Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Jun 2009, 11:17 (Ref:2489679)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
No more Hockenheim!

That's it,finished!

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/...-to-formula-1/
Old 24 Jun 2009, 11:31 (Ref:2489683)   #2
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done to Bernie Ecclestone, again. Once the Hockenheimring was a great, very characteristic and historic venue on the Formula 1 Calendar. Once, until Bernie Ecclestone forced the Hockenheimring to have a 'Tilke-job'. Since that very moment the Hockenheimring got into financial troubles, causing them to lose the Grand Prix. What a shame it is.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 11:37 (Ref:2489688)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Once, until Bernie Ecclestone forced the Hockenheimring to have a 'Tilke-job'.
Actually,the 'manufacturers' claimed that their sponsors and themselves weren't getting enough exposure around the old circuit,but let's not let that get in the way of a good old 'Bernie-bashing'.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 11:41 (Ref:2489689)   #4
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Once the Hockenheimring was a great, very characteristic and historic venue on the Formula 1 Calendar.
The noise of F1 cars echoing through the trees was fabulous.

My photos from 1986.

http://www.alanraine-graphicillustra...nheim%202.html
Old 24 Jun 2009, 11:44 (Ref:2489690)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I remember Warwick rolling the Brabham in practice.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 11:45 (Ref:2489691)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Yes,definitely a great circuit before it got 'Tilked'.

There have been some good races at the new one though!
Old 24 Jun 2009, 11:47 (Ref:2489694)   #7
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Actually,the 'manufacturers' claimed that their sponsors and themselves weren't getting enough exposure around the old circuit[...]
Just like the manufacturers didn't like it anymore to race in Silverstone?
Old 24 Jun 2009, 11:56 (Ref:2489699)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Just like the manufacturers didn't like it anymore to race in Silverstone?
The cars were 'lost in the forrests' for quite a long time at the old Hockenheim,and the fans were falling asleep in between laps! There is also the 'TGF' phenomenon to consider.Last year there were four Germans in the championship,but the crowds were well down at the German race.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2489701)   #9
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The cars were 'lost in the forrests' for quite a long time at the old Hockenheim,and the fans were falling asleep in between laps!
But they new how to keep them supplied. When I was there for a few F2 races in 1981/82 there were vendors strolling around selling plastic glasses of beer to anybody who wanted them in the Grandstands. When the cafe opened in the Paddock at about 6am, the first person ordered a Bratwurst, the second a beer!
Old 24 Jun 2009, 12:37 (Ref:2489741)   #10
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
The cars were 'lost in the forrests' for quite a long time at the old Hockenheim,and the fans were falling asleep in between laps!
I can imagine the fans still fall asleep as the races quite boring really.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 12:42 (Ref:2489747)   #11
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Not much different to Spa then. You can only be on one part of the circuit at any one time.

Ever since Tilkification its just been been a flat-pack F1 circuit like most of the other 'modern' cicuits these days, so as much as I hate to say it I'm not that fussed.

Did they have to make everything so final by tearing it all up? They could have least kept the option.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 12:55 (Ref:2489759)   #12
TheMong
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants
TheMong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i actually dont mind i prefered the old track never liked the new modified anyway..just hope we get 2 british grand prix 1 europe (silverstone) and donnington the british gp oh i can dream
Old 24 Jun 2009, 13:11 (Ref:2489777)   #13
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now this is hardly a surprise. Since it appeared in the news that Hockenheim even tried to get money from the country just to keep the GP it should have been clear that it is game over. I really wonder now what the NĂĽrburgring will do since they do not have the money especially now where they invested a huge amount into the circuit.
By the way , does someone know what happened to this tribute site to the old Hockenheim? I vaguely remember a green layout but am not too sure. I have not been to new Hockenheim for any race series. I liked the old circuit and still can't find where Hockenheim kept its soul, unlike Bernie E., Tilke and others.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 13:18 (Ref:2489783)   #14
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad times - but the old circuit was the better of the two. The worst part of this is that the modernisation wasn't really for much, if a F1 is now untenable.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 16:33 (Ref:2489886)   #15
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I remember Warwick rolling the Brabham in practice.
And the Footwork too, in 93 - scary accident, that one...

Sorry to see Hockenheim go, although the emasculated layout wasn't a patch on the old blast through the forest. Another link to the past gone...
Old 24 Jun 2009, 17:32 (Ref:2489946)   #16
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hockenheim has not been the same since it got Tilked a few years ago. It will survive with its two DTM dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun View Post
Did they have to make everything so final by tearing it all up? They could have least kept the option.
Unfrotunately not, the deal with the local greens was that in order to build the Hockentilke they had to let the trees and grass overgrow the old track to compensate for the trees felled in the remodelling process.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 29 Jun 2009, 13:11 (Ref:2493279)   #17
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well done to Bernie Ecclestone, again. Once the Hockenheimring was a great, very characteristic and historic venue on the Formula 1 Calendar. Once, until Bernie Ecclestone forced the Hockenheimring to have a 'Tilke-job'. Since that very moment the Hockenheimring got into financial troubles, causing them to lose the Grand Prix. What a shame it is.
Afraid so, and the Sunday morning lawn mower society [Germany Branch] put the nails in the coffin. One down [Mosley] one to go. Though might benefit Silverstone.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 18:39 (Ref:2493476)   #18
Blue Penguin
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Blue Penguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Google are a little slow these days.... thankfully

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...-8&sa=N&tab=wl
Old 30 Jun 2009, 00:53 (Ref:2493630)   #19
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh it's great isn't it! I was trying to check out the A1/Osterreichring the other day but unfortunately it wouldn't let me zoom in close enough

Selby
Old 30 Jun 2009, 01:32 (Ref:2493639)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i have a soft spot for hockenheim, even if parking there is a pain in the butt. the stadium section really does feel like a stadium, it's very spectacular and still an enjoyable place to watch a meeting like the dtm. i can only imagine what it would have been like in the schumacher era. epic.

i've walked around the old hockenheim a couple of times in the past few years (and suffered the mosquito bites as a result). in 2005 there was only random chunks of everything but that massive long straight into the stadium section remaining, most of it had been planted over with trees and the memorials had been moved to the point where the new circuit and the old circuit seperated after the first corner. i think the chicane on the remaining straight was a helipad, and the opposite one a giant puddle or a hole in the ground.

it had a nearly equal eerie factor to monza, though there wasn't the same sense of history because the past wasn't right there in front of you, the great big gap in the trees and the unseen was very odd. in contrast on the old parts of monza, especially the old banking sometimes you find yourself very very aware of being in the middle of a circuit and almost dodging non existant cars (if i can say that without being corny).

i think it's a shame they didn't keep the old hockenheim tarmac, but looking at it and how the locals use the area (as a giant cycling area) i can see why they tore it up and replanted.

/essay
Old 30 Jun 2009, 05:50 (Ref:2493672)   #21
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favourite quote on the new Hockenheim:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro De La Rosa
"As for the revised layout, I don’t like it. The track is very slippery and to be honest, it has lost its character to the extent that you could be racing anywhere. The individualism has been compromised too much in my opinion."
Oh by the way I found the website on the old Hockenheim circuit. It is still there after all this years http://hocki.squirrelism.net/new.php?opinions
Old 6 Jul 2009, 23:53 (Ref:2496953)   #22
PTRACER
Racer

England
Romford, Essex, U.K.
PTRACER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hockenheim was no more when they butchered it, I'm glad it's now gone for good. It would still be on the calender if they hadn't Tilkered it.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 06:32 (Ref:2497026)   #23
parkingjedi
Racer

Bhutan
parkingjedi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No more Fuji either
Old 7 Jul 2009, 11:24 (Ref:2497192)   #24
chrisp2006
Racer

chrisp2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im hoping there will be a revival of the old type circuits, bring on watkins glen!
Old 7 Jul 2009, 11:37 (Ref:2497200)   #25
chrisp2006
Racer

chrisp2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
strange that spa is the only modified circuit that kept its character.