Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Mar 2002, 20:01 (Ref:246804)   #1
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Es

Hey, check this out. they are accepting pre-orders for the LMP07 Panoz and 1999 Mercedes CLR.

http://www.mailordercentral.com/replicarz/default.asp

You will have to go to "shop now" and scroll down to "Spark models."

Aslo planned by Spark models is the 1974 and 1975/76 mirages.

Last edited by Dr. Austin; 29 Mar 2002 at 20:02.
Old 29 Mar 2002, 21:02 (Ref:246860)   #2
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1:18 collectors, unite!

Why, why, why?!?!?!

Why don't we see more 1:18 models?

I am tired of these launches like "sensational! Porsche 956 Brun Jagermeister driven by Stefan Bellof! Limited series! Great price!"... and then, when you check the scale, it is a bloody 1:43!!!!

Argh!

Muzza
Old 29 Mar 2002, 21:12 (Ref:246874)   #3
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
heh ... thanks

i got my red lemans car the other day. the cameras on the road right now or id take pictures of it.
Old 29 Mar 2002, 22:41 (Ref:246965)   #4
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Re: 1:18 collectors, unite!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Muzza

I am tired of these launches like "sensational! Porsche 956 Brun Jagermeister driven by Stefan Bellof! Limited series! Great price!"... and then, when you check the scale, it is a bloody 1:43!!!!"

Where can i get one of those and who made it? that is one that i am missing.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 00:18 (Ref:247024)   #5
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Bellof Porsche 956 Brun Jagermeister

Dear Doc,

I think this model is a Quartzo (scale 1:43... ). Average quality. I got it in a stand in Bern, Swizerland, in August 1998, during a historic race meeting in Bremgarten.

For rather obvious reasons - Bellof and Jagermeister - this is my favorite 956...

I can send you a picture of it when I am back home (hopefully next weekend!).

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 30 Mar 2002, 00:30 (Ref:247031)   #6
Dr. Austin
Veteran

I've had the Quartzo, but I don't like their shortail 956. the longtails are much better. I really should just get off my bum and get a kit. The 956's aren't that hard to build.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 01:14 (Ref:247054)   #7
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Re: Bellof Porsche 956 Brun Jagermeister

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Muzza

I got it in a stand in Bern, Swizerland, in August 1998, during a historic race meeting in Bremgarten."

When did they start having motoracing again in Switzerland? i thought it was outlawed in 1955. Are the historic meertings races or non competitive events?

In the US, they race the **** out of historic cars. i think that probably isn't allowed in Switzerland, but i could be wrong about that.

Here is the quartzo 956K. The rear wing and it's support fins are moulded in one piece and the fins slot into the body. it just doesn't look right to me. I prefer the Minichamps. But the Minichamps Jagermiester is sold out, and the quartzos are getting rare too.

Muzza, please send me your mailing address in a private message so i can send you something.
Attached Thumbnails
qua3067.jpg  
Old 30 Mar 2002, 14:34 (Ref:247359)   #8
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The website says the number 5 and 6 Mercedes, I want number 4 (Webber)!Maybe a bit of customizing work for the good doctor!
Old 30 Mar 2002, 14:39 (Ref:247364)   #9
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick
The website says the number 5 and 6 Mercedes, I want number 4 (Webber)!Maybe a bit of customizing work for the good doctor!
Hit it with a hammer and roll it around in the dirt?

Here is the "before" version of Dumbreck's car.
Attached Thumbnails
clk44.jpg  
Old 30 Mar 2002, 14:53 (Ref:247376)   #10
Dr. Austin
Veteran

I have posted this story before, but it is worth putting up for those who didn't get to see it the first time. It is also good for a chuckle no matter how many times I tell it.

When webber crashed the second time, he did so in the race morning warm up. Once he was cleared to race by the medical staff, he went directly to the Mercedes garage. The crew were frantically thrashing to get the car ready for the race. The entire place was engulfed in sheer chaos. Mercedes had pulled out in 1988, a race the surely would have won, over tire conserns. It is still a decision they are loathe to even talk about. They would love to do it over, no doubt.

Now, with all the pride and money on the line, they had to stand and fight. There could be no pulling out. All three cars would make the show.

webber walks in visably shaken and waves off several press people. He walks over to one of the benches and leans on it, obviously wanting to be left alone. My friend who was there strolled up and leaned on the bench next to webber, gives him a big smile and asks him "Hey, Bud, how the hell are you gonna drive that car after the ride you just had?'

Now, remember that they are surrounded by media and mercedes brass. Norbert Haugg is only two feet away. The garage is the scene of intense interest from the entire racing world. There are cameras and microphones everywhere.

Webber doesn't even take time to think about what he has just been asked. With no consern that everyone will hear him, he loudly proclaims; "You aren't going to see ME get in THAT ****ing car, mate. No ****ing way!"

So the third Mercedes, thankfully did not make the race. Mercedes said it was over safety conserns, that they believed the flying problem was confined to the #4 car of webber. But the truth is they didn't have three drivers for it. And Webber never again drove for Mercedes. Not that he cares or anything....
Old 30 Mar 2002, 22:42 (Ref:247681)   #11
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Austin, does the Merc look like it is very low down at the back, and had the propensity to lose front end grip??
Old 30 Mar 2002, 23:45 (Ref:247718)   #12
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by The Beer Baron
Austin, does the Merc look like it is very low down at the back, and had the propensity to lose front end grip??
No, but it had a tendancy to tear down trees.

You are correct that part of the problem is that they had the rear end low to get the "rake" and it's inherent drag out of the car. As a result, the downforce also went away and when the nose pitched slightly up....oooooooops!

These big GT cars are nothing more that a flat bottomed airfoils. With the back end no higher than the front, any lifting of the nose is like an airliner picking it's nose wheel off the ground. Rotate and take off..........
Old 31 Mar 2002, 02:21 (Ref:247781)   #13
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Doc, funny every time I read it. Maybe Norbert can pay back Webber for the slur that the first flight was Webber's fault by giving him DC's seat at McLaren next year!
BTW, what scale is the Merc model and are you interested in making any more!?
Old 31 Mar 2002, 02:29 (Ref:247786)   #14
Dr. Austin
Veteran

The Merc is in 1/43, and a BBR handbuilt. Very nice kit, except the windshield is a bear. I can always build you a real expensive one, but Spark model is getting ready to produce it for around $30 US. And the Spark products are pretty darn good. each time they come out with a new model, the inprove the overall quality.

Actually, I don't build any of the current cars because the Sparks are so good that I don't need to bother. This frees me up to make more 917's and 956/62's. And, of course 908's and 926's.

SO ES!!!!!!!!!! I saw a Spark Panoz 07 today and you are going to be blown away. It is sooooo nice.
Old 31 Mar 2002, 03:11 (Ref:247798)   #15
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
myself i got my red lemans car the other day. the cameras on the road right now or id take pictures of it.
yup ... and i still am i need to clean the clear plasic display cover though
Old 31 Mar 2002, 03:44 (Ref:247809)   #16
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
(a little about) Racing in Switzerland

Hello, Doc

Thanks for posting the picture of Bellof's Jagermeister - it gave me goosebumps!

That's the model I've got, the Quartzo one. Yeah, we agree, not really of first echelon quality. But what a beautiful car - when would someone make a 1:18 model of it? Where are the 1:18 956s that Minichamps have been promising for a while? (oh, I also got their 917/20 Pink Pig - some time ago, before joining Ten Tenths. I saw the thread you posted about this model - yes, they did a great job!)

Unfortunately racing is still forbidden in Switzerland. As you pointed out, this was a reaction to the 1955 accident in Le Mans. Oddly only circuit races are forbidden. This means that there is no problem with hillclimb and rallying! Really. The famous Ollon-Villars climb is still organized, and I also attended two rallies in Valais myself.

By the way, many of the multi-millionaires living in Switzerland have unbelievable private collections, and if you happen to know the right guys, wow, you can experience the chance of seeing very rare, unique racing (and road) cars. If you are planning a trip to Switzerland, I recommend a visit to the Fondation Pierre Giannada museum in Martigny (about 1h20min drive from Geneva), and also a stop at the car collection at the Palexpo exhibition hall, just beside the Geneva airport. And the Salon de Geneve is quite good (better than Paris, in my opinion).

Well, don't you think that making hillclimbing and rallying safe is much more difficult than circuit racing??? Oh, pinch me, every culture has its own idiosyncrasies... Without extending myself too much in this subject, the big opposition comes from environmental groups, noise being the biggest concern. Racing has a big following in Switzerland, nevertheless (folks go mad about the Sauber racing team!).

There is though a private racing track in Lignieres, in the Fribourg canton. It is a track built by very rich people (imagine how much money is needed to build a track... and in Switzerland!!!) so they can drive their expensive machinery at their will. No real race happens there. Alas, that's the same thing with the Aneau du Rhin circuit in France, which was built in the late 90s in a small town by Colmar (pretty close to Switzerland).

This historic racing meeting in Bremgarten was a non-competitive event, but what a great one it was! It was a great day amongst good friends and beautiful cars. Once again (argh!) I cannot post pictures because I'm currently in Wisconsin... I guess I owe you some 20 pictures by now.

I am sending you a private message now.

Cheers,

Muzza