Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 17 Nov 2003, 14:16 (Ref:785965)   #1
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard Burns

This announcement has come from Richard Burns' publicist:

"Richard Burns has been undergoing tests in hospital to determine the cause of the health problem he suffered before Rally of Wales. These tests have been concluded and the doctors have now confirmed that he has an Astrocytoma. Richard will undergo a course of radiotherapy treatment which the doctors are confident will prove successful. However, they have confirmed that he will be unable to compete in the 2004 FIA World Rally Championship.

Richard says " I would really like to thank everyone for their continued support - it means a lot to me. My fans, the Peugeot WRC team and also everyone at Prodrive and Subaru have all been tremendous. The doctors have advised that I am unable to get back in a rally car for the 2004 FIA WRC Championship and I have to accept that. I'm obviously extremely disappointed but I am feeling very positive and I am determined to focus all of my efforts on getting back to full fitness as soon as I can."

Richard has asked that people respect his and his family's privacy in what has been, and will continue to be, a difficult period. Additional information will be given once Richard has completed the course of treatment referred to above."

To explain quickly: an Astrocytoma is a form of a brain tumour. It affects both adults and children and the type of treatment involved (surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy combined) depends on the location and grade (size) of the tumour. It is usually more dangerous for adults because it is known as "inflitrative" which means it can dedifferentiate into different parts of the brain. An astrocyte (also known as an astroglial cell) is a cell which is found throughout the nervous system and one of several that make up the glia. It's function is to provde nutrients for the neurones and also take part in information storage processes.

More information on Astrocytoma can be found here: http://www.cancerbacup.org.uk/questi...planation.htm. Or you can use this factsheet: http://www.cancerbacup.org.uk/info/astrocytoma.htm
Old 17 Nov 2003, 14:25 (Ref:785974)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's terrible. Thanks for posting the full details, including a very informative link. This has been an awful 12 months for racing drivers suffering off-track illnesses, especialyl cancers. I'm sure we all wish Richard the best, and would lvoe to see him return for a few late-2004 rallies and then push for the 2005 title.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 15:10 (Ref:786025)   #3
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats news I had really hoped we wouldn't hear. It has seemed like Richard was very ill ever since his withdrawal from Rally GB, but I had really hoped that it would not be this bad. I for one will be glad when this year is over, we have seen far too many drivers hurt on track or been ill off track. I agree entirely with Boots, hopefully we'll see Richard back in action as soon as possible, my thoughts go out to him and his family.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 15:29 (Ref:786048)   #4
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What awful news, which I have also just read on the BBC. I hope we'll see him back soon, but the main priority must be a return to good health. Life takes priority over motor sport at all times.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 15:40 (Ref:786060)   #5
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have a friend who had Astrocytoma, luckily he made a full recovery in less than 10 months.

Get well soon RB!
Old 17 Nov 2003, 15:43 (Ref:786065)   #6
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Thats terrible news. Get well soon Richard.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 15:48 (Ref:786073)   #7
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh boy. That puts rallying in the shade doesn't it.

Is there a Burnsy website where fans can register their support and best wishes?
Old 17 Nov 2003, 15:53 (Ref:786081)   #8
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Oh boy. That puts rallying in the shade doesn't it.

Is there a Burnsy website where fans can register their support and best wishes?
www.richardburns.com is probably the best place.

Hope to see Richard back to full health soon & back in the WRC when he's fit & ready.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 16:08 (Ref:786110)   #9
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats a real Shame! Hopefully he will be fit and able enought to compete in the 2005 championship, hopefully it dosent take a place in a team away from him at the end of next year....

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 17 Nov 2003, 16:24 (Ref:786140)   #10
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very sad news. Get well soon Richard hope to see u back in 2005
Old 17 Nov 2003, 16:34 (Ref:786160)   #11
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Agree with all of the above. Get well soon, and thank God the doctors seem to be reasonably confident.

So McRae to Subaru, then? Rumours have been floating around for a while.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 16:46 (Ref:786175)   #12
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Speculation on who'll take his seat continues in the "Burns out of Rally GB" thread - let's keep this one for thoughts and best wishes for Richard.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 16:48 (Ref:786177)   #13
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
real shame...lets hope he gets better....on the other side of things wonder whos replacing him next year?
Old 17 Nov 2003, 18:00 (Ref:786238)   #14
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel so sorry for Richard, this really will push Richard down a gear. I hope he gets better soon and I look forward to seeing him in 2005 where I hope him and Subaru will be back to there old style winning ways.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 18:06 (Ref:786248)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just heard it on the radio. And thanks for the details Suzy.

My heart goes out to him and his family.

I hope he makes a speedy recovery. Good Luck Richard.

Last edited by SJ Spode; 18 Nov 2003 at 09:18.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 18:08 (Ref:786250)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was half kind of expecting, but dreading this news. Let's wish Richard Burns good luck with the treatment - as Boots said this has been a terrible twelve months for racing & rallying with the likes of Will Hoy passing away last December.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 21:13 (Ref:786506)   #17
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was absolutely no mention on the BBC/ITV evening news shows. Just about the England rugby team trying to stop spies!!!
Old 17 Nov 2003, 21:16 (Ref:786510)   #18
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poor Richard. I hope he can pull through this. Good luck for 2005 anyway Richard!
Old 17 Nov 2003, 22:29 (Ref:786574)   #19
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible news I hope he makes a full recovery and is back in the driving seat soon.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 22:32 (Ref:786576)   #20
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terrible news. Is the tumour cancerous? On the Norwegian sports broadcast they said it was benign. Though a brain tumour is serious stuff no matter what, depending on location and what parts of the brain are affected.

All the best, Richard. Get well soon.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 22:44 (Ref:786591)   #21
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That it very sad news.

Get Well soon Richard
Old 17 Nov 2003, 22:51 (Ref:786605)   #22
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Terrible news. Tumors are scary, and brain tumor is a lot more so. At least they say it is a relatively "benign" (what a word, in this context)kind.

I, like everybody, wish Richard gets a full recovery. Now, I I'll support him for 2005, and I will be happy if he gets the WC! For me, RB is my fav rally driver from now on. (Irrational but... it is just as I feel)

Last edited by Schummy; 17 Nov 2003 at 22:52.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 22:52 (Ref:786606)   #23
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
All best wishes to Richard
Old 18 Nov 2003, 02:43 (Ref:786715)   #24
Kojima_KE007
Racer

Kojima_KE007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really do hope he will get better soon...
Old 18 Nov 2003, 02:54 (Ref:786716)   #25
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
always the good ones- Get better Richard! you can beat this- if you can win a WRC race than nothing is a problem for you