Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jul 2009, 09:17 (Ref:2497105)   #51
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Unfortunately, I think Bernie likes to be 'clever' and make 'smart comments', but the silly old fool is losing the ability to judge what's funny nowadays, or what's in good taste.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 09:50 (Ref:2497119)   #52
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
More outrage!

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=38343

More irrational behaviour ?
Old 7 Jul 2009, 09:56 (Ref:2497124)   #53
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
Stephen Pollard of the Jewish Chronicle: "Ecclestone is either an idiot or morally repulsive."
Let's not be too quick to rule out the possibility of it being both.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2497127)   #54
calibrax
Rookie

United Kingdom
Rochester, Kent
calibrax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thing is though, he has a point - you do need someone decisive in charge. Hitler was decisive in his early years in power, it was later on that he became heavily influenced by others. I kinda understand what Bernie is trying to express, although he could have put it better. And the timing of using Hitler as an example wasn't the best choice!

History tends to paint people as good or evil, with nothing in between. But I think this is a dangerous thing. We need to acknowledge that the likes of Hitler were human, and that they did do some good things in their lives - yes, those good things were ultimately overshadowed by the evil they did, but they did have a human side to them.

If we don't acknowledge that such people are not totally evil, then we risk falling into the trap of allowing the same things to happen again, as we are looking out only for those people who are 100% evil, and not paying any attention to those others who are rising to power by displaying some good human qualities, but who actually have an underlying agenda...
Old 7 Jul 2009, 10:31 (Ref:2497152)   #55
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Um,

Yes, Adlof Hitelr was a warm and cuddly individual given to rescuing nations from the oppression of benign government and placing them under marshall law.

Adolf Hitler, on the other hand ...............................................
Old 7 Jul 2009, 11:37 (Ref:2497201)   #56
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Hitler only achieved 2 good things: The Volkswagen Beetle and the Autobahn. the rest was all bad (except for his last decision: killing himself)
Don't forget the Nordschleife.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 12:19 (Ref:2497236)   #57
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny how British motorsport seems reluctant to admit its own fascist connections and guilt though. How many British fans turned up to watch the Nazi Grand Prix teams at Donington in the 1930s? Or cheer on Dick Seaman racing for a Nazi team as late as 1938? And then there's the Mosleys...
Old 7 Jul 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2497237)   #58
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I'm quite glad the thread has been opened up again, because it means I can have my say, sort of. It's been my impression over the years that whenever Bernie says something, no matter how outrageous it may seem, there is usually a message to be read between the lines if you look for it.

On this occasion I had to admit defeat. His remarks made no sense to me, so I was relieved to turn to my friend Joe Saward - http://joesaward.wordpress.com/ - and find that he was in effect saying the same thing. Look under the article "And your point, Mr E?"
Old 7 Jul 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2497247)   #59
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
Funny how British motorsport seems reluctant to admit its own fascist connections and guilt though. How many British fans turned up to watch the Nazi Grand Prix teams at Donington in the 1930s?
Have to say I think this is rather tasteless and demonstrates a complete ignorance of the circumstances or at least a convenient twisting thereof.

At the time there were two great teams, both were German and they were government supported. After that came Alfa Romeo. What were the British or indeed any other nationality's race fans supposed to do?

Quote:
Or cheer on Dick Seaman racing for a Nazi team as late as 1938? And then there's the Mosleys...
Let's forget the "Mosley's reference, it has been done to death. However Dick Seaman was the top British racing driver of his day, a bit of a snob perhaps but once again, who were the public supposed to support?

They weren't the Nazi GP they were the European GP as far as I know.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 13:38 (Ref:2497282)   #60
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stephen Pollard of the Jewish Chronicle: "Ecclestone is either an idiot or morally repulsive. Either he has no idea how stupid and offensive his views are or he does and deserves to be held in contempt by all decent people".

Yup says it all; in not quite the terms or expletives I would if only Comrade Moderator would allow me so to do. I would not for one moment intimate BE stole the letter F and number One, but the till draw was open, the door open, and no one in the room.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 14:20 (Ref:2497304)   #61
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Have to say I think this is rather tasteless and demonstrates a complete ignorance of the circumstances or at least a convenient twisting thereof.

At the time there were two great teams, both were German and they were government supported. After that came Alfa Romeo. What were the British or indeed any other nationality's race fans supposed to do?
Well the Brits could have supported ERA... as many did. 'Government supported' doesn't do it justice - the Nazi government was using racing technology to promote a master race ideology. Seaman was naive but that cannot absolve him totally of blame. He even gave a half-hearted Nazi salute at the 38 German Grand Prix. Hitler sent a six-foot high wreath to Seaman's funeral which shows how much he valued him in his propaganda efforts.

There's not much that is more important than motorsport - but some things are.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 14:46 (Ref:2497320)   #62
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Don't forget the Nordschleife.
...was opened 6 years before he came to power.
(also, the first Autobahn was opened in 1932 )
Old 7 Jul 2009, 14:53 (Ref:2497322)   #63
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

These are the days when anything in F1 is more important than racing... what's the race will have this weekend again ???

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 7 Jul 2009, 19:51 (Ref:2497469)   #64
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
The dog and pony show is more exciting than the racing.Bring on the clowns....
Old 7 Jul 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2497470)   #65
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
...was opened 6 years before he came to power.
(also, the first Autobahn was opened in 1932 )
The remark was slightly tongue-in-cheek - I detest Adolf Hitler and everything he stood for - but it does appear that you are correct. Thanks for the correction. See here.
Old 8 Jul 2009, 03:03 (Ref:2497596)   #66
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
... Seaman was naive but that cannot absolve him totally of blame. He even gave a half-hearted Nazi salute at the 38 German Grand Prix. Hitler sent a six-foot high wreath to Seaman's funeral which shows how much he valued him in his propaganda efforts.

There's not much that is more important than motorsport - but some things are.
Like controlling the means of violence, therefore power, as advocated by the political economist and sociologist Max Weber, who was to profoundly influence Hitler's political ideology; or in Bernie Ecclestone's case, controlling the means of motorpsort/Formula 1, therefore power.
Old 8 Jul 2009, 06:32 (Ref:2497621)   #67
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

These are the days when anything in F1 is more important than racing... what's the race will have this weekend again ???

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
German GP

My predicted podium is:

1. FOTA - looking good until they actually have to put a series together
2. Cosworth - will have 3 engines in F1 for the next 3 years... and perhaps a legit shot at the championship vs Williams and Force India
3. Max Mosely - still managing to stay in the spotlight

Big mover:
Pedro De la Rossa - journeyman up for Campos seat

Other runners...

FIA - losing out to Max until they can shut him up once and for all
Bernie Ecclestone - crashed heavily in practice with Hitler comments and failed to make any headway in backup car after cancelled appearance and meeting
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...ng-appearance/
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...stone-meeting/

Failed to qualify:
Hockenheimring - raped, pillaged and now left for dead
Fans - enough said
Old 8 Jul 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2497638)   #68
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just re read the objectionable, obnoxious small male persons comments again. Flit; thats the stuff, remember Flit destroys all bugs [not the blue kind!] fleas, creepy crawlies, etc etc. FLIT