Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 24 Mar 2003, 22:24 (Ref:546903)   #1
davehewitsonuk
Rookie

davehewitsonuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing!

Hey guys,

i am very interested in beginning racing. i am only 16 (17 this september), and i am very interested in the 750 stockhatch championship.

i was just wondering how to start off, i have been given some advice to start off by attending sprints. is this a good idea? should i do this for this year, and then next season enter the 750 stock hatch?

also, on the subject of cars. i absolutely love peugeots, and i was wondering what the pros and cons are of the 106 and the 205.

sorry to ask so many questions

thanks

Dave
Old 24 Mar 2003, 23:25 (Ref:546940)   #2
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Start at www.msauk.org
Old 25 Mar 2003, 08:27 (Ref:547173)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by davehewitsonuk
Hey guys,

i am very interested in beginning racing. i am only 16 (17 this september), and i am very interested in the 750 stockhatch championship.

i was just wondering how to start off, i have been given some advice to start off by attending sprints. is this a good idea? should i do this for this year, and then next season enter the 750 stock hatch?

also, on the subject of cars. i absolutely love peugeots, and i was wondering what the pros and cons are of the 106 and the 205.

sorry to ask so many questions

thanks

Dave
Hi Dave,

I have a lot of time for the 750 MC. They have a lot of experienced racers who are always more than helpful. However the Stock and Hot Hatch championships have a lot of younger more inexperienced racers and as such I wouldn't recommend any new starter entering those champs.

It is a cheap way to start but by the time you've changed the shell up to three times in a season you may as well have gone to the CTCRC and competed for a season in Mini or something similar.

I know I am biased (I race, when I can, in Group 1) but if you are going to go racing I'd recommend spending a bit more and doing it in a Championship where there are young and (as with me) old drivers all competing together. That way you get a better insight into what's happening.

Have a look here http://www.csccgb.co.uk

We run a Pre 90 class and If I am right I believe you can run a 205 GT1. You would need to check that though.

Anyway whatever you do I wish you luck.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 09:36 (Ref:548465)   #4
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dave - in addition to Peter's advice above, somehow, get to attend some sprints, hillclimbs and club races where competitors are using the cars you think you'd like to compete with.
Take a close look around the paddocks, look and listen and spot the the specs of the winning cars. It's generally OK to ask the odd question or two, except when there about to go out and perform.
Maybe you can find a small team local to you who could do with some help at the weekend which is a quick way to find out how it all works.
Also watch what's going on on the circuit, the lines and revs and driver activity.
But - big but - the only stuff worth commiting to close attention is the stuff you observe from the guys who are doing the winning. Pretty much, the rest of it, with all due respect, doesn't count.
Yes, good luck.
Old 26 Mar 2003, 14:49 (Ref:548808)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
best advice I can give to you as a 16 yr old is I hope yr dad has deep pockets!
Old 26 Mar 2003, 16:31 (Ref:548883)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
ha ha . . .Im thirty one and struggling . . . .shoestring finance PLC arent doing me justice

I may have to float the house to finance the rest of the car!
Old 26 Mar 2003, 16:48 (Ref:548903)   #7
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its addictive dangerous sport and unless you are willing to spend the rest of your life with no money then dont even bother
Old 27 Mar 2003, 08:51 (Ref:549695)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
my wife would concur with that!
Old 27 Mar 2003, 14:47 (Ref:550032)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Id agree with addictive . . .and dangerous from a financial point of view . . .hopefully blowing £500 of the kitchen fund on a good roll cage will help keep me safe
Old 27 Mar 2003, 19:41 (Ref:550349)   #10
johneturbo
Rookie

johneturbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey dave
i'm about to start my first season racing and in the 750 stoch hatch
in a pug205 my first race is this sunday.. the best way is to attend some races and have a chat with the drivers to get an idea of whats involved..thats what i did.
and i went to a couple of stoch hatch races and saw some very close but fair racing and the drivers were very friendly.
and i'm sure you could enter and not have to re-shell upto 3 times
if you want some more info just ask
i'm running a website for my first season
if you want some more info
MY SITE

good luck
Old 27 Mar 2003, 21:11 (Ref:550435)   #11
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good luck JohneTurbo; keep it on the black stuff.
Old 28 Mar 2003, 18:37 (Ref:551373)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Im facing another year of mechanics mate to learn as much as i can . . . .got my wig welder and compressor all up and running today . . . .shell prep here ew come
Old 29 Mar 2003, 07:24 (Ref:551873)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
WIG? welder? Hmm Sir. Suits you!
Old 30 Mar 2003, 00:09 (Ref:552523)   #14
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
wiggins?? I used to spanner in the stock hatch but we lleft the series cos our car kept getting smashed up by people trying silly things. Went and did for saloons instead.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 14:00 (Ref:553793)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
its a 'Wire in gun' welder Peter.

as If Id make a typing errer