Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 Sep 2002, 14:57 (Ref:373085)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Volvo Motorsport Boss speaks on important things

Olle Odsell on ETCC & STCC
ETCC 04/09/02

Volvo International Motor Sport boss Olle Odsell participated in an interview at the official STCC site, www.stcc.se. Olle spoke about the 2003 season of ETCC and STCC mostly concerning Volvo but also some interesting things about other things. Read and enjoy the interview! The interview begins with a look on the current situation for Volvo in the ETCC. Olle Odsell is optimistic on the remaining races:

"Yes, we are aiming for victory in one of these races. We have used the pause between races since Oschersleben to fine tune the cars and also look over the engines so we naturally hope that our S60's will go better and faster than ever. Enna on Sicily is a track that should suit us well and also Donington Park and Estoril since all types of corners exists there and fast sections.

How does it look for the coming season?

I can't say so much about 2003 since the budget won't be ready until late September. We have discussed different solutions, but it is really no point in speculating in what will happen and not. The main lines is that we will continue with a two car team with Prodrive and Rickard Rydell is "our" man so he will most likely be with us. Concerning the second driver it isn't set yet if it he will continue or if a new driver will be brought in.

In Sweden and STCC most things are taken care of by Alexander Murdzevski in co-operation with Flash Engineering. I think that we will run a team with two or maybe four cars. Different solutions are being discussed. There are also studies on finding a cheaper alternative. There the S40 comes in to the picture. I think we could take forth a "upgrade kit" for about 1 million Swedish Kronor. That is much cheaper that a Prodrive built S60. Such an ETCC-car with a "packet" with spare parts and support ought to land some where between 2-3 million Swedish Kronor. Then I think the S40-concept could be interesting.

Cars from Danish DTC will also be allowed to drive in the STCC?

Yes, it seems like it will be like that. They are a second or two slower per lap, but they will have results of their own. I think the DTC-cars will be a great reinforcement. We will most likely also get many colourful drivers. Peugeot has already said that they will come with their 307 Gti and it will get a new type of engine this autumn that will make it more suitable for racing. It seems quite certain that Jason Watt will drive in the STCC and he is a very skilful driver - even though his handicap - and a great PR-man.

How does it look in the ETCC then?

I was in Paris a few days ago at the FIA to take part in two meetings. The first meeting was held for the Touring Car Technical Group and the second one was a larger meeting where "all" manufacturers were present - the Manufacturers Commission. Actually these meeting are quite frustrating since nothing is decided but the work group leaves considerations and suggestions further on to the FIA World Council. The Touring Car Technical Group is really about the three official manufacturers, Alfa Romeo, BMW and Volvo. For next year it looks good with Seat and MG. Also Honda and Nissan are expected to come with official programmes and it is good for the ETCC. On the meeting it was as usual - every one was pulling their way.

Alfa Romeo wants a return to the previous rules. BMW want it the way it is now and we at Volvo are some where in between! Right now it seems as if they will go back to the "old" weight - 1.140 (FWD) and 1.170 (RWD) kilos. They will keep the rev. limits at the current 8.500 rpm (4 cyl.), 8.750 rpm (5 cyl.) and 9.000 rpm (6 cyl.). Then sequential gearboxes will be allowed. BMW negotiated a possibility to keep five speed H-pattern gearboxes in return that they can have lower weight - minus 30 kilos. This is for sure a compromise and follows in large what we had in mind. The World Council will probably approve these rule changes at their meeting in about one month, which is good because it gives us all a possibility to build after these new rules.

Back to the STCC. What do you think of the coming season?

It is impossible to speculate in. As it looks now I certainly believe that it won't be fewer cars. We will bring two, maybe four cars. I am sure that a couple of drivers will aim for the "low price version" S40. Then there is much that indicates that BMW will come with two officially supported cars and that it certainly wouldn't surprise me if it will come a couple, or three privateer cars which will be prepared with BMW's "ETCC-kit". Most of the teams that are competing in the STCC right now, Audi, Honda Opel and Picko (Vauxhall) will probably continue in one way or the other. Then some Danes will come. How many I don't know. Though Peugeot seems to be set. There is also talk of some other news that can renew the STCC and that is good. All in all I think that STCC AB and also the teams are quite well prepared and it wouldn't surprise me if we get totally 15-20 cars in the start field.

Source: www.stcc.se

Johan Meissner
johan@meissner.se
Old 4 Sep 2002, 16:20 (Ref:373111)   #2
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks,JM!!!!!

Kurt
Old 4 Sep 2002, 17:25 (Ref:373137)   #3
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, I love JMeissner. He keeps us pretty up to date on the STCC. Too bad the official STCC website doesn't have an english section, I would love to read more of the articles they have. Now if only we can find someone to translate news on the Nordic series?
Old 5 Sep 2002, 05:35 (Ref:373523)   #4
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top stuff, interesting read. From the sounds of it both the ETC and STCC are in for good seasons in 2003.
Old 5 Sep 2002, 19:40 (Ref:374016)   #5
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meanwhile, the BTCC seems to be at a crossroads again with MG pulling out but Ford possibly entering the series?? Perhaps the SP2000 rules are the way to go... The BTCC have to follow the manufacturers and not the other way around.
Old 5 Sep 2002, 19:50 (Ref:374026)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not so much as the rules, but the coverage IMO.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 06:59 (Ref:374238)   #7
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Roll on 2003!