Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 18 Jul 2004, 14:44 (Ref:1039618)   #1
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
P1 top speeds with new ACO rules and regulations???

Yesterday, I had read in an Enginnering Racing magizine that the new P1 cars should have higher top speeds with the new rules and regulations. At monza, the team Nasamax car was 9km/h faster than any other car down the straight. The team boss was interviwed and stated that they could have gotten the car to reach 360km/h down the straight if they wanted to due to the new ACO rules. What is your take on the top speeds of P1 cars from the new ACO rules?? I don't know mine?! Maybe the new P1 cars will have faster top speeds!?
Old 18 Jul 2004, 14:52 (Ref:1039621)   #2
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The new LMP1 cars have aorund 50-60BHP more power, but create a lot more drag, which should keep speeds in check.

The problem with the old cars is that they were very sensitive when air got under the car at a hump etc. and due to the large flat floor took off like the CLR etc.

The new cars have tunnels, which create significant downforce under the car, preventing the flipping problems.

Regarding the 360km top speed, I'm sure the 'old' LMP900 cars could also have gone much quicker at Monza as well, but you need the extra downforce to negociate the rest of the circuit. Same goes for LM. The R8s have never been the quickest in a straightline, but always quicker over a lap.

Last edited by JAG; 18 Jul 2004 at 14:57.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 16:06 (Ref:1039656)   #3
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Straight line speed is always good I think. Couple that with a downforce reduction and it should lead to laps times slower than before but with some impressive trap speeds which is good for the headlines...
Old 18 Jul 2004, 20:25 (Ref:1039811)   #4
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG

The new cars have tunnels, which create significant downforce under the car, preventing the flipping problems.
At similar ride height, the tunnels create more downforce than a flat floor, yes, but remmember that in adition to the tunnels the new cars have raised ride height. The reason why ACO did this is because they want less downforce (raised height) and center the downforce for less instability (tunnels instead of rear diffuser).
Old 18 Jul 2004, 20:29 (Ref:1039814)   #5
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Cadete
At similar ride height, the tunnels create more downforce than a flat floor, yes, but remmember that in adition to the tunnels the new cars have raised ride height. The reason why ACO did this is because they want less downforce (raised height) and center the downforce for less instability (tunnels instead of rear diffuser).
Spot on. Figure the new LMP1 cars have approaching 20% less downforce than LMP900. Sure they have tunnels, but as you mention, that is more about moving the center of pressure forward. They are so heavily regulated that they aren't as nearly effective as the tunnel cars of the GTP/Group C era. But I must say that so far the car's pace is impressive, so it bodes well. Speed is the point and I hated the prospects of the cars being gutted and having to build back up. Now we still have quick cars and the are safe too.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 20:34 (Ref:1039821)   #6
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MulsanneMike
Spot on. Figure the new LMP1 cars have approaching 20% less downforce than LMP900. Sure they have tunnels, but as you mention, that is more about moving the center of pressure forward. They are so heavily regulated that they aren't as nearly effective as the tunnel cars of the GTP/Group C era. But I must say that so far the car's pace is impressive, so it bodes well. Speed is the point and I hated the prospects of the cars being gutted and having to build back up. Now we still have quick cars and the are safe too.
I don't deserve the credit for that "Spot on", I read about it on your site and that's how I knew about it...
Old 18 Jul 2004, 22:46 (Ref:1039950)   #7
Garrett
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Garrett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I hope that the new P1 cars can achieve high speeds with the new ACO rules and that some manufacture can make their car look better than the Nasamax car. O, man is that car ulgy. Hopefully some one like Audi, Porsche, Nissan, or etc. can come in and make a car that will set the standards of what the future P1s will look like. Just pray that it's prettier than the Nasamax!!!
Old 18 Jul 2004, 23:33 (Ref:1039974)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Garrett
Well, I hope that the new P1 cars can achieve high speeds with the new ACO rules and that some manufacture can make their car look better than the Nasamax car. O, man is that car ulgy. Hopefully some one like Audi, Porsche, Nissan, or etc. can come in and make a car that will set the standards of what the future P1s will look like. Just pray that it's prettier than the Nasamax!!!
Seen the Luchinni yet.

Last edited by JAG; 18 Jul 2004 at 23:34.