Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 25 Jan 2022, 17:36 (Ref:4095294)   #51
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Just looking through the gt pro entry list. Interesting that there's two gold in the am lexus, but a silver in the pro lexus. I guess that's to keep more speed in the car with the only bronze in the group of drivers. I get wanting to keep lineups balanced, and likely paying drivers. But. They're entered in two classes dictated only by driver levels. Might as well go for it.

Also that the Weathertech Mercedes is stacked with Platinums + Cooper, but the Porsche is Golds + Cooper. I assume that has to do with the level of support from either manufacturer.

For those who enjoy, the spotter's guide is supposed to be released later this afternoon.
Old 25 Jan 2022, 20:18 (Ref:4095314)   #52
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I'm not sure you shoudl read too much into the gold vs platinum rankings.

Some reach gold and will be stuck there, whil others just go silver - gold - platinum in a cople of years.

I think there's nothing wrong with a gold factory driver.
I'm fairly confident most gold factory drivers can mix it with the platinums without any problem at all.
Old 25 Jan 2022, 21:42 (Ref:4095320)   #53
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cosmo fired today from Gilbert Korthoff AMG, new driver sourced but not announced yet.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/c...s-immediately/

Fired week of the race with immediate effect? What did he say to someone on the team to warrant that, was a full season driver in the GTD program
Old 26 Jan 2022, 02:32 (Ref:4095335)   #54
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
That's certainly a something.
Old 26 Jan 2022, 03:19 (Ref:4095339)   #55
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
weather currently predicted to hit freezing/-1c on saturday night/sunday morning. it’s going to have some interesting strategy implications and make it tricky to get heat into the tyres to say the least.

on a personal note, i thought i was going over the top packing thermals…
Old 26 Jan 2022, 08:09 (Ref:4095359)   #56
belt driven
Racer

United States
NE exurban ATL
belt driven has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Qualifying race on now. Apparently no live timing from alkamel directly that allows pausing. So all current timing options are 30-35 seconds ahead.

Timing on IMSA is https://www.imsa.com/scoring/. Kinda simple, and updates in 3-5 second chunks for me.

LT2 timing is https://livetiming.alkamelsystems.com/imsa - close enough to usual format and includes race control messages as the flash up.

No real issues with Peacock other than my normal gripe about the NBC commentary. Spend 85% of the time talking about racing, 15% about the race. Now to play the sync game with RLM.
Funny that you look at the timing as being ahead. 3 years ago I watched the Petit start from old pits into T1. http://livescoring.us/2022/imsa00/ showed green within 150 yards. Last year NBC Sports Gold was 50+ seconds behind livescoring. Went cold turkey on data and played same sync game.

I bailed on the 2nd wet Petissimo Lemans in 2015. I got to watch it on TV from about 2 miles west of the track. With a door ajar to a screened porch; I could hear full throttle on restarts 1 second before the cars cleared T12 on the tube. Much later I realized I was hearing something that had happened 10 seconds earlier. REAL time only exists for those at the REAL race track.
Old 26 Jan 2022, 11:58 (Ref:4095387)   #57
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Alkamel had a hissy fit about Timing71 using their data.

Maybe series should start making decent timing systems. That would be the answer.
Old 26 Jan 2022, 12:43 (Ref:4095390)   #58
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Alkamel had a hissy fit about Timing71 using their data.
AGAIN?

Crap!
Old 26 Jan 2022, 13:01 (Ref:4095391)   #59
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.imsa.com/wp-content/uplo...BoP-012522.pdf

new bop changes, bmw and corvette got extra ballast and different rear wing min angle. Provided this should be definitive bop for 24h race. Is maybe IMSA punishing bmw and corvette supposed sandbagging during roar tests and race?
Old 26 Jan 2022, 13:21 (Ref:4095395)   #60
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
weather currently predicted to hit freezing/-1c on saturday night/sunday morning. it’s going to have some interesting strategy implications and make it tricky to get heat into the tyres to say the least.

on a personal note, i thought i was going over the top packing thermals…
It is always cold overnight at Daytona, but not usually freezing! At least it will be dry!

There are going to be so many spins on ice cold tires. Doing a double or triple stint on a set may help keep the heat if the tires will last.
Old 26 Jan 2022, 15:44 (Ref:4095410)   #61
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
It is always cold overnight at Daytona, but not usually freezing! At least it will be dry!
Having been sunburned and drenched on my last two trips to Daytona, freezing cold will complete the set

I can’t wait for this. Two years since my last motorsport trip abroad - this race in 2020. Just need to pass my pre-flight Covid test tomorrow, which should be fine as I haven’t been within 10m of anyone for a week
Old 26 Jan 2022, 19:10 (Ref:4095428)   #62
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Cosmo fired today from Gilbert Korthoff AMG, new driver sourced but not announced yet.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/c...s-immediately/

Fired week of the race with immediate effect? What did he say to someone on the team to warrant that, was a full season driver in the GTD program
James Davison brought in to replace Cosmo

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/d...hoff-mercedes/
Old 26 Jan 2022, 19:21 (Ref:4095429)   #63
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I just now was able to deep dive through the spotters guide; solid field!!
https://twitter.com/GrasserRacing/st...69037017829376

There are some activities this weekend that will preclude me from seeing the finish, but maybe I can record it somehow and avoid.

Looking forward to it.
Old 27 Jan 2022, 00:20 (Ref:4095453)   #64
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
It seems the LMP3s run cold naturally?

***In a technical bulletin issued on Wednesday, IMSA has permitted LMP3 team to utilize “opaque adhesive tape” as inlet blockers for the engine and gearbox cooling inlets due to the forecasted ambient temperatures this weekend. Temperatures are currently forecasted to dip to 35 degrees Fahrenheit (1 degree Celsius) during the overnight hours of the race this weekend.

Wonder if any other classes will end up with such rules or if they have better ways in the chassis to control the temps under the regs

Sounds like tomorrow will be a wasted day with 90% chance of rain

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/d...y-notebook-12/
Old 27 Jan 2022, 02:23 (Ref:4095457)   #65
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if it’s like the rain we’ve had for the past few days it’s very light rain and extremely annoying but not really enough for wets…
Old 27 Jan 2022, 17:41 (Ref:4095559)   #66
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
if it’s like the rain we’ve had for the past few days it’s very light rain and extremely annoying but not really enough for wets…
Looks like the first practice was a tad wet with O'Ward topping the charts:

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/d...ning-practice/
Old 27 Jan 2022, 17:41 (Ref:4095560)   #67
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
And I really like this pic!

Old 27 Jan 2022, 19:18 (Ref:4095572)   #68
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
And I really like this pic!

Lot of cars. Love it!!
Old 27 Jan 2022, 20:17 (Ref:4095578)   #69
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Lot of cars. Love it!!
There are only 60 cars in this picture though, and I can't make out which single car didn't make the pic!
Old 27 Jan 2022, 20:21 (Ref:4095579)   #70
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
The email from IMSA promoting this one is entitled, 24-Hour Traffic Jam Starts This Saturday, Live From Daytona On NBC!. Not sure that's the greatest way to get me excited
Old 27 Jan 2022, 20:46 (Ref:4095583)   #71
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Practice 2 has been red flagged because of a spinning car hitting the wall.

Full disclosure: it is a P3, but it was just as the rain started.
Old 27 Jan 2022, 20:56 (Ref:4095585)   #72
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
My weather app is showing a “feels like” temp of -6C (22F) at dawn on Sunday
Old 27 Jan 2022, 21:09 (Ref:4095589)   #73
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
My weather app is showing a “feels like” temp of -6C (22F) at dawn on Sunday
Hope you can get enough coffee!

Can you even take pictures with the thick gloves necessary to keep warm???
Old 27 Jan 2022, 21:42 (Ref:4095591)   #74
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Can you even take pictures with the thick gloves necessary to keep warm???
Yes! I have thick gloves which have folding back tips on forefinger and thumb! So just enough exposed digit to press the shutter. Dawn at Daytona can be utterly beautiful so I’ll be up in the grandstand no matter what the temperature.
Old 28 Jan 2022, 00:47 (Ref:4095609)   #75
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Really guys, single stint only? Every single stop new tires?

Michelin Motorsport sent an additional communication to competitors Thursday morning, stating that LMP3 and GTD Pro/GTD teams are responsible for tire usage above one stint with the brand’s commercial line of S8M, S9M and S9M+ tires. Michelin has reminded competitors that the “recommended stint length” for those tires remains at one stint.

“Should teams feel that more than one stint is achievable under certain conditions, it is highly recommended that mileage equivalent to desired race mileage be completed in practice sessions,” a statement from Michelin reads. “Once the desired mileage is achieved, please mark the tire set for Michelin to conduct further technical analysis of the tires.”

Interesting tidbit, confirm GT3 Mustang timeline?

**Ford has scheduled a press conference for Friday at 10 a.m. ET, which is set to confirm a new program within sports car racing.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/d...y-notebook-13/