Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 21 Jun 2016, 01:32 (Ref:3654030)   #976
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

I have to say though, that as miserable as these changes otherwise are getting, I REALLY liked the placement and proximity of those SAFER barriers, excellent job in that regards. Even aesthetically they look good.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 04:57 (Ref:3654062)   #977
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Audi LMP1 star Loic Duval believes there is a delicate compromise between track safety at Le Mans and reducing the challenge of the legendary Circuit de la Sarthe.
Quote:
As often on modern racetracks, the use of asphalt run-off is widely debated. According to Duval, this solution is not the best and shouldn't be used as often as it is.

“I like it that you don't get away with pushing too hard, and I also like it that to be quick, you need to start pushing hard and taking a few risks,” he said. “I think it's a shame that there's asphalt somewhat everywhere.

“What they have done in the Porsche Curves makes the track narrower because it's right next to the kerb. But I think it's a shame altering the circuits, even though the most important thing is everyone's safety.
http://www.motorsport.com/lemans/new...hanges-782206/
Old 21 Jun 2016, 06:11 (Ref:3654073)   #978
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
We visited the area on Wednesday evening to see what they were like and were very surprised, on showing the staff a disabled badge we were allowed to drive through the campsite and then out of a gate at the other end, we parked right by the race track and evrywhere had good disabled access a great success on that point. Only problem was that the banking had gentle sloops with gravel to the top of the banking but once reached the gravel stopped and my friend then found the area rather slippery with his stick, we also saw a wheelchair having great difficulty on top of the bank, a small matter that will sort itself out over the next year i hope.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 13:55 (Ref:3654168)   #979
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Love the flower beds on the insight of Arnage!

Old 21 Jun 2016, 14:01 (Ref:3654169)   #980
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Love the flower beds on the insight of Arnage!

At night I was guessing some flowers. But this picture by day is beautiful. Very dissuasive run-off zone indeed !
Old 23 Jun 2016, 12:16 (Ref:3654654)   #981
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW04 View Post
What are the thoughts on the new viewing area at arnarge overall? Better? Worse? Wasn't there yesterday but would be good to hear from someone who was, was gutted to hear it was all going to be changed as it's probably my favourite spot!
Absolutely brilliant.

Easier to get down into the corner at Arnage and the Indianapolis viewing banking is awesome. Spent about 3 hours up to dawn there. Love it! At last a change that really works.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 15:44 (Ref:3654711)   #982
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agreed. Really good changes. Even the loss of the banking between Indy and Arnage provides a new perspective. It's unusual to be at track level, that close to the edge of the circuit, without a wall between you and the cars. There is a massive steel gate but it is still a very in-your-face experience.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 17:16 (Ref:3654727)   #983
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Arnage is brilliant now, it defiantly seems higher but closer to the track at the same time.
Was there at the front when one of the astons lost the back end, hit the Armco.

I also visited the mound at the bottom of Maison Blanche camping area for the first time, going there at night next year.

Can't get over what an epic race it was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 Jun 2016, 17:55 (Ref:3654732)   #984
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLad View Post
I also visited the mound at the bottom of Maison Blanche camping area for the first time, going there at night next year.
This area disappointed me immensely as they had move the public access a lot back at the exit of the Porsche curves.
Old 23 Jun 2016, 19:33 (Ref:3654757)   #985
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
This area disappointed me immensely as they had move the public access a lot back at the exit of the Porsche curves.

I'd never been before so unsure what it was like before. Have you any pictures?

Old 24 Jun 2016, 09:37 (Ref:3654858)   #986
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Apologies for being a little slow in adding my two ha'porth. I've not yet made it back to the (now independent!) UK and am still in a very hot and dry bit of France.

Indianapolis: brilliant and far exceeded my expectations. Access in my mobility scooter was easy and despite the fact that there were many able-bodies on the "disabled" viewing platform, they all made way for me on my little scooter, and for two others in wheelchairs.

Downside: nobody has briefed the car park attendants. Despite showing my disabled badge, I still had to park down the road in the overflow car park. Prior to getting a mobility scooter, that would have meant no Le Mans for me - walking that distance even with my walking stick is an impossibility.

Generally speaking, the French are slowly catching up when it comes to recognising the needs of the disabled.
Old 24 Jun 2016, 10:35 (Ref:3654873)   #987
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
That is very different tp what happened to us, once we showed the blue badge to the attendants we were allowed into the camping area and then out the far end meaning we parked almost alongside the track there were several other cars displaying blue badges there, so i think it was just the instructions were not passed down to all the officials in charge of parking
Old 24 Jun 2016, 19:04 (Ref:3654926)   #988
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
That is very different tp what happened to us, once we showed the blue badge to the attendants we were allowed into the camping area and then out the far end meaning we parked almost alongside the track there were several other cars displaying blue badges there, so i think it was just the instructions were not passed down to all the officials in charge of parking
I think you're probably right. The spotty youth "on guard" at the entrance to the car park at Arnage showed no interest at all in my blue badge, but just waved us away.
Old 25 Jun 2016, 08:48 (Ref:3654997)   #989
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'd never been before so unsure what it was like before. Have you any pictures?

Not of the area it self, no. But I have this picture taken from the spot:
Old 2 Jul 2016, 19:07 (Ref:3656308)   #990
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with the possitive comments on the Indianapolis-Arnage area changes, We've stayed in the area at night until sunrise and it was a very good experience. looking forward to come back next year.
Old 4 Jul 2016, 15:27 (Ref:3656912)   #991
otisdog
Rookie

United States
Camano island, Washington
otisdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I am also going to belatedly add my positive comments regarding these changes...just got home. All 3 of the berms offer great viewing, but particularly the middle one that is perpendicular to the others, which is the tallest - if you are at the end closest to the track, you can get a video clip from the straight approaching the kink to past the exit of Arnage. Great!
Old 10 Oct 2016, 14:12 (Ref:3678948)   #992
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The full Bugatti circuit is being resurfaced, including the pit straight to Dunlop section.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/1...-underway.html
Old 10 Oct 2016, 17:40 (Ref:3678979)   #993
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
That asphalt where getting pretty rough and worn.
I wonder if the new asphalt is going to be the quick drain type where water can drain through the asphalt instead of off it?
Old 10 Oct 2016, 18:13 (Ref:3678987)   #994
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Isn't the new thing to have the asphalt grooved for drainage like on airport runways?
Old 10 Oct 2016, 18:42 (Ref:3678996)   #995
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
I'm thinking stuff like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcbgkL3dpQs
Old 10 Oct 2016, 19:51 (Ref:3679008)   #996
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
Quote:
I'm thinking stuff like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcbgkL3dpQs

That permeable topmix uses quiet course sized aggregate totally different to hot-roll or Tarmac topping.
We did some construction work at a football ground which used that stuff in the terraces.

Doubt it would be used on a race circuit, but you never know nowadays.

Old 10 Oct 2016, 20:22 (Ref:3679019)   #997
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
That permeable topmix uses quiet course sized aggregate totally different to hot-roll or Tarmac topping.
We did some construction work at a football ground which used that stuff in the terraces.

Doubt it would be used on a race circuit, but you never know nowadays.

I wasn't thinking that it should be that product exactly, but I've heard of a similar product being used on Freeway/highways/Autobahns which should indicate that the durability is good enough. The grip I don't know, but it could be interesting if it was used.

But this spawns a question. Would Le Mans lose some of it's appeal if wet weather racings impact on the race was significantly reduced, by having dry asphalt when raining?
Old 11 Oct 2016, 08:37 (Ref:3679238)   #998
Mike E
Veteran

They have been testing these low spray surfaces for ages but there seem to be concerns around durability.

http://www.atlasf1.com/news/1999/1193.htm
Old 11 Oct 2016, 14:14 (Ref:3679305)   #999
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
But this spawns a question. Would Le Mans lose some of it's appeal if wet weather racings impact on the race was significantly reduced, by having dry asphalt when raining?
Anything will be an improvement over this year's start and extended running behind the SC because of moisture...
Old 24 Oct 2016, 21:25 (Ref:3682586)   #1000
Mike E
Veteran

This comes under 'other changes'
Mat Fernandez has twitted that the ACO will be providing 7000 free parking spaces near the track next year. Not sure what 'near' means. And free museum entry for full week ticket holders.