Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 16 Oct 2009, 04:39 (Ref:2562467)   #1
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The end of coupe prototypes?

Coupe prototype designs could disappear from the Le Mans 24 Hours as the result of new rules planned for 2011, reports this week's AUTOSPORT magazine.

Old 16 Oct 2009, 05:12 (Ref:2562474)   #2
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be a pretty poor state of affairs if this went ahead. Coupes are a great part of the diversity that LMP racing brings. It would be a damn shame to see them disappear.
It makes no sense to nullify them.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 08:10 (Ref:2562543)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
as the rules change each year the advantage between coupe snd open changes for many years open cars have been better, in the last few years the coupes have made a return, back to the days of the 962's open cars had all but disappeared, wait an see what happens and enjoy the racing perhaps the advantage swings to open again, but who knows what will happen, and thats the advantage of prototype racing.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 08:17 (Ref:2562547)   #4
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I suspect that there's a fair bit of smoke and mirrors going on here. When suddenly coupes started appearing on the scene in 2007/08 the thought in the back of my mind was that something significant in aerodynamic terms had been arrived at that made the traditional frontal area x aerodynamic coefficient a less persuasive argument, and despite having no qualifications in this area whatsoever, still think that something interesting might have come up.

It would also be interesting to see just how often the aircon in the coupes, especially the Peugeots had to be run in race conditions to keep the cockpit temperature within the acceptable margins.

All this sounds like a counter-lobby from Peugeot and AMR, and I very much doubt we've either heard the last of this issue or seen the last of coupes.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2562590)   #5
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it's not true, coupes are much more interesting visually than the open cars, in my view.

M.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 14:08 (Ref:2562734)   #6
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just a bit of sabre rattling from Peugeot and Aston Martin, in my opinion. Remember Herr Ullrich's recent comments regarding the need to build a coupe if you want to win Le Mans...........
Old 16 Oct 2009, 14:15 (Ref:2562741)   #7
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Just a bit of sabre rattling from Peugeot and Aston Martin, in my opinion. Remember Herr Ullrich's recent comments regarding the need to build a coupe if you want to win Le Mans...........
Even for Dr. Ullrich, that is complete and utter cobblers.
Old 16 Oct 2009, 14:44 (Ref:2562757)   #8
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Well at least it gives us something to discuss when there is very little race action to talk about.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 19:44 (Ref:2568847)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Well , personally I would like to see the end of coupe's as we know them now . It seems to revolve around that very stupid looking glass area , that looks shocking , imo .

Upon saying that my favourite era was Group C , but the cars were so much better looking then .

Open toppers all the way I say .
Old 5 Dec 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2594434)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Well , personally I would like to see the end of coupe's as we know them now . It seems to revolve around that very stupid looking glass area , that looks shocking , imo .

Upon saying that my favourite era was Group C , but the cars were so much better looking then .

Open toppers all the way I say .
I completely disagree. Although the modern coupes aren't as good looking as the closed cars from the Group C era were, at least they don't all look the same as the vasty majority of the open cars do. If I had my choice, I'd make it mandatory to run a coupe......
Old 5 Dec 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2594651)   #11
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!

To me, closed cars ARE Le Mans top class cars. Barchettas are lower class entries. Think Porker 917/Lola T70, then Chevrons and Lolas in 2 litre class.

Even back to 956 v Lancia Barchetas...
Old 6 Dec 2009, 09:44 (Ref:2594801)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I completely disagree. Although the modern coupes aren't as good looking as the closed cars from the Group C era were, at least they don't all look the same as the vasty majority of the open cars do.
Not true ..... the glass area is a measured area , and most of them look the same , unatural . What is differant is the aero , and that is differant across the board .

The Toyota and 911 GT1-98 looked cool , but this glass area we now have , doesnt look cool at all .

If I had my way , I wouldnt ban coupe's , but I would most certainly change the glass measurement area .
Old 6 Dec 2009, 09:46 (Ref:2594802)   #13
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post

To me, closed cars ARE Le Mans top class cars. Barchettas are lower class entries. Think Porker 917/Lola T70, then Chevrons and Lolas in 2 litre class.

Even back to 956 v Lancia Barchetas...
Oh yeah , dont forget ..... think Ferrari 512 , Matra , Renault , Alfa Romeo and Porsche too .
Old 6 Dec 2009, 16:08 (Ref:2594951)   #14
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Having seen Surtees' and Massa's hits this year, I would ban open-cockpit sports prototypes.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 11:49 (Ref:2596599)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Inevitably, there'll be disagreement on this and everyone is entitled to their opinion that either coupes look fantastic or open-cockpit cars are getting very dull....
Old 9 Dec 2009, 14:04 (Ref:2596674)   #16
The Badger
Veteran

Well , at least you can see the driver doing his job in an oper topper . The same cant be said for a coupe .
Old 9 Dec 2009, 14:10 (Ref:2596678)   #17
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
boooooooooo!

Old 9 Dec 2009, 14:54 (Ref:2596701)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Well , at least you can see the driver doing his job in an oper topper . The same cant be said for a coupe .
Can you really though? I can't say I saw McNish sawing at the wheel in his Audi at any time. As a plus for the open-cockpit cars, it's pretty limited....

Heck, we could debate this for the next 6 months - after all, variety is the spice of life; a healthy mix of both would be best, I guess....
Old 9 Dec 2009, 16:16 (Ref:2596741)   #19
The Badger
Veteran

Ok then ..... you can tell who is in the seat from his helmet ? Argue against that then .

But yes ..... variety is the spice of live .
Old 9 Dec 2009, 17:54 (Ref:2596798)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Ok then ..... you can tell who is in the seat from his helmet ? Argue against that then .

But yes ..... variety is the spice of live .

You can also see most helmets through windows, but not as easy, I accept.....

Live and l;et live, that's what I say.....
Old 11 Dec 2009, 01:14 (Ref:2597617)   #21
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another vote here for closed cars, but with bigger windows than current as they're a bit tight. It should be possible (in theory anyway) to have a passenget with helmet sitting alongside you as in the days of the 956/962. Open cars for LMP2 in my book.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 05:02 (Ref:2597710)   #22
tkelland
Rookie

tkelland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I think the closed top prototypes look incredible and look fast even at a stand still, the open tops are good too. The variety is incredible. However, the open tops do provide a little easier view as to who is taming the beast at a given time.

Could the series implement a new system involving a light (somewhere over the top of the cockpit or on the lower part of windscreen (similar to the Peugeots) that would change color when a certain driver is in the car?

The light could be activated by the radio switch. When Driver A is in the car, he switches the radio channel to "A" and the light would be Orange/Red. Then on the spotters guide sheet, the audience can see which driver corresponds to which color. When Driver "B" or "C" get in the car, the light would change when the driver selects their own radio channel.

Just an idea I got sitting at the ALMS race at Mid-Ohio this year and watching the Dyson Lola's.
Old 11 Dec 2009, 10:57 (Ref:2597827)   #23
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Another vote here for closed cars, but with bigger windows than current as they're a bit tight. It should be possible (in theory anyway) to have a passenget with helmet sitting alongside you as in the days of the 956/962. Open cars for LMP2 in my book.
I totaly agree with this .
Old 11 Dec 2009, 10:59 (Ref:2597829)   #24
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelland View Post
Although I think the closed top prototypes look incredible and look fast even at a stand still, the open tops are good too. The variety is incredible. However, the open tops do provide a little easier view as to who is taming the beast at a given time.

Could the series implement a new system involving a light (somewhere over the top of the cockpit or on the lower part of windscreen (similar to the Peugeots) that would change color when a certain driver is in the car?

The light could be activated by the radio switch. When Driver A is in the car, he switches the radio channel to "A" and the light would be Orange/Red. Then on the spotters guide sheet, the audience can see which driver corresponds to which color. When Driver "B" or "C" get in the car, the light would change when the driver selects their own radio channel.

Just an idea I got sitting at the ALMS race at Mid-Ohio this year and watching the Dyson Lola's.
And that is because you couldnt tell who was doing the driving cuz its almost impossible to see the helmet through the window then ?
Old 11 Dec 2009, 11:41 (Ref:2597846)   #25
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Having seen Surtees' and Massa's hits this year, I would ban open-cockpit sports prototypes.
Careful you don't pull a muscle with that kneejerk.