Old 20 Sep 2002, 06:15 (Ref:384607)   #1
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
St. Petersburg CART Race

hi-

Has anyone seen the beautiful layout for the St. Pete race: www.gpstpete.com To me this looks like a great layout right on the waterfront and around a picturesque part of town. I also like the inclusion of the wide airport runway, it should be the best of long beach and cleveland all in one track and I can't wait! I attended every CART race in Cleveland until we moved to Florida and am excited to see them back in the area especially since it isn't the homestead oval! All that said I still wish the Champ Cars would run at Sebring the same weekend as the 12 hours, would that be a show, last year there were over 100,000 people race day!

This is my first post and I'm excited that I found this site, it seems like a great forum for race fans.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 06:35 (Ref:384614)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Hello Brightline! Welcome to TenTenths, I know you'll love it here.

We're all looking forward to St. Pete's. The layout looks spectacular and great for racing.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 10:53 (Ref:384721)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the forum, Brightline, and if you go to the St. Petes race I hope you'll come and tell us all about it! In fact, if you want to write about it for the newsletter, I'd be glad to hear from you. [end of commercial advertisement].
Old 20 Sep 2002, 11:35 (Ref:384750)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks a bit fuddy duddy and twisty, but definately should be a great location for a race. Haven't they had Trans AM type races in the past?
Old 20 Sep 2002, 13:19 (Ref:384817)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Come on Crash! That looks great. It's only twisty in one section of the track. Other than that it looks wide open. I reckon there'll be 2 or 3 good passing spots there.
Old 20 Sep 2002, 13:58 (Ref:384848)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They _didn't_ need that stupid first-corner chicane.

Otherwise, seems like a decent effort from here...

I know street courses are profitable, but CART"s just running way too many of them. Purebred racing machines just don't belong on city streets; It's fun when it's a novelty, insanely frustrating when it's the bulk of the championship. This is the biggest complaint I have about Pook....
Old 20 Sep 2002, 16:25 (Ref:384901)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome brightline!
Old 20 Sep 2002, 22:14 (Ref:385090)   #8
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How rude of me - welcome to the forum brightline!
Old 21 Sep 2002, 03:26 (Ref:385153)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
welcome to the forum brightline! Have a great time in Long Beach, and please tell us all about your experience there.

It looks like an amazing event to attend, with ALMS and Cart in one weekend on the same circuit. As for Cart having too many street circuits...never! I like the idea that the majority of Cart's races can be attended by people who don't normally go to races...it's a good way to attract new fans. That said, races on permanent road circuits are always good and Cart could use more of those.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 21 Sep 2002, 06:42 (Ref:385199)   #10
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crash-

Trans Am ran St. Pete once about 3 or 4 years ago, but in downtown around what is now Tropicana Field (Devil Rays Stadium). That layout was very accessible for fans but with poor grandstand locations. They discontinued the race Trans Am race because of stadium improvement for baseball and the race was moved to and has stayed in Sebring ever since, making the 12 hours of Sebring a full weekend of racing with trans am, speed channel cup (or whatever it is called now), barber dodge pro, more vintage races than I thought possible, and of course ALMS.
Old 21 Sep 2002, 09:44 (Ref:385232)   #11
GoFaster
Racer

GoFaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's refreshing to see some positive posts on this forum.
Brightline,there is a CART fantasy league here that you may want to join.I think you can still get in for the remainder of this season,but if not you can in '03.I hope you have 20 or more drivers to choose from in '03.
Old 22 Sep 2002, 11:29 (Ref:385821)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Taaa Brightline- I think I remember watching that race on TV.

We have a similar sitaution with street courses here in Australia. It's a double edged sword- great for the series', spectators and introducing new followers, but they are killing the traditional road tracks, which otherwise might get a round...