Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 14 May 2004, 20:48 (Ref:971282)   #1
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Expansion of the LMES in 2005

So, with the first round of the series complete, what is everyone's thoughts on the format for next year's series? 4 races again? what tracks? race length? scheduling?

First off, I would like the scheduling for the FIAGT to work better with the LMES' so we can get some more cars in GTS. I love the 1000km format and hope that it stays the same. I think that next year the amount of races should stay the same as I can't think of a track which would be good for a fifth race... maybe Brno, or Catalunya?
Old 14 May 2004, 20:58 (Ref:971289)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd like to see them go with four again in 2005....

The two circuits you listed would be a great fifth race venue....either one would be fine with me...

Estoril or Valencia would be other possibilities....I think the Iberian Peninsula would support a race....

Holland would be a good possibility, too....

Zandvoort or Assen???

What about the A-1 Ring in Austria???

A Side Note:

In another thread on the LMES, there was reference to a possible LMES "Special Event" somewhere like China or Japan....

I'd love to see them do it like an "All-Star Race" and take the top 5 teams for the Season in each of the four classes from ALMS and LMES, then add 5 "Wild Cards" from any class from each Series for a 1000 K race or something longer...like 8 hours...

But I want them to get settled in and established first before they expand....so I woundn't look at doing it in 2005...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 14 May 2004, 21:01 (Ref:971294)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If I really had my choice, I would like to see the grow into a seven race season by the year 2010...more than what they do now, but not too many races....

and with seven, you could spread them out a little bit geographically, or if two are not far away from one another (Holland & Belgium), put one in the Spring and the other late summer or early fall...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 14 May 2004, 21:33 (Ref:971323)   #4
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think only 'classic/Historic' tracks would be considered, with Fuji (re-opens in 2005) and Suzuka obvious candidates in Asia.

Maybe Brands Hatch in the UK and one other European event.
Old 14 May 2004, 21:40 (Ref:971329)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes I think they expand the series in 2005. I think they will add 2 more race one in the Far East, more than likly Japan. As for the other race I can see them adding a race somewhere in Europe.
Old 14 May 2004, 23:33 (Ref:971408)   #6
tblincoe
Veteran

im not sure if this is the right time to add a race in japan just yet. i mean lots of the teams are struggling to put together budgets to race in Europe alone... unless the LMES finds an official partner like FedEx or UPS or something like that to transport cars for free, they will alienate a bunch of the teams during that round. i would say wait a few years before the series moves out of europe, then look to maybe merge a race or two in the US (A couple of joint ALMS/LMES rounds at say Sebring and Petit which would count points for finishers in both series) then look to branch out into Asia and possibly the new track in Turkey or something like that
Old 15 May 2004, 00:10 (Ref:971422)   #7
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going to Asia now would be too quick, as was said these teams don't have the money to send all quickly over to the other end of the world.

In my opinion, they should keep their heads cool. The last thing I want to see is quick growth just for profit, that may lead to things like "appealing to a wider public", like the end of Group C with the sprint races and unique engine rules....Or even if these drastic things don't happen, the series may grow quicker than the teams, and you will see them jumping the ship.

Keep it four, maybe five (of course it can be other four or five circuits) for the next year or two, then see if there's still interest to go a bit further.
Old 15 May 2004, 00:42 (Ref:971438)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Like FIA ETCC and FIA GT, any fly away events would have transport cost covered by a sponsor, or there will be no race.
Old 15 May 2004, 00:59 (Ref:971451)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't one of the reason's for starting the LMES to rebirth the classic 1000km races. I couldn't see them adding new races at Valencia or Brno for that reason. As has been mentioned Brands Hatch could work, but if they went to Japan it technically wouldn't be the LMES anymore would it

In many ways 4 is probably enough. Add those 4 to Le Mans, plus maybe Sebring and the Petit Le Mans, the proposed 'World Cup', and then a team has 8 or so races already to attend.

I do like the look of this series though. Proper endurance races like the old days, what European SPortscar racing has been crying out for since the end of Group C.
Old 15 May 2004, 02:23 (Ref:971482)   #10
tblincoe
Veteran

why wouldn't valencia or brno work? "classic" means that they want the format and feel of the races to return. also, LMES stands for LeMans Endurance Series which doesn't mean a race outside Europe is not in the series' name per say. but i do agree that the series should stay in Europe for a while and if at all possible I would like to see a combination with ALMS for petit and sebring above any other expansion
Old 15 May 2004, 10:34 (Ref:971586)   #11
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Expansion of the LMES in 2005

Quote:
Originally posted by tblincoe
So, with the first round of the series complete, what is everyone's thoughts on the format for next year's series?
4 races again?
Yes. Let's get the 4 race series established before dreaming about more rounds.

Quote:
what tracks?
Same tracks.

Quote:
race length?
1000k, as this year.

Quote:
scheduling?
Depends on the ALMS and FIA timetables. Certainly, there should not be so long a break between Sebring (the international kick-off of LM style racing) and LM itself. there should be some ALMS rounds, and two LMES rounds before LM weekend.

Last edited by cybersdorf; 15 May 2004 at 10:34.
Old 15 May 2004, 13:57 (Ref:971700)   #12
JAG
Veteran

England
The problem with joint LMES/ALMS rounds, are the amount of grid spaces available.

Who would you turn away?
Old 15 May 2004, 13:57 (Ref:971702)   #13
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
They should drop Silverstone and give the race to Brands Hatch !!! Much better track in my opinion . I went to 1986 and 1988 Group C race there , loads of character and elevation changes the lot ...

Last edited by The Badger; 15 May 2004 at 13:59.
Old 15 May 2004, 14:07 (Ref:971706)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by The Badger
They should drop Silverstone and give the race to Brands Hatch !!! Much better track in my opinion . I went to 1986 and 1988 Group C race there , loads of character and elevation changes the lot ...
And about 350+miles from were I live, no thanks

Went once for the BPR GT race in 1996 (debut of the 911 GT1 after LM), sleeping overnight in the car.

Fabulous circuit, which is going through a revamp under the ownership of Jonathon Palmer.

I suppose I would have to make the trip if there was an LMES race there, though.

Silverstone gets slagged off a lot, but it has improved hugley in recent years, and is very atmospheric as night falls (ELMS 2000).
Old 15 May 2004, 14:45 (Ref:971730)   #15
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
LMES has still to find its public (see the Monza attendance ?)...

Let's make it solid, and then see what a world championship could do...

Remember that the costs will increase dramaticaly with the far east trips.

Public (large/wide attendance) and sponsorship : here are two keys for the future of the serie.
Old 15 May 2004, 15:24 (Ref:971758)   #16
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Dont forget it is known that the ACO have visited the manufacturers in Japan, so if there is some truth in this story then it could be a sweetener to one or more of those manufacturers coming in - if so then great.

Or am I putting 2 and 2 together and making 74
Old 15 May 2004, 15:55 (Ref:971770)   #17
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
It might be a good idea to have a race on each continent . Then everyone is the same in respect having at least one race close to home . It would probably bring in sponsors and local talent and that could be great for sportscars .
All the teams competing in a continental arena !!! That would be cool

Europe - Spa 1000kms
Asia - Malaysia or Dubai 1000kms
America - Sebring 12 hrs
Australia- Melbourne or Adelaide for example 1000kms
Africa - 1000 kms of Timbucktoo !!!

And the prize is a free entry into the next years LeMans 24 hours and whatever the takings are .

Opinions please ?

Last edited by The Badger; 15 May 2004 at 15:57.
Old 15 May 2004, 16:01 (Ref:971772)   #18
JAG
Veteran

England
Noooooooooo!!!!!!1

Keep the LMES in Europe, with a race in Asia.
Old 15 May 2004, 17:43 (Ref:971814)   #19
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know the ALMS and LMES are not officially affliated, but why is this working and the ELMS never took off?
(that was the European LeMans Series- a branch of ALMS for a more Eurocentric raceing and teams)
we have seen some ALMS team pop up over there so what is the deal here?
they all vie for LeMans victories and they share the same rules and many teams- are they not even nodding towards one another?
because Sebring and Petit would be spectacular events, or if they would join up for the RoadAmerica round maybe they can make this race a 12 hour race or 18 hours...
but dreaming aside.
Suzuka and fuji would be stunning addons, but what of the Shanghai circuit- i bet there'd be lots of money to get that race going...even if the track stinks...
Again dreaming, the classic tracks should be up first for expansion Spa, A-1 even Brno shows signs of being a very great circuit for all time so it should be considered I love it-but care must be taken lest this spirals too fast out of control and becomes the World LeMans Endurance Series,and collapses on itself in 2 years.
Old 15 May 2004, 17:47 (Ref:971817)   #20
The Badger
Veteran

There's not a problem with a world series providing that it is run well . Group C proved that ..... for years and was very successful . Brun Motorsport contested the IMSA , JS-PC , Group C and LeMans in the same years . Their cars were always full to the brim with sponsorship from local areas .

Last edited by The Badger; 15 May 2004 at 17:48.
Old 15 May 2004, 18:29 (Ref:971842)   #21
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is a way we could have 1 joint ALMS/LMES race, have a race at Spa, the circuit has facilties for up to 65 cars. Now whilst I realise thats still not quite enough, but at the moment the LMES will get IMO around 45 entries per race, and the ALMS around 30, thatd mean 5 cars would have to sit out the race, thats if the LMES does average 45, and not say 41 like the opening round did. The fairest way to do this would to be to draw the names from a hat.

But then IMO a much better idea would be to run the LMES alongside the FIA GT championship for 1 race, the Spa 24hrs, instead of having a seperate Spa 1000km, the LMES teams would still score points in their championship, and so would the FIA GT, perhaps make the LMES Spa 24hrs a double points race, both would remain seperate points wise for their championships. But the overall result could be mixed over the 24hrs, if that makes sense.
Old 15 May 2004, 19:56 (Ref:971874)   #22
The Badger
Veteran

Thats a cool idea saleen !!! Im thinking the same thing .
Old 16 May 2004, 00:35 (Ref:972028)   #23
GT-Eins
Veteran

Germany
Hannover, Germany
GT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I talked to Ratel regarding this issue,

He told me that they 1st want to establish the 4 existing and due to cost reduction issues (4000km race-distance compared to 5000 in the FIA-GT) they will stick to 4.

Except Silverstone (which could be canned for another british one) all venues are fixed for 2005.

Thinking about a 5th race would first require more than 50 entered Teams or so.
Old 16 May 2004, 02:31 (Ref:972051)   #24
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by GT-Eins
I talked to Ratel regarding this issue,

He told me that they 1st want to establish the 4 existing and due to cost reduction issues (4000km race-distance compared to 5000 in the FIA-GT) they will stick to 4.

Except Silverstone (which could be canned for another british one) all venues are fixed for 2005.

Thinking about a 5th race would first require more than 50 entered Teams or so.
Silverstone could be canned!

Well, Donnigton is going through a revamp due to Moto GP, and Brands Hatch is being re-developed. Any race in the UK would be good
Old 16 May 2004, 03:48 (Ref:972057)   #25
tblincoe
Veteran

can brands or donnington accomodate 40+ cars? also, silverstone's facilities must really suck because it seems as though nobody wants to be there, F1 or LMES...