Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jan 2004, 17:59 (Ref:825219)   #1
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Confusion Never Stops...

I found this on another site.

Presenting to you...The Starting Lights for the 2004 Formula 1 Season!

Just another indication of technology gone wrong. Does anyone really need all those lights?
Old 1 Jan 2004, 18:02 (Ref:825221)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The warm up lap countdown is particularly odd.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 20:03 (Ref:825278)   #3
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Someone's taken the name "xmas tree" a bit toooo far maybe?

I suggest the drivers drive with sunglasses

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 20:22 (Ref:825292)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Whats the point of having lights on as a "countdown"? If this is the case, there is no elimant of surprise anymore.
Old 1 Jan 2004, 20:26 (Ref:825295)   #5
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Whats the point of having lights on as a "countdown"? If this is the case, there is no elimant of surprise anymore.

No one complained over the startingprocedure, and it was fine as it was. Practically everybody -especially drivers- complain about grooved tyres, yet nothing is done in that department.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 00:10 (Ref:825406)   #6
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't why you are all getting your panties in a bunch. The actual start light procedure is exactly as it has been. I can't comment on the pre-warmup sequence as Channel 10 only cross to the cars coming out the last corner of the warmup lap.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 08:24 (Ref:825542)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
I don't think something changed here... The "countdows" is only for lights going on, as before. They still go off after a "random" 0 to 3 seconds time..
Old 2 Jan 2004, 08:50 (Ref:825548)   #8
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
In this age of fancy billboard gadgets etc why cant they have a board showing the actual time rather than them silly lights I know its "always" been used like that... but still...

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 09:23 (Ref:825561)   #9
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
It's more "visible". The pseudo analogic displays are always preferred to pure digital. I agree, the 5 minutes to formation lap signs could be actually replaced by a numeric timer, but you need a BIG display. But you can easily see that only 3 lights are on, from 100 meters distance, while you need to focus your attention to read 4'12", and the precise time isn't that important anyway. Besides, you can always consult your wrist watch..
Old 2 Jan 2004, 12:38 (Ref:825658)   #10
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see problems with this. No logic to the number of lights on display e.g. Why not just have Red Amber Green GO - to simple - I wonder how much was paid for this hash up?
Old 2 Jan 2004, 12:48 (Ref:825668)   #11
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Well, it sounds good... Trouble is that you would need too many colors for all signals that happen 1-2 hours before the start.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 12:55 (Ref:825671)   #12
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
hmm with the automated start why not just send a signal and all the cars shoot of automatically without any need for the driver to push a button

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 12:57 (Ref:825673)   #13
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually it does seem to be the same as its always been, just never really thought about it as a countdown before.

Its not like they're counting down to when the green lights go on.... I hope!
Old 2 Jan 2004, 13:01 (Ref:825675)   #14
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by Cougar21
hmm with the automated start why not just send a signal and all the cars shoot of automatically without any need for the driver to push a button
Well, actually that signal IS sent! But is illegal to intercept it! Well, the teams comply... most of them anyway..

It's about spectators too. Now, I would agree that it would surprise all of us when the cars would launch, without noticable signals, but it's funnier to count the lights and watch them going off...
Old 2 Jan 2004, 13:22 (Ref:825693)   #15
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie at the front - he can wave his wallet to signal the start everyone should see that
Old 2 Jan 2004, 13:30 (Ref:825700)   #16
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
LOL... what kind of signal is it and how can the know if you intercept it or not... Does the rule say "not intercept at all" or justy by the car... because then you could intercept it in the pits and send one to your car...

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 13:47 (Ref:825710)   #17
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
You obviously were not been playing close attention to the Renaults last year
Old 2 Jan 2004, 16:31 (Ref:825785)   #18
Epsilon
Racer

Canada
Hamilton, ON, Canada
Epsilon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
Actually it does seem to be the same as its always been, just never really thought about it as a countdown before
Right, it's the exact same as before. They just phrased it in a really confusing way for no apparent reason.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 16:51 (Ref:825795)   #19
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep!

Someone was probably bored.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 17:02 (Ref:825802)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I always like the bit about not regaining your grid position if the last car has passed you. Now, if 2 or more of you fail to go, last one to restart goes to the back, the others can hare through the weaving field...

I reckon it would be more fun if the last guy to catch the field starts from the back. Now we've got a real race!
Old 3 Jan 2004, 02:43 (Ref:826151)   #21
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yepp...somebody should just do away with all the lights stuff...turn off everything and when the drivers sit at the grid after the warm up, the green light will turn on suddenly without warning anytime from 1 to 5mins after they form up...that should catch some guys napping
Old 3 Jan 2004, 03:03 (Ref:826157)   #22
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Who cares .... must be off-season. I guess it does say something, when FIA ignores the real issues, and there are many (unfortunately most revolving around money).
Old 3 Jan 2004, 05:05 (Ref:826192)   #23
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
:: puts nose in the air and sniffs around ::

I smell the probing fingers of Tom Ridge and the agency of needless complexity

Last edited by avsfan733; 3 Jan 2004 at 05:14.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 08:02 (Ref:826264)   #24
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I stand to be corrected, but I believe that these lights are the same for quite some time by now. I think they are the same ever since they inroduced that '0-3 sec random time' for the lights to go off.

Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
I always like the bit about not regaining your grid position if the last car has passed you. Now, if 2 or more of you fail to go, last one to restart goes to the back, the others can hare through the weaving field...
Again, maybe I'm wrong, but the rule is (at least was) that driver can regain his position if he starts moving before the last car passes start line and not him.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 23:05 (Ref:826859)   #25
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Whats wrong with just dropping the national flag and your off....even better if the flag dropper stands infront of the grip to do it,then runs for his life like the guy at Monaco used to do.