Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 28 Oct 2005, 12:44 (Ref:1446024)   #1
E. Becclestone
Racer

E. Becclestone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now it's your turn....... - Marshals criticised in Radio Phone In

Prompted by the "Pit Wall / Fence" debate currently going on, we'll be running a dedicated feature on the Ten-Tenths Radio Show ("Something from the Weekend") this coming Monday, between 8-10pm.
This feature will touch on the pit-wall issue, and also offer the opportunity for expansion for all issues currently surrounding Marshalling.

To contact the studio, the email address is tenths@yoursportradio.com, and the telephone number (on-air times only) is +44 (0)207 753 3636.

You can listen to the programme via www.yoursportradio.com, or Sky Digital channel 907 (Globecast).

b1ackr0w will be the "Marshal's Marshal" , but it would be good if you guys can contribute something to "your" feature.....feel free to open up any marshalling-related topic, but when you call-in please keep it clean, and no "naming & shaming" for the obvious legal reasons.

So, if there's anything you want to discuss, anything that has gone badly, or well, possible improvements, announcements, future developments, recruitment drives, congratulations, gripes, moans, hoorah's etc........ now's your chance to tell the world.

Look forward to hearing from you all.
Old 28 Oct 2005, 21:05 (Ref:1446357)   #2
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Over a hundred views and nobody's up for it?!

C'mon guys (&girls), usually we can't shut you up
Old 28 Oct 2005, 22:49 (Ref:1446422)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Al,
Any idea's why I have been removed from this group?
I used to be able to view the radio forums etc, but no longer can.
Also, not had any info etc on the reporting stuff.
It's all gone a bit quiet!
Old 29 Oct 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1446969)   #4
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm. Having spoken to B1ackcr0w this afternoon, it appears I'm a suitable person to be included in this show .....

Mind you I'll have to be on early on because it's Halloween and it's my one night out of the year!
Old 31 Oct 2005, 21:57 (Ref:1448818)   #5
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top marks to everyone who put the marshal's case forward on the radio tonight, brilliant stuff!
Old 1 Nov 2005, 08:56 (Ref:1449125)   #6
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
If anyone wasn't listening in last night, I would recommend you get the podcast and have a listen to the marshals section.

Of particular interest is a caller who identified himself as a TVR Tuscan driver who claims that marshals are poorly trained, damage cars and contribute to driver injuries - specifically spinal ones - by poor incident handling. Incidentally, for our friends in black, he specifically mentioned Silverstone for this.

I would be interested in responses to that. Myself, Al and Sheila did our best to deal with him, but other views would also be appreciated. We can set up a right to reply section in another show if enough people are interested.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 09:23 (Ref:1449155)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Unfortunately I was unable to make the broadcast or to hear the rather spurious comments about marshals training. However, I would mention that UK marshals, through such clubs as BARC and BRSCC, are helping to train overseas marshals to the high standards under which we operate. If our training was that poor, surely we as a group wouldn't be invited to train others?

I rest my case.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 09:37 (Ref:1449165)   #8
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have already e-mailed the show! I did try to ring in, to put across a rescue bod's point of view, but couldn't get through. Just let me meet the guy, I'd shake him warmly by the neck!
Old 1 Nov 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1449305)   #9
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will also have to listen to the podcast...mother rang in the middle of the show and I missed the important bits.

If he's been telling stories about the silverstone marshals I am not impressed. I don't know if he's had a bad experience with marshals or what, but to include all marshals under the same brolly is bad.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1449338)   #10
2CV Racer
Racer

2CV Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin

Of particular interest is a caller who identified himself as a TVR Tuscan driver who claims that marshals are poorly trained, damage cars and contribute to driver injuries - specifically spinal ones - by poor incident handling.
Someone should give this guy a Punto Abarth ...... he'd fit right in with some of our friends in that class!!
Old 1 Nov 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1449395)   #11
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=EvilPumpkin]contribute to driver injuries - specifically spinal ones - QUOTE]

Be interesting if he had the b***s to back that up with hard facts.

I'm sure there are far more drivers WALKING around now due to the way in which any accident/incident was dealt with.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1449445)   #12
CsM
Rookie

England
Dereham, Norfolk
CsM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i am just looking at the podcasts and i can only c last weeks episode (24/10/05)
Old 1 Nov 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1449458)   #13
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This makes me ***king fuming. Doesnt the fool realise that doctors are usually on scene with rescue crew when extaction is taking place.

Sometimes cars are damaged further when they are snatched. It would help if some cars had towing eyes that were strong enough.

Where can I listen to the radio show? I should have something to contribute.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 16:17 (Ref:1449512)   #14
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
The link is in the website at the top of this thread.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1449534)   #15
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
It hasn't been uploaded yet - my bad, I thought it went up automatically - should be available shortly and I'll give instructions on how to get it as soon as it is.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 16:32 (Ref:1449536)   #16
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D
This makes me ***king fuming. Doesnt the fool realise that doctors are usually on scene with rescue crew when extaction is taking place.

Well he does now!
Old 1 Nov 2005, 16:43 (Ref:1449544)   #17
Gonfra
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

United Nations
International Man of Mystery
Gonfra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
It hasn't been uploaded yet - my bad, I thought it went up automatically - should be available shortly and I'll give instructions on how to get it as soon as it is.

Aha, so its not me then, am waiting to hear this one !
Old 1 Nov 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1449550)   #18
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
I get the feeling, that said caller called in for something else, and when asked for his view came up with the biggest load of tripe he could think of.

half of it wasn't even on topic - Promotion indeed!
Old 1 Nov 2005, 18:39 (Ref:1449638)   #19
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Knowing the caller I am not surprised that it wasn't all on topic.

I don't know if this guy has had a bad experience with marshals or what but its just not on.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 21:21 (Ref:1449808)   #20
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Regrettably I couldn't hear any of his comments from my end of the phone line which is a shame because I suspect the broomstick would have been brought into use

Having said that I believe EP gave him severe ear ache.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 08:22 (Ref:1450134)   #21
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Now let me get this straight, it was a TVR TUSCAN driver complaining about poor standards, damaging cars and contributing to drivers injuries...?

Pot, Kettle......
Old 2 Nov 2005, 09:16 (Ref:1450177)   #22
whatapalaver
Racer

England
Nottingham
whatapalaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few years ago at Donington I "met" TVR Tuscan (#50 I recall). Having just used another TVR as a brake going in to Redgate, and a further as a jack, before coming to rest at a Marshal's post. He had a long rant at those present about what he would do if we damaged his car!

Did not seem to notice the wheels were already pointing different ways and the plastic fairy was going to have a busy day...

The comment - shouldn't have given to us to play with surprisingly did not improve things!

I never felt the need to attend a TVR race again.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1450241)   #23
tazracer
Rookie

tazracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hi, Just to redress the balance slightly, I almost qualify as a Tuscan driver ( its a tuscan but only has a baby v8), and my views on Marshalls are slightly different !!!
I parked my tuscan in the gravel at Paddock Hill bend first time out in the season, and all the guys were very carefull about damaging my car, even with the pressures they were under to get things moving for the britcar race. Recently at Mallory another Driver Heavily crashed my Tasmin into the tyres at Gerrards, Dispite the car being heavily damaged they were at great pains to avoid further damage.

Not all Drivers think the same. every group of people has the odd Muppet!!!!

Keep up the good work

Graham

p.s.

I do like the plastic fairy line
Old 2 Nov 2005, 10:18 (Ref:1450255)   #24
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The thing is, is that if you damage a car even more it could make it dangerous to work with / be around. makes sense to treat it carefully even if it's a complete gonner!

I even attempt to give the bits which fall off back when I can!

although if a certain TVR tuscan loses something and I'm around - it's going to be my trophey for the day
Old 2 Nov 2005, 10:53 (Ref:1450279)   #25
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Nah not worth it. Just because one driver acts unprofessionally doesn't mean we have to follow suit.

For the record, as far as I can discern, the person in question doesn't race Tuscans in the UK - and I suspect he doesn't actually race at all from what I've been able to gather - so don't go blaming the TVR boys for one eejit!