Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 18 Sep 2002, 11:26 (Ref:383286)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mexico City - 400,000 advance ticket sales?

I have heard this figure several times. Does anyone know where it came from and how accurate nyit is? Is it even possible to fit 400,000 people at this track?

Any advance figures for Miami?
Old 18 Sep 2002, 11:29 (Ref:383292)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mexicans love their CART racing, and the Hermanos Rodriguez circuit is designed to fit hundreds of thousands of people. It has been sold out for months, but I don't know how many people it actually fits.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 13:35 (Ref:383417)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
400,000 is a possibility, but the organizers are aiming for (and on target for) 300,000 for the race weekend, with 170,000 on race day.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 18 Sep 2002, 14:02 (Ref:383439)   #4
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And if Fernandez threaten to leave before then, well I fear for his safety!
Old 18 Sep 2002, 14:05 (Ref:383445)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Here's the statement from the organizer:

"THE MEXICO CITY RACE, SCHEDULED FOR NOVEMBER 17AT THE HISTORIC AUTÓDROMO HERMANOS RODRÍGUEZ FACILITY, HAS THE POTENTIAL TO HAVE THE MOST DRAMATIC IMPACT AMONG THE STELLAR TRIO OF NEW EVENTS. RACE OFFICIALS ARE MODESTLY PROJECTING A RACE-DAY CROWD OF 180,000 AND MORE THAN 300,000 SPECTATORS FOR THE WEEKEND. THE ECONOMIC IMPACT IS PROJECTED AT $50 MILLION FOR MEXICO CITY, WHICH ENCOMPASSES A METROPOLITAN ZONE THAT IS THE SECOND LARGEST IN THE WORLD AT 16.5 MILLION PEOPLE.
"THIS WILL COMPLEMENT THAT FIRST RACE FANTASTICALLY BECAUSE THERE WERE SO MANY FANS THAT COULD NOT ATTEND THE MONTERREY RACE," SAID CART DRIVER AND MEXICAN RACING SUPERSTAR ADRIAN FERNANDEZ, REFERRING TO THIS YEAR'S SEASON-OPENING INAUGURAL EVENT IN MONTERREY, MEXICO, WHICH DREW AN OVERFLOW CROWD OF 318,000.
"THIS GIVES US THE OPPORTUNITY TO DIVIDE THE COUNTRY, AND ALL THE FANS THAT WE HAVE IN THE SOUTH AND IN THE CITY WILL NOW HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE US RACE. I BELIEVE THIS WILL BE ONE OF THE BIGGEST EVENTS IN THE HISTORY OF CART."

Thank you Mexico!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 19 Sep 2002, 00:54 (Ref:383819)   #6
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There has been some talk of Fernandez moving to the IRL. In light of numbers like these, I can't see how he possibly could. There can't be anything better than driving in front of the home crowd, (except for winning in front of the home crowd) and what a crowd. His sponsers can't get better advertising than that. He certainly wouldn't get the same result in Kentucky.
Old 19 Sep 2002, 06:19 (Ref:383879)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Where are all you guys coming up with this talk about Fernandez switching both cars? I've read it here in another thread and later couldn't find anything on the web to verify it. I find it highly unlikely. And even if he does, his sponsor will want nothing to do with it. This may well open up a sponsorship opportunity for a new team. But there was no talk of this before Adrian got peeved at the officiating in Rockingham. And Tailwind is absolutely right when suggesting that Fernandez would no longer have the incredible thrill of driving in front of throngs of fans yelling his name.
Old 19 Sep 2002, 06:34 (Ref:383884)   #8
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Test
Old 19 Sep 2002, 06:37 (Ref:383886)   #9
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Answer to CART's problems...more races in Mexico!
Old 19 Sep 2002, 07:02 (Ref:383893)   #10
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Brazil isn't on the schedule again for next year. Did that one go away for good or are there plans to bring it back in 2004?
Old 19 Sep 2002, 07:10 (Ref:383898)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I think Emmo's hard at work on that one...
Earlier this year, didn't he go out on a limb and all but promise a date in 2003? He wants one really, really bad.
Old 19 Sep 2002, 07:18 (Ref:383904)   #12
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A race in Brazil would be great again. Yeah, I too heard that Emmo was working at pulling together a deal.
Old 19 Sep 2002, 07:48 (Ref:383921)   #13
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A race in Brazil would be great for the many motorsport supporters from that part of the world; theres certainly enuf flamin' Brazilian drivers out there
Old 19 Sep 2002, 11:28 (Ref:384050)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the interview I did with Fernandez at Montreal he was absolutely definite that he would be in CART next year. He said "The No. 51 Tecate Quaker State Car will be in CART next year." Which leads me to believe that his sponsors, who have been with him since G*d was young, are 100% behind our series.

So I would not worry about that.
Old 19 Sep 2002, 14:35 (Ref:384176)   #15
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
remember what country his car sponsor are from if you have any doubt of where he'll (personally) be.
Old 19 Sep 2002, 22:07 (Ref:384446)   #16
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Mexico City - 400,000 advance ticket sales?

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
[
Any advance figures for Miami? [/B]
Yes, 1 - me!
anyone else from T/T going?
Old 20 Sep 2002, 18:13 (Ref:384967)   #17
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope this doesn't come across as overly negative, but could the organizer be lying? Or could sponsors be responsible for buying the bulk of the tickets and then giving them away as prizes, etc...
Old 20 Sep 2002, 18:15 (Ref:384968)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Well, of course they COULD be lying -- after all, Tony George does it routinely.

But surely it could be checked?
Old 20 Sep 2002, 18:17 (Ref:384970)   #19
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
400,000 tickets seems awfully fishy. Indy barely holds that much and the place is *huge*
Old 20 Sep 2002, 18:21 (Ref:384976)   #20
Liz
Veteran

That probably includes standing room and general admission.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 18:23 (Ref:384978)   #21
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kmchow
...could sponsors be responsible for buying the bulk of the tickets and then giving them away as prizes, etc...
Sales is sales. The sponsors wouldn't buy the tickets if they didn't think they could get people to use them.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Sep 2002, 18:53 (Ref:385002)   #22
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
regardless, 400k is too high for a road course. Its probably a predicted 2/3 day attendance.
Old 21 Sep 2002, 01:19 (Ref:385133)   #23
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't be so sure Russ. The entire circuit is surrounded by grandstands and seating areas. And considering Mexico City is the second largest urban population in the world and the Hermanos Rodriguez circuit is in the middle of that urban area... 400,000 is definetely possible on one day.
Old 21 Sep 2002, 03:18 (Ref:385148)   #24
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
I think they're 200,000 is more of a reasonable race day total. Their conservative prediction was 180,000. Still, something to be amazed of. In two races in Mexico, cart will likely have attracted between 600,000 and 800,000 paying customers. And not one of them had to buy their Cart ticket to see something else! They are all paying enthusiastic fans that want to see Champ Cars!
Old 21 Sep 2002, 03:32 (Ref:385155)   #25
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Jay, that's impressive! Corporations notice numbers like that and spend their marketing money where they feel they will get the greatest exposure. They more Mexican money that's spent on the series the more young Mexican drivers will be able to get sponsership. Many of the less well funded teams look for drivers that bring their sponsers with them. We may see an increase of young Mexican talent joining the series as a result.