Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 24 Jan 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1208565)   #1
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever happened to Winter Rallycross?

So why does no one want to come out and play in the winter these days?

I can't help thinking that the promoters were a bit half-hearted about this series. There were no updates on the Darlington club website, nothing on rallycrossuk.com, nothing on the Euro websites and nothing in Motoring News. Then (surprise, surprise!) there were very few entries!

January and February should be an ideal time of the year to promote rallycross. There is shed all else happening in Britain this time of year except a few minor rallies. Spectators are looking for somewhere to go and the motorsport press are looking for something to write about!

I know people are still car building but this didn't seem to stop us running successful Winter events a few years ago...

Last edited by leonidas; 24 Jan 2005 at 13:48.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1208581)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I guess it wasn't on rallycrossuk.com as that is the site for the BRDA/BTRDA championships - the winter series was organised by DDMC and therefore didn't get a mention.

In some ways winter is a great time to have a meeting as the potenial for coverage is good (there's nothing else going on so you've got the chance to grab plenty of space in MN). On the other hand people take the chance to rebuild the cars over the winter or they simply don't have the budget to compete all year round.

It's a shame the winter series failed this year, last year there were two, the Lydden rounds were great fun (even with the somewhat reduced visibility!), the top cars may not have been there but the racing was still great to watch (although I didn't envy the stock rod drivers with their lack of windscreens in that weather).
Old 24 Jan 2005, 17:29 (Ref:1208720)   #3
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@ leonidas

The only reason i can come it is the same reason i have, cars not ready and xmas is a bit more financially consuming for most people (hit with web hosting renewalls today eeekkk!!!)

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 24 Jan 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1208902)   #4
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just don't think there are enough competitors about to run big entry clubman meetings, and it is no longer viable to run meetings with under 40 drivers.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 23:07 (Ref:1209049)   #5
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire
sihorton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the answer to all this is...

IF the BTRDA / BRDA had given the drivers a bit more notice on the calender, then maybe people would have planned their events / budgets for the coming season.

Also

IF the BTRDA / BRDA had announced a decision about 1.6ltr 16v stock hatches, then people could have had new cars prepaired for the start of the season.

I was really looking forward to taking part in the winter series this year, but i suppose that this year will possibly be the last chance unless more interest is shown for next year.

It would be a big shame to see it slip away.

simon
Old 25 Jan 2005, 08:08 (Ref:1209256)   #6
Spectator
Racer

United Kingdom
East Sussex
Spectator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that all the uncertainty of what direction the sport is headed has led to the lack of entries. No one quite knows what to build to remain competetive for the next few seasons.
Although great fun the winter fixtures are at the best chilly and only really draw competitor's family and and friends as spectators.
I know at Lydden Christmas 2003 there were very few spectators and it was cold. Agree with BertMk2 didn't envy those stock rod drivers with no windscreens.

Last edited by Spectator; 25 Jan 2005 at 08:09.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1209379)   #7
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most of the winter series meetings are just for local championships, and a lot of people don't want to travel too far if there are no BTRDA points. Look at last years entry lists the best supported events were the ones in the BTRDA championship.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 16:23 (Ref:1209668)   #8
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The answer may be to run just a couple of winter events next year, advertise them early and make it clear from the start that both events will be part of the BTRDA championship. Perhaps just have one late January and one late February event?

And hold them somewhere warm!! Daytona perhaps!!! ;-)
Old 25 Jan 2005, 23:12 (Ref:1209973)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Think the winter series was only reall popular in a couple of areas anyway, Lydden used to get a decent turnout and sometimes up at Croft but driver numbers have dwindled to such a point that it is just not cost efefective anymore
Lol at comment about stock rod drivers without c=screens
You wanna try beling round a mile oval at Baarlo in Holland at 150 mph mate