Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 17 Dec 2007, 11:58 (Ref:2090455)   #51
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
jonboy1066 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
You expected him to do the whole race with a throttle stuck open?
I was just kidding but we didn't hear that little snippet of information where I was sitting so I'll give him that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
The TV pictures may have been deceptive as the cheaper sections at the top were much fuller than those closer to ground level. From where I was sitting half full is a fair estimate.
Yeah Martin Haven and the other bloke definately said that there were 50,000 people there and the crowd when we were leaving felt like that, considering that there were 80,000 seats, if 30,000 of them are vacant it's going to look a bit deceptively empty.

Last edited by jonboy1066; 17 Dec 2007 at 12:04.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 12:03 (Ref:2090459)   #52
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
God knows what it would ahve been like in the cold having to put up with endless replays and inane interviews!

It was fanbloodytastic, there was always someting going on, hardly any time for replays, and very few interviews, let alone inane ones, the whole thing was fantastic and well worth the ticket price. Considering that my Missus is not a motorsport fan at all and I'm a huge fan, we were both on our feet with the excitement and she is the one who's pushing to go next year.

We've only got it at Wembley for another 2 years and I reckon that the RoC is a must see event, probably the best display of motorsport I have even seen so I think that we need to show it even more support next year and fill up those spare 30,000 seats
Old 17 Dec 2007, 12:44 (Ref:2090482)   #53
essexminicity
Rookie

essexminicity should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone on here record the Race of Champions?

...and would you be able to supply me with a copy on DVD-R? I was at the event (a really great day, and motorsport with a twist), and I was looking forward to watching the replays, close-up camera angles and the backstage banter that we missed in the stadium - except I got home to find that I don't have the sports channels as part of my package, and recorded 6hrs of a blue screen with a subscription message on (aarrgghh!!).

So is there anyone out there kind enough to help a fellow motorsport fan?

p.s. That sure was a narrow, bendy track - should've got some Classic Cooper 'S's out there. Maybe next time.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 13:05 (Ref:2090502)   #54
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy1066
I was just kidding but we didn't hear that little snippet of information where I was sitting so I'll give him that one.
Did you get giddy because it was in a football stadium? Or was suck an ironic statement considering the quality of the photos
Quote:
Yeah Martin Haven and the other bloke definately said that there were 50,000 people there and the crowd when we were leaving felt like that, considering that there were 80,000 seats, if 30,000 of them are vacant it's going to look a bit deceptively empty.
To be fair, the commentators quite often said things that weren't true and didn't reflect what was actually happening. However there were quite a lot of people there - looked like a success to me.
Do you know who was the other bloke was?

Pure insanity!

I wish both of them had been given a monitor to look at so they could actually commentate on what was going on. "They are really close" - er? They missed a lot of corners being messed up.

Criminally insane!

it was all a bit shouty really, "Come on Wembley!" "Make some noise, stand up!". The crowd was perfectly capable of making noise, when deserved!

Certified insanity!

Still I enjoyed it. The drivers and the cars made it (who'd have thought!).

Last edited by Adam43; 17 Dec 2007 at 13:10.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 13:38 (Ref:2090527)   #55
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Just kidding enough to be 24 point red font! I dread to think what would happen if you were being serious

Quote:
Hadn't heard Martin say 50k, assumed that was from the TV coverage. Don't know what the capacity of Wembley is but if it is 80K then 50K is definitely too high.

When I finally got around to booking the £25 seats were sold out, but the place was still half empty. Think that tells you something.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 14:01 (Ref:2090538)   #56
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
Who cares what size font I use to make an exclamation?

The fact was that it looked from where I was like Seb B made a simple mistake and understeered into the barrier. "Throttle Jaming" excuses are used pretty regularly to get out of that sort of mistake and if his throttle did jam then fair enough. I was just having a laugh, we all make mistakes from time to time.

But...P'raps the 50,000 figure was used as an estimte after attendance figures from Paris and this little quote on the RoC site:

This traditional end-of-season showdown attracts spectators from across Europe. For three years the event, held at the Stade de France in Paris, has attracted well over 50,000 spectators each year.

Action from the Race of Champions 2006 was broadcast in over 200 countries and watched by more than 186 million viewers.

Either way they definately said 50,000 and I'm not gonna sit there counting heads so I'll take what they said.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 15:36 (Ref:2090582)   #57
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fair enough, but I am not American, I dont need shouty people and stunts to get me interested int going, and I certainly dont wanna pay 40 odd quid a ticket to see it!!

Its a gimmick, pure and simple and the only way you would get me there,, well no actually you wouldnt ever get me there!! lol
Old 17 Dec 2007, 15:53 (Ref:2090591)   #58
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
It should be taken for what it is. A bit of end-of-term fun - It's A Knockout On Wheels, as I call it. Sadly, I doubt this'll stop "Ekstrom for F1 - He beat Schumacher at the RoC" type comments from appearing in the F1 forum!
Old 17 Dec 2007, 16:12 (Ref:2090606)   #59
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
I hate to say it, but Murray Walker was very poor. He made countless errors, and barely seemed to understand what was going on.
if murray had got everythin correct then it wouldnt have been murray walker!

i think it weas great to hear his voice again if you ask me.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 16:36 (Ref:2090632)   #60
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran20
if murray had got everythin correct then it wouldnt have been murray walker!

i think it weas great to hear his voice again if you ask me.
I agree that it was great to hear his voice, but he was woeful. We all love Murray, so he's bullet-proof I guess. However, had it been any other commentator making the same errors, they'd be getting castigated on here. I genuinely lost count of the number of times he announced the end of a race when there was still another lap (or half-lap) to go.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 18:11 (Ref:2090684)   #61
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To be fair, Andrew Marriott and Keith Heuwen also made quite a few mistakes - but commentators always will so you have to cut them some slack. It's a question of how much.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 18:31 (Ref:2090696)   #62
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Murray was a but poor, seemingly losing count of laps one lap in and screaming how close the drivers were at irrelevant times. But hey, it wasn't as if it was dear Mr Allen. It wasn't as if I was getting barbed wire forcibly rammed down my ears.

A good event all in. Yes, it's all a bit boring in the sense that the cars never seem to reach more than 25mph but it's only a bit of end of term fun. It fills an afternoon in and it's all for charidee.

I'd prefer to see it run on a loose surface in all honesty though. But I guess with the stadiums now seemingly 'de rigeur' we won't ever see that again sadly. Which is a great shame.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 18:41 (Ref:2090703)   #63
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I'd prefer to see it run on a loose surface in all honesty though. But I guess with the stadiums now seemingly 'de rigeur' we won't ever see that again sadly. Which is a great shame.
Shouldn't be too difficult to add a water splash.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 18:48 (Ref:2090710)   #64
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would only really be any use if the water splash ran right round the circuit.

That's a good idea though actually, if we are to remain in stadiums. Good for the cameras!
Old 17 Dec 2007, 19:15 (Ref:2090733)   #65
sunny.traveller
Racer

sunny.traveller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had £25 tickets and a brilliant view from level 5 - can't wait till next year.

Who has any suggestions for your ideal team(s) next time around?

How about:
Team Italy - Gigi Galli & Valentino Rossi
Old 17 Dec 2007, 19:21 (Ref:2090740)   #66
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I want an Americas team of Montoya and Jeff Gordon. This is a stupid idea, though, that would never occur to anyone.

Team Australia, Webber and Stoner.

Rossi and Galli would be great. Spectacular at the very least!
Old 17 Dec 2007, 20:20 (Ref:2090771)   #67
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
It's actually being shown on Eurosport now. Looks okay, not great, but okay. Quite honestly though I'm glad I stayed at home in the warm with friends and a bottle of Jack!
Old 17 Dec 2007, 23:23 (Ref:2090923)   #68
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
They said live on TV that some people left early because of the cold. Good for those of you who went to watch it live and I'm glad that you all seem to have enjoyed it, but on this occasion I think it was better to be a warm, comfortable armchair enthusiast!

Murray was pretty poor, taking a while to realise that it was pretty simple to tell the drivers apart by the colours of the cars or their roofs, apart from the mistakes. Andrew Marriott also struggled, but it seemed to me that things improved when Keith Huewen joined in. He seemed better to understand how the switching of sides evened out over the whole distance. Georgie Thompson did a good professional job in the studio, but I'm afraid I have never been a Tony Jardine fan.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 00:13 (Ref:2090967)   #69
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Keith Huewen is one of the best commentators in motorsport in my opinion, his bike racving commentary in the nineties was unsurpassed even now, he and Jules Ryder had a telepathic understanding that only now are Toby, Julian and Randy getting anything like close to.

He just has an ability to convey emotion and feeling really well and is superb.

Murray was pretty poor but you cant blame the old boy, he is past it!

And pillock Jardine rolled out again to tell us stuff we already know!! Surely they could do better!

Just simple errors like saying Ekstrom has never done rally before when he was top 5 in Sweden in a WRC, no research.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 00:38 (Ref:2090972)   #70
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
Quote:
[snip]

Mod note: I have removed the links to the photo as they go against our rules due to their size. Please feel free to add them back using thumbnails or descriptive links. See our
Sorry about that, just wanted to share my pics even though they weren't that great, I thought that those who didn't get the chance to go would appreciate them.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 08:35 (Ref:2091098)   #71
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We had £55 tickets and was a good view from there too, entertaining day out but not sure if would go again. The 50000 spectators sounds a tad high but then everybody was spread out.

Re the facilities in the area I was in - running out of coffee, cheeseburgers and ketchup at 1pm isn't a great start, by later in the day [5.30pm ish] there was no tea, hot chocolate, or sugar or anything - it was so cold you would've thought they could've managed a hot drink!
Old 18 Dec 2007, 11:28 (Ref:2091184)   #72
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Hehe, I remember when the place opened and they had some under 21 match there or something, and was listening to radio after the event and it was a phone in on 5 Live, no one had a good word to say bout the place, great stadium and all that, beautiful to look at, ut teh things that really matter like food and toilets were horrendous, people waiting half hour to get served, and prices were herculean!!

And waiting for toilets.

Whoever the genius was that designed the place clearly didnt realise how crowds of people in a place like that work, go to Cardiff mate and see how a real stadium works!! And it didnt cost half the GNP of England!!
Old 18 Dec 2007, 11:50 (Ref:2091195)   #73
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
Whoever the genius was that designed the place clearly didnt realise how crowds of people in a place like that work, go to Cardiff mate and see how a real stadium works!! And it didnt cost half the GNP of England!!
Norman Foster was the architect, although he probably dealt with the main concept of the stadium, rather than the nitty gritty of the toilets / drainage...etc

Foster also designed the McLaren technology centre, so he must be getting used to McLarens (or MacLarens) suffering failure within his buildings.

Last edited by Super Hans; 18 Dec 2007 at 11:53.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 12:42 (Ref:2091239)   #74
sunny.traveller
Racer

sunny.traveller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, there were some people leaving early because of the cold, particularly those with children near where I was on level 5. Another group on the row behind me left as soon as Jenson Button didn't make it to the finals (lightweights!). The biggest departure though was as soon as Ekstrom crossed the line as winner - trying to beat the queues at the station I guess.

As for the architecture - I guessed Norman Foster due to the design of the toilets! The cubicle walls (in the ladies) are black, and the lighting trendily low, so could barely see anything. No queues though on level 5.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 13:33 (Ref:2091272)   #75
minieddie88
Rookie

England
Braintree, Essex
minieddie88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was in the £75 seats, enjoyed every moment of the whole event, and probably would have done, no matter how much the seats cost.
The drivers certainly entertained everyone, although there speeds they were travelling weren’t break neck speeds, the guys on the motorbikes no fear at all. And the noise of the Redbull and Toro Rosso F1’s doing doughnuts in the stadium was just amazing.
I froze from head to toe, they sold out of ROC hats and scarf’s pretty quick.
Looking around the stadium I was surprised at how many empty seats there were.
I would definitely go again, to another ROC.