Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 20 Apr 2023, 20:20 (Ref:4152301)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What Do You Really Miss.....? (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly....)

This is one for the Le Mans veterans. Prompted by a couple of nostalgic posts on a super-quiet forum elsewhere () what do you miss about Le Mans that you used to really enjoy? Not intended to be an exercise in being critical, as many good things have happened over the course of my 35 visits to the race, but those things that you remember that are no longer a part of a Le Mans trip....

I'll start...
  • The view along the start/finish straight (and elsewhere) without debris fencing
  • The straight run down to the Esses from the Dunlop Bridge
  • The Grand Marnier crepe stall (if it's still there, I haven't found it for a few years)
  • Well-designed and collectible tickets
Old 20 Apr 2023, 20:48 (Ref:4152304)   #2
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Last time I was there was in 2017. I do recall seeing the Grand Marnier crepe stall behind the Dunlop grandstand nearby the carnival rides and the candy stall.
Old 20 Apr 2023, 21:04 (Ref:4152307)   #3
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Good Things:
As a Marshal - the Mulsanne Straight before the Chicanes were put in, boy was that quick.
As a speccie - The old stand above the Pits, we'd get there @ silly o'clock and position ourselves above Derek Bells Pit and wouldn't leave until our bladders forced us

The Bad
The years before Radio Le Mans, the circuit commentary was in French and once an hour there'd be a quick bit in English, which was hard to catch.

Last edited by The Fat Clerk; 20 Apr 2023 at 21:10.
Old 21 Apr 2023, 06:20 (Ref:4152330)   #4
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scrutineering at Jacobins. Place de Republique is in my opinion too busy and hot. The trees at Jacobins were nice too hide for the sun or rain and you had the chance too see the cars from very close.

Too close for some locals because over the years I saw more of them touching the cars, which is an absolute no-go for me. So I understand the reason why they moved away.
Old 21 Apr 2023, 08:52 (Ref:4152341)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Miss the gran marnier crepes for sure
The old days before Corporte hospitality when all areas were open to everyone/
The rows of model shops behind the pit straight, i know a few left but a fraction of old
The old village.
The smell of the place, food/smoke/unmentionable lavatories
Friends that are no longer with us
Old 21 Apr 2023, 11:07 (Ref:4152350)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Fat Clerk has mentioned RLM, so I should say that I miss -
  • The banter of the early RLM years between Trussers and Ian Titchmarsh
  • The similarly excellent banter, often during the night, between Jim Roller and Sam Collins
Old 21 Apr 2023, 11:13 (Ref:4152351)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I've changed the thread title as it's inevitable that people are contrasting the good and the not so good....

Into the good side of the scales for me go -
  • Free access to the museum with your entry ticket
  • The re-profiling of Tertre Rouge and the spectator bank inside the corner
  • The superb spectator bank at Indianapolis
  • Decent loos (which remove the need to carry a loo-roll in your backpack!)
  • The glass bottle ban - we no longer have a sea of green bottles in front of the grandstands on Sunday!)
Old 21 Apr 2023, 12:17 (Ref:4152360)   #8
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Certainly the improvement in the litter over the last few years, by sunday morning the mess in the area oposite the pits was dangerous. The musuem entry is another improvement and the large screens so much better than those old post with a black ad white screen showing some limited position data, anyone else remember them.
Old 21 Apr 2023, 18:18 (Ref:4152394)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Ah yes, the big screens, I should have mentioned those.....
Old 21 Apr 2023, 22:17 (Ref:4152419)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I remember a giant screen, between Ford chicane and Maison Blanche, that when up close you could just see the red, green and blue bulbs. Proper house lamp bulbs. Amazing tech! Round 1990 ish I guess.

(Great thread BTW)
Old 22 Apr 2023, 16:38 (Ref:4152503)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yeah, you had to be a decent distance from those early big screens to be able to see anything!
Old 24 Apr 2023, 07:59 (Ref:4152723)   #12
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I miss the viewing from the section on the inside of the run from the Esses to Tetre Rouge before they built the current spectator banking.

It used to be tree lined and the cars braked much harder than they do now, so was a great spot for watching up close and seeing the brakes glow. It was almost a 'secret' viewing point.

The old 'village' in the centre of the track. Much more of a warren of stalls selling food and tat, not the huge plaza you have now.

I also miss the variety of food you used to get, there's still the odd tartiflette stand but you used to have loads of different options not the same corporate beer and sandwich stands.

The tram line has taken away the fun task of trying to get back to the circuit after the Friday night trip to the town. Drunkenly wandering around the city streets to get to a main road to try and flag down a taxi.
Old 1 May 2023, 09:23 (Ref:4153986)   #13
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
I miss the acces to the outside of Porsche corner.

reasonable prices at the food vendors
Old 1 May 2023, 10:44 (Ref:4153995)   #14
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I miss variety on track. Between this year and next that should be remedied.

I miss the trees they cut down at Arnage to put the roundabout in. It feels very bare now.

I miss the ludicrous sight of people camping on gravel on the side of the road going past Expo parking. A road which is busy 24/7 for a week. Absolute misery and the true spirit of endurance!

Every time they build more corporate hospitality I miss whatever view has disappeared.

But on the whole, I think the experience has steadily improved in the time I have been going (since 2010).
- Much better spectator areas at Indianapolis, Arnage and Mulsanne.
- The pedestrian bridge at the main entrance so you don't get run over between the gate and the track.
- More tree planting at the top end of the circuit.
- Better toilets, but still work to do here.
- Opening the track for walking, cycling, scootering around.
- Free museum entry for race ticket holders. I don't think this was always the case?
Old 3 May 2023, 09:52 (Ref:4154297)   #15
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Definitely agree on the variety. Last year's event saw ZERO new machinery introduced for the 24 - which when you think about what the race represents and its history is a pretty sad stat.

Like Mike said though, over the next two years we'll be treated to hopefully 18 or so new cars making their debuts in the big race.
Old 3 May 2023, 22:20 (Ref:4154400)   #16
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I miss Tomas Enge's qualifying laps at 11.50pm on Thursday night..
Old 4 May 2023, 06:46 (Ref:4154422)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Good point. I miss proper qualifying - 6 hours of it. Not this poxy Hyperpole nonsense....
Old 4 May 2023, 08:21 (Ref:4154428)   #18
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
yes agree i much preferred the old quali sessions
Old 4 May 2023, 10:01 (Ref:4154443)   #19
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Me too
Old 5 May 2023, 12:01 (Ref:4154591)   #20
9203RW
Rookie

9203RW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great idea for a thread. First visit was in 1978 and this year will be my 40th, I think. Apart from Group C, especially in the late '80s, the thing I miss most is the view without catch fencing being in the way everywhere, especially opposite the pits and on the outside from the Esses to Tertre Rouge; and the trees that have been cut down in the area of the Esses; and the old sweeping Dunlop Curve and the run down to the old Esses. Like a sore thumb, I miss the squalor of the old facilities and the need to find a speaker for the hourly English language update. Radio Le Mans must be the greatest single improvement since I started going.
Old 5 May 2023, 14:30 (Ref:4154618)   #21
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Good point. I miss proper qualifying - 6 hours of it. Not this poxy Hyperpole nonsense....
Just tried to get my head round the timetable - free practice, qualifying practice, free practice, hyperpole, more free practice....its like an F1 sprint weekend..
Old 7 May 2023, 17:24 (Ref:4154863)   #22
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
The Good Things:As a Marshal - the Mulsanne Straight before the Chicanes were put in, boy was that quick.
As a speccie - The old stand above the Pits, we'd get there @ silly o'clock and position ourselves above Derek Bells Pit and wouldn't leave until our bladders forced us.The Bad:The years before Radio Le Mans, the circuit commentary was in French and once an hour there'd be a quick bit in English, which was hard to catch.
Agreed, even for the french commentary, Le Mans' official speaker was Jean Charles Laurens aka La voix des 24 Heures du Mans.

You can add the Dunlop curve without the stupid chicane and the Dutray watch made by Brillié instead of Tissot or even worse Seiko and Rolex.
https://www.24h-lemans.com/fr/actual...-du-mans-53976 Those were the days!
Old 7 May 2023, 17:42 (Ref:4154873)   #23
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard117 View Post
Scrutineering at Jacobins.
Agreed. But only one part of scrutineering was made at place des Jacobins, its called "pesage" in France. Then you had to go to the circuit and satisfy several operations. The most famous was to make a U-turn between the walls… No sport proto could clear that and it was fun to see the team mechanics cheating, pushing the car sideways to obtain the stamp on the official sticker. In principle, no one was allowed to watch when a works team was making its U-turn, specially if a french team…
Old farts, me for instance, remember that at the end of the first practice session we could stop for a moment at the end of the Mulsanne straight to have the headlamps adjusted. It was the S.E.V.Marchal area, Cibié was in a different area. Strange enough the U-turn and headlamp story are hard to be found and pics too. My memory? Not yet!
Old 7 May 2023, 17:48 (Ref:4154876)   #24
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
If those work
http://autoetcollections.free.fr/aut...74/mans74.html
https://www.24h-en-piste.com/fr/Affi...1975&Numero=33
Old 8 May 2023, 09:13 (Ref:4154973)   #25
kdr
Veteran

On the new things good side, i do kinda like the flag drop with that massive French military helicopter swooping up the grandstand straight, and i'm not sure when it started - but i LOVE them playing Also Sprach Zarathustra as the cars roll thru Karting and the Ford Chicane at the race start.