Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 27 Apr 2001, 06:32 (Ref:85645)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I know this is a dumb question considering where I am posting this, but please bear in mind I have the mechanical knowledge of a monkey - Well, I will have when I finish reading a few more tech books.

The question I'd like an answer too (in plain english if possible), is what are the differences between a CART car and a F1 car. I'm aware of a few of the major things, weight, Turbo's, tyres etc. But what I'm really confused about after watching the last CART race, is why does it seem easier for a driver in CART to pass another car when compared to F1.

Is it the Turbo or the "go fast" button, or Aerodynamics. To the Laymen, the cars roughly look the same, so what is it. Most people in the F1 forum say its because of the wings and the tyres. Is it as simple as that?

Thanking you in anticipation

Wrex

BTW, I was going to post this in the F1 forum, but figured the answer would get clogged up with rubbish posts like my thread about F1 fuel stops.
Old 27 Apr 2001, 13:40 (Ref:85787)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the single biggest chassis difference between CART and F1 comes from the methoid that both use to make downforce.

The CART machines use the undertray shape to generate the majority of their downforce. The wings are used as tuning devices to enhance turn in or rear traction. This venturi effect allows the engineers a much larger window of opputunity in finding a good setup and allows softer ride than F1. This also allows the CART machine to operate with a larger pitch angle, the angle of the chassis to the track surface.

Formula 1 chassis are mandated on the shape of the undertray. They are not allowed to use but a small section of the undertray for this purpose. The wings then become less of a tuning aid and more of a downforce creator. This makes the window of oppurtunity much smaller in locating the right setup. The F1 chassis is very pitch sensitive as well. When the chassis changes angle under braking or turn in the resulting loss of downforce is much more than in CART.

Hope this helps. Also, check out www.howstuffworks.com for more in depth on CART cars.
Never forget #99