Old 11 Jan 2006, 22:39 (Ref:1499551)   #1
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jerez Testing - Tyres

http://www.*****************/fotoweb/...216DFE9458F58A

Apologies if this has been already covered before. But are they intermediates in that photo or a special slick only used in testing? Why would they use inters in dry conditions?
Old 11 Jan 2006, 22:49 (Ref:1499561)   #2
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'm sure others will have better knowledge than me, but maybe collecting data to see how long they will last in dry condition, schumacher is a master of using inters in wet going dry conditions
Old 11 Jan 2006, 23:02 (Ref:1499572)   #3
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
humm... because it is considered winter in Jerez?
Old 11 Jan 2006, 23:33 (Ref:1499587)   #4
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
KevinS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or they are left over intermediates they use to clean up the track on the first day of testing, not to waste 'slicks'? (Would make sense unless it's a pic of today's testing)
Old 11 Jan 2006, 23:57 (Ref:1499594)   #5
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Maybe it was just a bit damp?

Quick Nick was working with Michelin on a tyre program today, and he was seen on inters... so yeah, it might just have been to test tyre lifespan in dry track conditions.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 18:03 (Ref:1500010)   #6
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I sense a Ferrari-FIA conspiracy!

Seriously, though, I would think it will be to do with checking the tyre performance in drying conditions.

I am assuming it must have been damp to a point, for going out on them in purely dry conditions would seem rather pointless.

I don't see the theories of using them to pick up crap from the track, for surely they would just create vast amounts of marbles? Just a thought, but maybe totally flawed.

Alternately, perhaps it was damp enough to call for intermediate tyres, therefore, without any added intentons, they attached intermediates because that is what the conditions called for.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 18:23 (Ref:1500026)   #7
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinS
Or they are left over intermediates they use to clean up the track on the first day of testing, not to waste 'slicks'? (Would make sense unless it's a pic of today's testing)
Yes it was a picture from that days testing, which as far as im aware was dry.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 18:41 (Ref:1500036)   #8
ScuderiaV8
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
ScuderiaV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's common practice for all the teams to use intermediate tyres on their first couple of shakedown laps of a test day, while they check the vehicle systems are working properly. There's probably an aspect of saving the dry-weather tyres as well. I'd guess that using the same set of tyres for the first few slow laps and then the planned testing programme would corrupt the data acquired.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 18:45 (Ref:1500039)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Now, using them for a couple of installation laps purely to avoid using new tyres for no reason - that makes total sense.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 22:12 (Ref:1500199)   #10
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Now, using them for a couple of installation laps purely to avoid using new tyres for no reason - that makes total sense.
If you couple it with the fact that the tyre suppliers would have all these inters left over from the season, as they would need to make them and they generally don't get used each weekend, and it makes sense.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 02:08 (Ref:1500306)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I was meaning it would make sense. I wasn't being sarcastic or anything.

Perhaps you were not responding on the basis of that interpretation, but that is the impression I get from your post.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 09:15 (Ref:1500380)   #12
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, I think so. In the past we saw drivers doing the same at their first installation lap during the pre-race warming-up.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 13:43 (Ref:1500492)   #13
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I once asked this in the past...it's just to save the dry tyres for new to worn tyre degradation data gathering when the cars right. (That's why red flag periods during these runs is so frustrating to teams doing long evaluation runs, mechanical failures are just bad luck but inexperienced drivers falling off the road get a bad name up and down the pit lane which 'marks their card') Old tyres, inters and sometimes even wets are used for installation laps
Old 13 Jan 2006, 17:13 (Ref:1500601)   #14
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mind you it was damp there this morning! But then 'dazbaz' pic ref was dated Wednesday.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 18:09 (Ref:1500640)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
Mind you it was damp there this morning! But then 'dazbaz' pic ref was dated Wednesday.
It seems that some of the Michelin teams are a little worried by Bridgestones pace.What d'ya think Rennen?

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=34834
Old 13 Jan 2006, 19:13 (Ref:1500687)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
That source seems to be Alonso speaking in a personal capacity, as opposed to reflecting the stance of any teams.....
Old 13 Jan 2006, 19:16 (Ref:1500689)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
That source seems to be Alonso speaking in a personal capacity, as opposed to reflecting the stance of any teams.....
If he's worried then they should be worried.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 19:23 (Ref:1500698)   #18
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Well, that inference is quite unrelated, :-).

Things are certainly up in the air this off-season.

I would be intersted to know what Mike has to say about it now, given his hostility to the switch at the time.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1500730)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Well, that inference is quite unrelated, :-).

Things are certainly up in the air this off-season.

I would be intersted to know what Mike has to say about it now, given his hostility to the switch at the time.
Mike as in 'Gasgoyne'?

Maybe even now he's thinking 'It's just us and Ferrari'.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 20:29 (Ref:1500740)   #20
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Close, as in "Gascoigne"; however, yes, that Mike.

I wonder, though, how much of this increasing hype over the Bridgeys is based on previous seasons' performances as opposed to anything specific to this off-season?

I mean it seems clear that the switch is better for Bridgestone than staying on long-life, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be significantly better than Mich.

Come the start of February, I would love some media outlet to get a decent comment from both tyre companies and all teams regarding the tyre situations. I am meaning in terms of where they are as compared to longlife, in the context of the programme itself, and where they reckon they are as compared to tyre-fellows and tyre-foes.

I feel I am dreaming, for this will very likely not happen to any adequate degree.....but would be very helpful for trying to gauge what will happen nexy year.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 15:51 (Ref:1501187)   #21
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Both tyre companies would probably be using up old stocks at the moment so anything could be on the cars at this early stage.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 15:53 (Ref:1501191)   #22
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
It seems that some of the Michelin teams are a little worried by Bridgestones pace.What d'ya think Rennen?

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=34834
Answer above...
Old 14 Jan 2006, 18:34 (Ref:1501258)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Answer above...
Thanks Rennen,that makes sense,after all it is only testing.

So maybe the Honda's are on last years tyres and the Ferrari's and Toyota's are on 2004 tyres......maybe.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 19:01 (Ref:1501265)   #24
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, thank you Rennen, bits of info like that are important, to get a proper perspective.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1501281)   #25
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Both tyre companies would probably be using up old stocks at the moment so anything could be on the cars at this early stage.
I don't think so. It's not just like the tyre manufactures have done nothing until now.