Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 25 May 2005, 07:10 (Ref:1309579)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dastle F3 mk10

was this car more successful when it came back into historic f3 than it was in period with Barrie Maskell?
Old 25 May 2005, 16:07 (Ref:1310005)   #2
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Don't know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
was this car more successful when it came back into historic f3 than it was in period with Barrie Maskell?
You'll have to give me the answer on that one as I have no idea how successful it has been in Historic events. In period the car was used extensively by Barrie Maskell. I never saw it win but it was around for several seasons. Therefore it probably didn't cost a great deal to achieve the results that he did making it a successful car.

Old 25 May 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1310009)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
was it successful in period as I did a google search and was directed to the classic F3 site which insinuated that it wasnt that successful and underfunded in period...
Old 25 May 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1310120)   #4
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
www.f3history.co.uk

According to the above website the car was underfunded and suffered from an unreliable engine. The following is an extract fro their notes on teh Mk 10:-

"Maskell took an excellent second at Cadwell Park in June and a third in the same month at Snetterton. A fifth at Cadwell in July was the only other result of note."

As with a lot of cars the main thing to hold it back was money.
Old 26 May 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1310512)   #5
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve, I think there was probably a bit more to it than simply lack of money.

At that time, mid-70s, F3 was becoming a lot more serious, and 'one-off/homebuilts' which I think the Dastle was, were finding it harder to keep up with better-resourced or works backed teams running Marches/Modi/Ralts/Chevrons etc. The advent of different engines also counted against such privateers, I believe for example that there was a lot of difference between good and less good Toyota Novas for example, though as you know my techy knowledge is next to zero !
Old 26 May 2005, 09:13 (Ref:1310515)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

the Dastle was the end of the twin cams era - as you say the end of the gentlemen drivers in mainstream single seaters
Old 16 Oct 2006, 11:25 (Ref:1739155)   #7
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
New Owner

F3 Dastle Mk10 constructed in 1973 with chassis number 073-003 is now owned by Geoff Stallard who ran it for the first time at the HSA Curborough sprint yesterday (Sunday 15/10/06).

The car is fitted with a Twin Cam and won the Historic Racing Car class and then the Class winners run-off!

Geoff will be running the car in Speed Events next season alongside his TVR Vixen.

The car was originally Rumble's own car and was very little used in period.

Old 16 Oct 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1739183)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
F3 Dastle Mk10 constructed in 1973 with chassis number 073-003 is now owned by Geoff Stallard who ran it for the first time at the HSA Curborough sprint yesterday (Sunday 15/10/06).

The car is fitted with a Twin Cam and won the Historic Racing Car class and then the Class winners run-off!

Geoff will be running the car in Speed Events next season alongside his TVR Vixen.

The car was originally Rumble's own car and was very little used in period.

I am glad to hear that its out again - I tried to buy it last year from Rumble but we couldnt agree on price. I hope it puts it on a track at some point as well.