than he did, that’s quite an honor.”

The award was one of many for the 2003 Champ Car World Series title winner, as Tracy also received first-team All American status in the voting by the American Auto Racing Writers and Broadcasters Association. He was the only finalist other than eventual winner Ryan Newman to receive more than one vote for the Driver of the Year Award presented by SPEED Channel and was also voted as the WorldCom Most Popular Driver for the second consecutive season.

“Paul certainly deserves every honor awarded to him after his great 2003 Champ Car season,” said Champ Car President Dick Eidswick. “Not only is the RACER magazine award a great tribute to Paul, it is a tribute to the level of competition in the Champ Car World Series as well as to what it takes to be a champion in our series.”

The nominees for the RACER awards were developed through suggestions of the magazine’s editorial staff along with other racing insiders. The nominees in a number of categories were then voted upon by racing fans either through RACER or via the speedtv.com website.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 19:47 (Ref:891612)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMO well deserved. Cicale said last year that PT does his best when he feels he's the underdog. If he get's too confident he starts losing control. Let's hope the accolates and title don't start going to his head.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 20:56 (Ref:891675)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just tell the IRL people and they'll be glad to start writing him "you stink" e-mails to keep him humble!

Personally I think he's very much deserving of the championship and of this award and I hope they will send him to the Rally of Champions because PT in a Rally Car would be worth the price of a ticket to the Canary Islands!
Old 3 Mar 2004, 03:46 (Ref:892022)   #4
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only problem with that is there need to be three drivers. I don't know who else Canada could send to that event. Ron Fellows? Villeneuve?(never happen)...
Old 3 Mar 2004, 17:48 (Ref:892591)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ron Fellows would be good -- he can drive anything -- and I confess I am stumped for a third champion from Canada. Isn't that sad?
Old 3 Mar 2004, 20:49 (Ref:892796)   #6
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Patrick Richard? He is a rally driver, and a champion. Although the Canadian Rally Championship isn't much of an international series, he did compete in a few WRC events.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 21:57 (Ref:892882)   #7
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard has won some SCCA pro-rally events and is clearly an impressive driver. Given a chance in some bigger events I am sure he would do well.
As for PT it's nice to see him recognized for his season. He was solid and quick the whole year and is fully deserving of his championship and being RACER of the year.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"