Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Dec 2003, 22:54 (Ref:811249)   #151
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now whos looking for a new engine?

Is the Lister update, to make the car a Hybrid or 2004 spec car? If not when are they planning a 'new' car?
Old 13 Dec 2003, 22:59 (Ref:811253)   #152
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's an update, they have updated the airbox, the aero package and the engine.
Old 13 Dec 2003, 23:06 (Ref:811260)   #153
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Not a new engine - existing engine - potentially in existing LMP1 car
Old 14 Dec 2003, 06:38 (Ref:811401)   #154
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham Goodwin
Not a new engine - existing engine - potentially in existing LMP1 car
Peugeot ?
Old 14 Dec 2003, 10:39 (Ref:811474)   #155
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Warm
Old 14 Dec 2003, 10:44 (Ref:811484)   #156
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Huh... JPX ?
Old 14 Dec 2003, 13:25 (Ref:811594)   #157
nicos935
Rookie

nicos935 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone knows what's going with Durango Engineering ?
Old 14 Dec 2003, 13:48 (Ref:811612)   #158
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by nicos935
Someone knows what's going with Durango Engineering ?
There was something on DSC the other day saying that they are going to enter both the LMES and submit an entry for Le Mans as well.
Old 14 Dec 2003, 17:04 (Ref:811687)   #159
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup, that's what Durango has announced - the full LMES season. I hope they will show up.
Old 14 Dec 2003, 17:10 (Ref:811689)   #160
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
Yup, that's what Durango has announced - the full LMES season. I hope they will show up.
With the car they used this season?
Old 14 Dec 2003, 21:31 (Ref:811799)   #161
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
With the car they used this season?
Who knows, really. Maybe with an updated version; one can always hope.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 21:23 (Ref:813453)   #162
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Right ..... whatever you folks do , dont type DBA04 in the google search engine . Some of you spanish speaking people might get a thrill !!!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 21:35 (Ref:813465)   #163
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it´s very strange .
Old 16 Dec 2003, 22:31 (Ref:813536)   #164
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks very exciting for European Racing....

and a GREAT time for anyone looking to run ALMS to mount an LMP1 effort...

and there are cost-effective ways to do it...as noted in my "Shoestring" thread...

Why???

Champion Audi
Two Dyson MG-Lolas
Two Intersport Cars (Lola B160/Judd & the R&S)

Possible runner for the AmeriSuites R&S???
-Still no work on this one....I assume it sold for that great
price...

That's five prototypes for sure and possibly a sixth....

Now if I'm looking for my best options (other than Petit Le Mans class win) at an automatic bid to Le Mans for Season results....

I'd take my chances on THIS side of the pond!!!!!

One-Third of that list consists of grenades on wheels...and they aren't the R&S cars, the Audi, or the Intersport Lola....

If Intersport's racing luck continues like it did for most of last year, they may be doing a lot of bodywork again....(hope not...I like that team!!!)

That gives my ALMS LMP1 entry a decent shot at competing for one of those automatic bids....

Sure beats butting heads with double the Audis, RFH, Pescarolo, the two Dallaras, etc., etc., etc...that everyone has listed above in a very full and competitive LMP1 category over there in Europe...

I'd like my odds a lot better over here.....and I wouldn't have to drag my car across the Atlantic to compete at Sebring to get a look for a possible LM invite, nor do that hauling in the fall for Petit...

From that perspective, ALMS looks like a really sweet deal to me...

After all...everything is a matter of perspective...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 22:37 (Ref:813547)   #165
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So how many VeloSportUK Audis are we up to so far
Old 17 Dec 2003, 06:52 (Ref:813715)   #166
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
So how many VeloSportUK Audis are we up to so far
I don't think they could enter more than one...

But with the good news we have nowadays, who knows ?

Last edited by Fab; 17 Dec 2003 at 06:52.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 11:03 (Ref:813877)   #167
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Here's hope that, at least, they give Henri better engines.
Unless I'm wrong but I have heard somewhere that Henri was talking to Cosworth!
Old 17 Dec 2003, 11:04 (Ref:813879)   #168
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
and Audi it said on the LMES race I saw on Motors Monday
Old 17 Dec 2003, 12:40 (Ref:813971)   #169
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
So he's talking to all sorts of people then
Old 17 Dec 2003, 13:27 (Ref:814027)   #170
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Two Notes:

1. My Audi count is at two -- Team Goh and Audi UK -- with the Sanish team that supposedly has the $$$ to run one (rumored?) would make three...the only one in ALMS I know of is Champion....

2. Henri said at the LM 1000K (par a thread by Fab) that he had an interest in the Judd 5.0L also...but Fab's post above sounds like those options weren't going to work for his budget...

But he is NOT stuck with the Sodemo Peugeots if he will only think outside the box!!!!!

No...this will NOT be a "Sprint Car Engine" spin....

Look for a thread I'll be starting today...

I have now expanded my search into other areas to add to my "LMP1 on a Shoestring" thread I started, and I can make a strong case for another engine option that is "Dirt Cheap"....and if it is done right, can be done with Turbos!!!!

I'm going to call it "Pesca's Solution for Cheap Power"....

Don't let the suspense kill you.....I'm confirming a few more details first to amke my case as strong as possible...

Stay tuned....I promise it'll be interesting...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 Dec 2003, 18:08 (Ref:814313)   #171
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tim I think your missing the point with regards to the motives of the Euro teams competing in the LMES.

For many of these teams (particulalry the smaller teams) LM is a bonus, however there main reason for racing is the LMES in Europe.

Afterall LM has always been there yet teams such as Rollcentre, Creation, etc. have not entered LMPs at LM. This is because LM on its own was not financially viable for them, and the FIA SCC was not attractive to them for a number of reasons.

The Spanish Engineering team for example would only have competed at LM if they had works backing and could win the race. After there 'works' LMGTP program collapsed they were not going to race in prototypes as they could not raise the finace for LM without having a realistic chance to win. The LMES however is easier to sell to sponsors, as over a season they would stand a much better chance of picking up good results and therefore Spanish Engineering plan to compete in prototypes, even without works support.

As for the car they will run, that is unknown. The Audi deal seems to have fallen through, but the team claim to have funding in place to run at least one LMP1.

The remaining 2002 spec Audi looks like it will go to Veloqux. Champion have first option, but lack the funding and competition in the ALMS to justify running a second car.

Its worth bearing in mind that the ACO wants to promote the LMES 1000K events into major races in themselves, which will attract sponsors and teams. Previously FIA SCC teams could only point to LM as a race were they would get significant media coverage. The rest of the FIA SCC was a virtual right in terms of media interest. Hopefully the LMES will be very different and I am certainly as interested in the Silverstone 1000Ks as I am LM. You would have to go back to the Group C days to say something like that. Only the ALMS Silverstone race in 2000 came close in terms of interest.

Its also nice to see that after the folly of chasing TV ratings with the 'sprint' races at the end of Group C and Mercedes influenced FIA GT series (GT1 days), that the ACO/Ratel have realiseed the fans, manufactuers and teams (particularly privateers with paying drivers) actually want true Endureance races. IMO the ALMS could learn from this. There most popular races are afterall Sebring and PLM.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 18:18 (Ref:814327)   #172
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Its also nice to see that after the folly of chasing TV ratings with the 'sprint' races at the end of Group C and Mercedes influenced FIA GT series (GT1 days), that the ACO/Ratel have realiseed the fans, manufactuers and teams (particularly privateers with paying drivers) actually want true Endureance races. IMO the ALMS could learn from this. There most popular races are afterall Sebring and PLM.
Not entirely true; PLM was a bust for TV ratings, and had lower total attendance than Mosport. (According to ALMS PR)

If you look back to the previous heyday of sportscar racing in North America, sprints always seemed to hold their own or be even more popular than the enduros (barring Sebring, with its international flavour).

That said, I'd still prefer to see a 6h race at Mosport over a 2h45...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Dec 2003, 18:37 (Ref:814347)   #173
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
As mentioned in this thread or another one , that there are two more DBA's under construction . Anyone have any idea if one of these cars is a spare chassis for Creation or are they both earmarked for new teams ?
Old 17 Dec 2003, 19:00 (Ref:814371)   #174
JAG
Veteran

England
In Europe at least the sprints have been a flop and drove many privateer teams away.

As for TV ratings, lets face it Sportscars, basically everthing but F1 in Europe is not going to get great TV ratings.

Better to cater for the teams and fans with Endurance races.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 20:09 (Ref:814447)   #175
The Badger
Veteran

Any chance of someone running an R&S over here ? Be great to see one caneing it around with Mark Goossens !!!