Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 14 Jun 2023, 01:56 (Ref:4163612)   #351
keviiinn
Rookie

United States
New York, USA
keviiinn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jimmie Johnson was never that great on road courses, even in his championship prime. Doesn't surprise me he lagged behind his teammates. I never even understood why his first year in Indycar was all road courses when he wasn't even good at them. Other than the indication he was scared of crashing at high speeds on ovals.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 04:00 (Ref:4163617)   #352
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by keviiinn View Post
Jimmie Johnson was never that great on road courses, even in his championship prime. Doesn't surprise me he lagged behind his teammates. I never even understood why his first year in Indycar was all road courses when he wasn't even good at them. Other than the indication he was scared of crashing at high speeds on ovals.
He should be scared to rub ovals in an IndyCar. Watch any of those races? Makes F1 look like child's play.

And it doesn't surprise me either that a guy who spent the better part of two plus decades racing on mostly speedways in a spec series with two road races a year didn't keep up with the likes of Mike Rockefeller and Jensen Button on a track he had never seen. The fun this particular endeavor was, many years after another Camaro ran at Le Mans with a bunch of two-bit Americans, is what I'd like to remember, but hey, lap times is lap times.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 11:42 (Ref:4163661)   #353
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’s not the winning it’s the taking part. In most cynical professional sport that is far from true. For Le Mans it is the taking part that is important probably for most of the competitors. It’s a proper sport.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 16:00 (Ref:4163698)   #354
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Marshal Pruet from RACER with John Doonan, of IMSA, who ran this G56. Also Jenson Button drinking champagne after the race and sharing moments.

And....some great on-track shots of the great beast ripping across the countryside and past famous landmarks of the LeMans track.

https://youtu.be/98ZP7UB7IXE
Old 14 Jun 2023, 16:40 (Ref:4163704)   #355
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Wow, just wow to everything you said up there. You don't watch racing at all really do you?
Old 14 Jun 2023, 16:45 (Ref:4163707)   #356
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Just another Jimmie Johnson hater, I guess. Lots of them in the NASCAR fan base.
Old 14 Jun 2023, 17:42 (Ref:4163730)   #357
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It’s not the winning it’s the taking part. In most cynical professional sport that is far from true. For Le Mans it is the taking part that is important probably for most of the competitors. It’s a proper sport.
As Baron Pierre de Coubertin liked to say
« Le plus important aux Jeux Olympiques n'est pas de gagner mais de participer, car l'important dans la vie ce n'est point le triomphe mais le combat ; l'essentiel, ce n'est pas d'avoir vaincu mais de s'être bien battu »
Old 14 Jun 2023, 17:46 (Ref:4163731)   #358
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taking part in an event where suddenly they change the Safety Car rules so that you have to let everybody past you who you've already fairly overtaken.
Absolute farce.
Old 15 Jun 2023, 00:18 (Ref:4163777)   #359
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
As Baron Pierre de Coubertin liked to say
« Le plus important aux Jeux Olympiques n'est pas de gagner mais de participer, car l'important dans la vie ce n'est point le triomphe mais le combat ; l'essentiel, ce n'est pas d'avoir vaincu mais de s'être bien battu »
I was going to add a comment about the Olympics.
Old 15 Jun 2023, 00:25 (Ref:4163779)   #360
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Here is the "battle" comparison for G56 and a couple of GTE-Am cars.

Not that it was a battle, but it nice to see the relative pace. I got the impression during the race that the GT cars dealt with the changing conditions better. Here we see that the in the middle of the race it settled in to a pace that was comfortably faster. It was a joy to watch - I had the in car on for a long time on one of the screens for a long time.
Attached Thumbnails
Battle GTE NASCAR.png  
Old 21 Jun 2023, 23:27 (Ref:4164939)   #361
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Mr. Button had a lot of fun

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsp...-56-interview/
Old 22 Jun 2023, 10:05 (Ref:4164980)   #362
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yes saw this too. How refreshing it is. Enthousiasm, truth, fun, freshness all those things I feared to see gone for ever. Hope!
Old 22 Jun 2023, 12:26 (Ref:4164991)   #363
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That is nice to see. And enthusiasm is what Le Mans is about for a lot, so not really too much of a surprise
Old 22 Jun 2023, 12:38 (Ref:4164995)   #364
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hate to think that this will be the first and only time we'll see that Camaro on a track. I see no plans for its use going on into the future. I understand that, as a promotional vehicle, it did its job. Just would like to see it run in person here in the US.
Old 24 Jun 2023, 08:08 (Ref:4165165)   #365
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
WEC Unfiltered

https://youtu.be/Z0T9pkvrYYs
Old 24 Jun 2023, 13:17 (Ref:4165182)   #366
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Great insight there
Old 25 Jun 2023, 04:14 (Ref:4165241)   #367
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There’s a second clean one that was at Brands Hatch a week or so ago. There’s going to be some runs at Goodwood FoS in mid July as part of the LM celebrations there- assume clean one again but maybe not.
Old 26 Jun 2023, 14:32 (Ref:4165556)   #368
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
I love this shot of the Garage-56 car in the pack:

Makes the car look so out of place. PS: This was supposedly not a photoshopped picture.

Last edited by JT240Z; 26 Jun 2023 at 14:38.
Old 16 Jul 2023, 11:14 (Ref:4168603)   #369
rx555
Rookie

United States
St. Louis
rx555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I ran across this excellent article from Sports Illustrated written about the Camaro that ran at the '81 race with Cale Yarborough.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1981/07/1...s-only-ol-cale

Old 16 Jul 2023, 22:11 (Ref:4168693)   #370
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Thanks.

Jense took G56 up the hill today. https://twitter.com/fosgoodwood/stat...208366081?s=61
Old 17 Jul 2023, 00:49 (Ref:4168707)   #371
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Thanks.

Jense took G56 up the hill today. https://twitter.com/fosgoodwood/stat...208366081?s=61
Came here to post this.
If you don't like this. You're wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx555 View Post
I ran across this excellent article from Sports Illustrated written about the Camaro that ran at the '81 race with Cale Yarborough.

Yeah, there's been a few American stock car drivers that have done the 24 in American machines. None have officially affiliated with or representing NASCAR itself.

Thx for posting this. Cale and Bill Hagan represented well!

This is hilarious:
The real pity is that Cale Yarborough, at 41, had turned out to be a natural for that course: Right at the start he had cranked the Camaro down the Mulsanne Straight at about 210 mph—that's two hundred and some miles an hour—and had pulled back in to allow, "Well, I didn't come over here to poke around; I could be back on the farm, poking around on my combine."

Love Cale. He's not doing well right now but had one helluva career.
Old 17 Jul 2023, 00:56 (Ref:4168708)   #372
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx555 View Post

Great read.... thanks for sharing.
Old 17 Jul 2023, 09:36 (Ref:4168730)   #373
S griffin
Veteran

Yes that is a great look back, certainly was very unique for it's time
Old 2 Aug 2023, 10:32 (Ref:4171036)   #374
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
https://youtu.be/vyLeemwGW-E
Old 9 Aug 2023, 13:14 (Ref:4171982)   #375
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

Yeah, there's been a few American stock car drivers that have done the 24 in American machines.
Dale Earnhardt had a stated interest in going to LeMans. He and Jr. did the Daytona 24 and came 4th in 2001 with Corvette Racing. If he had not been lost a couple of weeks later, LeMans may have likely an agenda item. I believe he had an interest in Sebring as well.

If Jr. hadn't had the fiery warm-up crash at Sonoma, he may have gone to LM at some point with Corvette to represrnt and honor his father.