Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Mar 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1543899)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Rivals protest Ferrari's rear wing...

Apparently, the rival teams have expressed their unhappiness over the design of Ferrari's rear wing assembly, it has been declared legal by the FIA however...

I wonder if this is a similar story to when in 2001, Williams designed a "new philosophy" rear diffuser.
After Brazil (Interlagos), Ferrari complained, and Williams were forced to change it, not because it was against the rules, but because it was against the "spirit of the rules".
Is this a similar situation?

Story over at www.Autosport.com
Old 11 Mar 2006, 20:08 (Ref:1543912)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Bargeboards anyone?
Old 11 Mar 2006, 22:25 (Ref:1543975)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Heh heh, Indeed.

Ive been looking at photos from the quali today, and I really cannot see anything out of the ordinary, nothing obvious anyway.

Well, I guess we'll have to see if the other teams alter their wings accordingly within the next few weeks...?
Old 11 Mar 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1543980)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's it ! Now the season has really started ! Don't you just love the F1 soap opera ?
Old 11 Mar 2006, 22:42 (Ref:1543988)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Do you think KR is unhappy with the design of McLaren's rear wing? just thought I would ask.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 22:45 (Ref:1543990)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Probably not, seeing as it was his suspension that broke.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 22:59 (Ref:1544002)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy

Ohh allright then....Details
Old 11 Mar 2006, 23:01 (Ref:1544005)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hehehe...

Wasn't there a protest over various Ferrari bits and bobs after Imola 2002. They never seem to come to anything these protestations.

I say teams should just follow or innovate rather than try to get things banned.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 23:19 (Ref:1544020)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Hehehe...

Wasn't there a protest over various Ferrari bits and bobs after Imola 2002. They never seem to come to anything these protestations.

I say teams should just follow or innovate rather than try to get things banned.
Just get on with it I say..I don't recall what happened at Imola knowlesy?
Old 11 Mar 2006, 23:22 (Ref:1544021)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I'm not so sure there was a protest....I just seem to remember Williams complaining about aero devices on the Ferrari F2002. I think it was to do with the parts flexing/how much they moved around.

It's as if Ferraris cars are scrutinised more than any other!
Old 11 Mar 2006, 23:57 (Ref:1544030)   #11
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the cars look so radical I am sure there will be some stone throwing early on, especially if Ferrari emerges miles ahead...again..
Old 12 Mar 2006, 01:56 (Ref:1544066)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
It's the usual Mclaren Tech-speak.

Engine has electrical problem=Piston destroys ECU.

Car has handling problems=Rear wing collapses and destroys rear suspension.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 02:02 (Ref:1544068)   #13
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
In respect to Kimi/McLaren qualifying
Amazingly, the wheel tether stayed intact ...which was a refreshing change for me..
Old 12 Mar 2006, 02:08 (Ref:1544069)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsport
Amazingly, the wheel tether stayed intact ...which was a refreshing change for me..
I'm sure Mclaren will take great comfort in the fact that at least something worked correctly.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 02:50 (Ref:1544078)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
There are two schools of thought as regards the protest.Ferrari say that they should have a rear wing,all the other teams say that they shouldn't.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 03:48 (Ref:1544086)   #16
Tone
Racer

United Kingdom
Tone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsport
Think they doubled the tensile strength of the tethers last year..
Old 12 Mar 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1544879)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One thing that I noticed over the years is that whenever another team protests about something that Ferrari came up with that's seemingly illegal, nothing is being done about it and it's swept under the rug.

But when Ferrari protest about something from another team, the FIA seem to fall over themselves in an effort to quickly ban whatever Ferrari seem to protest..

It's a conspiracy I tells ya!!
Old 12 Mar 2006, 10:28 (Ref:1544986)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
Apparently, the rival teams have expressed their unhappiness over the design of Ferrari's rear wing assembly, it has been declared legal by the FIA however...
There is concern over it, but there hasn't actually been a protest.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 10:32 (Ref:1544988)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
There is concern over it, but there hasn't actually been a protest.
There has! I'm protesting

Quote:
"The FIA always checks every car to see if it is completely legal. They measure how flexible the wings are and if it is still within the book.

Pat Symonds told reporters in Bahrain: "I am not at all happy about it. It is very clear what you can or cannot do within the rules. There might be specific rules about specific parts, but there are also general rules and I know exactly what that Ferrari wing does. And that is not what I would expect it should do."
Old 12 Mar 2006, 14:02 (Ref:1545129)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
All that will happen is that the other teams will build wings that flex in the same way.......And then Ferrari will protest and they'll all get banned.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1545142)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
All that will happen is that the other teams will build wings that flex in the same way.......And then Ferrari will protest and they'll all get banned.
Judging from what Pat Symonds said, im guessing that only part of the wing is flexing and not the whole assembly from the mounting point.
So as a guess, I would say its the actual top wing element alone which is flexing under load.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 15:52 (Ref:1545221)   #22
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ferrari made a protest over another team (Renault or Honda) last year about wing flexing and it is "swept under the rug" too. And wasn't Renault one of the teams, together with BAR, Mclaren and Ferrari, who ran parts that flex like tissue in the wind.

In any case, the wings are subjected to safety checks and flexing test..and Ferrari passed that.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 16:20 (Ref:1545230)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
Ferrari made a protest over another team (Renault or Honda) last year about wing flexing and it is "swept under the rug" too. And wasn't Renault one of the teams, together with BAR, Mclaren and Ferrari, who ran parts that flex like tissue in the wind.

In any case, the wings are subjected to safety checks and flexing test..and Ferrari passed that.
Yep, it was the rear engine cover of last years Renault that was seen to be flexing quite a fair bit. However, considering the teams have the most to gain from having the rear wing flex, (as it causes what, maybe 40%-50% of the cars overall drag?) I guess this has stirred a few bad vibes.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1545290)   #24
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Renault will stop protesting, now that Ferrari haven't been 1-2 in the race...

That Imola 2002 story... Patrick Head was complaining and Charlie Whiting showed him some parts of the Williams were moving more than the Ferrari parts Head was complaining about...

Pat Symonds once said that before "if someone came up with a good design other would be like 'well done, I wish I'd thought of that' but now everyone thinks you're cheating".
Old 12 Mar 2006, 17:40 (Ref:1545300)   #25
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
One thing that I noticed over the years is that whenever another team protests about something that Ferrari came up with that's seemingly illegal, nothing is being done about it and it's swept under the rug.

But when Ferrari protest about something from another team, the FIA seem to fall over themselves in an effort to quickly ban whatever Ferrari seem to protest..
Its because when Ferrari wins people tend to assumer the worst and when someone else cheats they blame Ferrri for whining