Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 22 Jul 2003, 01:57 (Ref:667844)   #1
alfaman
Racer

Mauritius
Middlesex
alfaman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Castle Combe - Aug 2nd

Does anyone know how the entries are looking for this meeting mixing the Combe championships with HSCC classes??

And have the Combe GTs managed to get a decent grid? Hopefully something over 15?

Any links to relevant sites would be appreciated.
Old 22 Jul 2003, 13:16 (Ref:668286)   #2
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Classic Clubman's are there as an invited formula, (we normally race with BARC), we've got a grid of 28 at close which is pretty good. Don't know about the other HSCC stuff but Histerical FF always get good grids I think.
Aren't the local Combe formula's always mixed with something though ?, i.e they're always in the schedule of a Combe meeting whatever the event ?
Old 22 Jul 2003, 22:09 (Ref:668847)   #3
G Tanner
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare
G Tanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure that the FF1600 & saloons will be up around the 30 mark. Not sure about the GT's but the HSCC championships have looked pretty good from what I've seen this year.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 10:06 (Ref:670128)   #4
Tony Harman
Veteran

Finals arrived this morning, good grids for everyone, all around 25 cars plus, except the local GT's which only have 9 entries ?, always thought that was a well supported formula ???
Anyway looking forward to some good weather I hope.
Old 24 Jul 2003, 11:06 (Ref:670155)   #5
G Tanner
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare
Lets hope for some late entries in the GT's then, plus good weather of course.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 15:15 (Ref:671177)   #6
alfaman
Racer

Mauritius
Middlesex
alfaman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the Combe GTs do end up with only 9 cars on raceday wouldn't it be sensible for the BRSCC to run them at the end of the day?

Wouldn't this be more popular with drivers in other races and spectators who don't want to watch 9 GTs droning round the circuit.

Doesn't it beg the question - is it time for Castle Combe circuit and the BRSCC to put the GT championship out of its misery??

Thanks for the info Tony. Hope you have good day.

Last edited by alfaman; 25 Jul 2003 at 15:16.
Old 25 Jul 2003, 15:27 (Ref:671188)   #7
Tony Harman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by alfaman
- is it time for Castle Combe circuit and the BRSCC to put the GT championship out of its misery??
Well that's the tough decision that might have to be taken. Rule of thumb is if the average drops below 15 then it's costing money, all club formulae have been warned over the last couple of years. That's why organisations like 750 m/c have had to axe formulae such as S2000.
I'm not a follower of the series but was surprised at the numbers, used to be very popular. Maybe this is partly due to the lack of home constructors and designers these days ??
Even Bob Light (?) isn't entered.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 19:57 (Ref:676611)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob Light has now 'retired'... and flogged the Stealth! GT's need a shake up.

Record grids for the Classic Clubmans I see.. Should be an excellent day!
Old 1 Aug 2003, 11:02 (Ref:677035)   #9
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What site do you go on to view the entry lists?
It will be an excellent day at Combe, especially as this bloody rain is supposed to go away for quite a while.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 11:27 (Ref:677055)   #10
Tony Harman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamness
What site do you go on to view the entry lists?
Never found driver entry details on a website. Just get them from the finals when they are posted through.
If you were after specfic info give the office at Combe a call.
Unfortunately we've had to withdraw from this meeting.
Old 2 Aug 2003, 22:49 (Ref:678181)   #11
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a bloody fantastic day at Combe. Admittedly 8 of the 10 grids were choc a bloc full, with the Formula Fords, sorry, FF1600 if we are to be politically correct,boasting 35 runners in practice, but it just goes to show what can be achieved in what is basically a bottom of the rung club meeting. I heard a few newcomers to the circuit saying what a great day out they had. So, do we deduce from this that Combe is the best Club circuit in the UK or do we think that clubs like the HSCC who bring loads of entries with them, provide the entertainment.
I think it is a bit of both. You cannot be other than impressed with the laid back atmosphere at Combe but they certainly have their finger on the button in getting races run to a very strict schedule, whilst the organising club provided a fantastic mix of good, honest club racing. If every meeting across the calendar provided as much entertainment, we wouldnt be on here so much moaning about the lack of excitement/numbers of cars/ wish I had stayed at home syndrome as we have now.
Simple answers - Cut the number of Chamionships drastically, not just by a few but by a lot.
Give them more track time. Does not have to be a double header but time on track for those who are shelling out the spondulicks is probably a very important element. A longer qualifying seesion during the morning is probably not that hard to fit in. We have to remember that these guys/gals are paying a lot of money themselves to even present themselves on the grid for our entertainment.
Stop the number of conflicting race meetings on the same dates/areas that appeal to the the same set of spectators. The last weekend in June when there were meetings at 11! circuits across the UK is a prime example.

Dilute the sport into even more series/championships/one makes/"happy if we get 6 cars on the grid"/"there has been a lot of interest" and the whole thing is heading for trouble. Lets hope the Chamionship Panel get it right and only sanction right and proper series.

Focus Cup anybody ??
Old 3 Aug 2003, 16:04 (Ref:678769)   #12
G Tanner
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare
I think you are spot on. Combe will always do it's best to run an efficient meeting. Circumstances will intervene occassionally but on the whole slick meetings are the norm. Add to this some excellently supported HSCC championships and you have an excellent days racing. It should be stressed that it doesn't happen by accident but is down to a lot of hard work behind the scenes. It also helps being a one club circuit. Consistency in the organising & support team makes a big difference. Personally one of the best races I thought was Race 10 Classic Sports Car with an excellent dice for 2nd between the MGB's,TVR and the Lotus.

Roll on 3 weeks time
Old 3 Aug 2003, 22:41 (Ref:679035)   #13
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
G_Ilott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where were you marshalling Dan?
Old 4 Aug 2003, 11:04 (Ref:679439)   #14
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was at Tower In..

Excellent day, and it convinces me that this type of motor racing is the place to start.. Close stuff but entirely clean!

Sorry to miss you again Tony, hopefully your troubles aren't too serious.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 12:14 (Ref:679507)   #15
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
What do you look like? - I was shooting at Tower for several hours, off and on.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 12:26 (Ref:679533)   #16
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He was the chap in the orange overalls stood next to me
Presumably you'd have been one of the chaps with the camera's? Presumably you were there for the FF race, we were the pair straight, on by the lights.

Last edited by Marshal; 4 Aug 2003 at 12:30.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 13:38 (Ref:679613)   #17
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any good pictures G_Ilott ?
Old 4 Aug 2003, 15:20 (Ref:679701)   #18
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
Dunno yet - I shoot slides and I've just this minute sent them off to Kodak. I don't have a film scanner yet but rest assured I'll post some when I do. May be a couple of months hence....

I treated Combe as practice with my big lens so I doubt any will be stunning. I live in hope though!

I was the sweaty mongrel with the big nose and purple TVR cap looking into a big black light bucket atop a monopod and generally having a hard time swapping teleconvertors on and off, and finding the right film in my Lowepro backpack. Trust me to take 5 rolls of Velvia, which I had to push 1 stop and that's gonna cost me extra for developing. Doh!

If you saw me, I hope you get well soon.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 18:37 (Ref:679844)   #19
Paul V
Racer

Paul V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone see the 'save' of the day at Camp. The Subaru of Graham Neale lost it, went over the paddock access tarmac at 45deg to the normal, then onto the grass. As he went onto the grass tho' he kept his foot 'right in'.
Everyone standing under the bridge (Scruts & Breakdown mainly) held their breath as Subaru vs. various laws of physics was fought out. After 50yds of sideways, turf throwing, barrier skimming he caught it and only just missed the Astra as he got back on the tarmac.
I would guess that the smell of adrenalin was in the air (or race suit).
Subaru 1. Newton (and others) 0
Old 4 Aug 2003, 19:13 (Ref:679861)   #20
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yes - I was on the incident team on the startline and had a great view of the rapidly approaching, sideways and temporarily airborne scooby. We all rapidly decided that discretion was the better part of valour and valiantly ran away only to be pelted by the divots that cleared the debris fencing.

Needless to say that when he came into the pits to see how much of the car was left (and to get his overalls serviced) he got a round of applause. Definitely the save of the season so far.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 21:51 (Ref:682329)   #21
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
Did anyone get any good pics?
Old 10 Aug 2003, 23:50 (Ref:684615)   #22
G_Ilott
Racer

United Kingdom
Dorset, UK
I've got me pics back and..... arrrrggghhh, more than a few (read most) exhibit tell-tale signs of too-slow-shutter-speed syndrome. 1/250 sec was not quite enough, so I have potentially lovely, stable and interesting shots that happen to have the subject a bit motion-blurred and that just looks poor. Not even slightly artistic. 1/350 sec was perfect on the day, as those shots are pleasing and sharp. Sharp as sheep sh... plops.

My panning ability has dropped since giving up motorsport three years ago. My excuse is it's my first use of the big lens on the monopod, and I find as I pan I trace an arc with the lens. I soon learned to start off a bit wonky so that as I reached the point of shutter release, the car wasn't attempting a 30 degree incline. I do have a couple (literally two) nice and very sharp pans. One of that red TVR Grantura (Mark someone) and the other of a red FFord.

All in all, I have learned a lot from my first outing with the 300 and I'll set a bleedin' faster shutter speed next time.

The EOS 1N coped extremely well with the variable lighting, only chucking its guts a couple of times on backlit scenes where I didn't have time to dial-in compensation.

I am very pleased with my paddock shots, being varied, saturated (used Velvia), sharp and well-exposed. I didn't get as many driver-concentrating-in-car shots but I will do more next time.

Over and out.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 12:08 (Ref:694291)   #23
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by G Tanner
I think you are spot on. Combe will always do it's best to run an efficient meeting. Circumstances will intervene occassionally but on the whole slick meetings are the norm. Add to this some excellently supported HSCC championships and you have an excellent days racing. It should be stressed that it doesn't happen by accident but is down to a lot of hard work behind the scenes. It also helps being a one club circuit. Consistency in the organising & support team makes a big difference. Personally one of the best races I thought was Race 10 Classic Sports Car with an excellent dice for 2nd between the MGB's,TVR and the Lotus.

Roll on 3 weeks time
Agreed, I've not really ever had a bad day at Combe. If there is good racing, a good team atmosphere, Lunches aren't lost without a fight, and what you do is organised well and appreciated - you tend to forget things like you've been standing in the rain all day without a hut. Combe isn't perfect, but they have a good attitude to their voluteers and reap what they sow.