Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Oct 2001, 16:39 (Ref:162065)   #1
renaultbel
Racer

renaultbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan-Volkswagen in 2004?

Volkswagen could link up with Jordan Grand Prix in the not so distant future according to reports in German magazine Focus Money.

Pischetsrieder who will take over control of Volkswagen in April 2002 when current chairman Ferdinand Piech retires has according to F1 insiders already had discussions with Eddie Jordan about possibly supplying the team with engines in 2004.

Jordan currently share works engines with BAR however Honda is known not to be overly impressed with either team this year and may decide to do a 'BMW' in 2003 or 2004 and supply only one team.

Earlier this month Pischetsrieder fuelled speculation that VW would enter F1 in 2004 when he told Stern magazine: "Everyone knows that I am a Formula One fan through and through. Even if we were to decide to make such an engagement now (though to enter F1), we would still be on the outside for three to four years."
Old 17 Oct 2001, 19:38 (Ref:162185)   #2
Crash and Burn
Racer

Crash and Burn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VW and Jordan

Has only one heard anymore about VW suppliy Jordan with engines in the year 2003???? Just seem a rumour on www.planet-f1.com
Old 18 Oct 2001, 01:22 (Ref:162327)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The VW rumour won't die. But Jordan????

Makes you wonder why EJ went through all the gyrations with drivers over the past few months. And whither Sato?????
Does this mean that BAR DOES end up as the Honda Factory squad, (perhaps even sold outright) and Sato gets his training at EJ'ds hand?
Old 18 Oct 2001, 02:38 (Ref:162341)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I can't believe this. I still think that Eddie fired HHF and then hired Sato as his ticket to Hondaland, wanting exclusive rights to the Honda engine. This might backfire if BAR does a bad job again this year, making it a good takeover target for Honda. Sooner or later, Honda must go into F1 as team owner now that Toyota has done so, it's a question of "FACE". They have had two teams race testing their engines now for a year, and I think they will have their sums worked out right towards the end of next year.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 08:43 (Ref:162383)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
If that's the case, wouldn't it be better for them to buy Jordan as the BAR car is widely recognised to be a pig?
Old 18 Oct 2001, 10:38 (Ref:162423)   #6
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really think it's a case of whether the car is a pig or not, as I think we all know that 1 year can make a big difference as far as chassis design goes. I think the basic infrastructure and facilities of any given team would be more important than their actual product. And with Honda supposedly going the "wide-angle V" approach on their engine, I would imagine both BAR and Jordan are going to need to rethink their chassis designs.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 11:06 (Ref:162430)   #7
timbo2001
Racer

timbo2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look, I don't care who the VW engine supply goes to, I just hope it goes to somebody. We are the proud owners of a 1960 Volkswagen Beetle 1200, with a whole 40bhp, and i just hope that if the do enter F1 that their engines have a bit more grunt than ours!

Last edited by timbo2001; 18 Oct 2001 at 11:08.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 11:11 (Ref:162432)   #8
Fluffster
Rookie

Fluffster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
If that's the case, wouldn't it be better for them to buy Jordan as the BAR car is widely recognised to be a pig?
Methinks Eddie Jordan is far less likely that the BAR owners to want to sell his team...
Old 18 Oct 2001, 11:26 (Ref:162443)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not so sure, everyone has their price in this world. What's to say they wouldn't leave him in control of the team, he's a well respected team owner with a very good track record in all formula's. All idle conjecture anyhow so let's wait and see what happens at the end of next year.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 11:48 (Ref:162451)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jordan will end up with Minardis last-year Asiatech engines !!!
Old 18 Oct 2001, 11:51 (Ref:162455)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, if the VW rumour is true, and they have been talking to Eddie, then it may just happen.

So if it Jordan-VW, then most likely Honda will buy out BAR as that team will be essentially non-existent once tobacco sponsorship is outlawed.

F1 needs more manufacturers. The more, the better.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 13:52 (Ref:162486)   #12
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed with you f1man
I think that future will bring us situation like in WRC, though I think the 'private' teams will allways mean more in F1 than in WRC.
Old 21 Oct 2001, 11:28 (Ref:163492)   #13
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both Sides Deny Rumor

Both Jordon and now VW have denied the persistent rumors regarding the supply of engines to Eddie's team. Hopefully, this will but this speculation to rest. The following is excerpted from Furmula1.com.

"There have been numerous rumours of late about the entrance of the Volkswagen group into the sport. Late this week Jordan formally denied any link with the German auto manufacturer. In an article in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ), Volkswagen also rejected the speculation".

'Nuff said.