Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Feb 2002, 14:00 (Ref:212294)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
New way to spot leaders

One of the complaints many have had concerning keeping track of who is leading and who is not in any sports car race. The TV coverage has not been a great help either. They seem to jump around too much to keep track of the leader and the team cars are sometimes difficult to distinguish. The ALMS has come up with a way to distinguish the leaders.

Beginning with the ALMS season-opening 12 Hours of Sebring, all cars will be fitted with three lights on each side of the cars, positioned just in front of the rear wheel. The idea of the system is to allow the fans to see which cars are in the top three of each class using those lights to signify positions.

The lead car in each class will have one of these lights lit, the second-place car will show two lights and the third-place car will have all three lamps lit. In addition, each of the ALMS classes will have a different color light, to allow fans to see something other than the blur of headlights in the dark. Prototype 900 cars will carry red lights, while LMP 675 cars will carry blue lights. The lights on GTS cars will be green, and GT cars will have yellow lights.

I don't know if this will work, but it couldn't hurt.
Never forget #99
Old 8 Feb 2002, 15:14 (Ref:212339)   #2
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ok, i'm not sure.

On the one hand it seems sensible....

But on the other it seems weird and stupid....
Old 8 Feb 2002, 16:11 (Ref:212377)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Multimatic had the Panoz 07 on display here in Canada in early december and it was outfitted with these lights. They're not extremely large, so I can't see them being of any benefit for TV purposes but at the track they might help. Although I've never had trouble keeping track of positions while at the track, but those races have really just been sprints, 3hrs max.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 8 Feb 2002, 17:14 (Ref:212400)   #4
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This would be the same system that they trialled at the Petit Le Mans, no? I wonder if they have made any improvements/updates since then. (There was some earlier discussion.)

It really does sound like a great idea - I hope they can make it work.
Old 8 Feb 2002, 20:20 (Ref:212554)   #5
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you think the ACO will follow this lead ?

It does sound like a good idea, I hope it works. Am I correct in thinking that the system is controlled by the timekeepers or will the drivers have to ?

They could use the strobe type lights that light up the wheels. That way we could see all of the cars positions. Just an idea.

SL
Old 8 Feb 2002, 21:13 (Ref:212637)   #6
f2001
Racer

f2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
possibly will work...but still not knowing who the leader is keeps the excitment up
Old 9 Feb 2002, 19:37 (Ref:213014)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So, one sideswipe of a barrier and no-one has a clue again?
Old 9 Feb 2002, 20:33 (Ref:213078)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I say leave it as it is.

It just adds to the mystery. And if you really wanna know who's leading take a radio with you. Most of the time tho its fun to work it out for yourself.
Old 9 Feb 2002, 21:11 (Ref:213173)   #9
Blue2
Rookie

Blue2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
Ok, i'm not sure.

On the one hand it seems sensible....

But on the other it seems weird and stupid....
Weird and stupid? Sounds great! I like "Weird and stupid" things!

Seriously now, it is a bit of a gay idea, but it can't cause any problems that I can think of, and for the more "casual" fan it may help (if it ever works).

As Graham Taylor said during his time as England manager, "you've got to experiement, haven't you?" Fool.
Old 10 Feb 2002, 00:28 (Ref:213447)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't find them much help at the PLM -- they were too small and were frequently lost in the glare of the overhead lights. To my mind it is just more clutter.

But time will tell, I guess.
Old 10 Feb 2002, 12:46 (Ref:213674)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For a guy still waiting to experience his first Le Mans, I think Paulzinho is right. There's only one thing you need to keep up with the action at Le Mans each year - a radio and headphones. You can trust my friend Paul Truswell to keep you informed!!