Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 15 Jul 2011, 03:54 (Ref:2926909)   #1
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Drink A first-timers look back

I FINALLY got my race recap post up and ready for your reading enjoyment:

http://robertblanshard.wordpress.com/

And for your viewing pleasure, may I present my best Le Mans photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8907164...36543065/show/

I'm heading to Petit Le Mans in October, and I'll start making my Le Mans return travel plans when I get back.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 09:24 (Ref:2926981)   #2
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great read Robert.

It was my first time too but I had the benefit of a few days beforehand to get my bearings of the place. It's awe inspiring enough without arriving on race day. We got lost a few times so sounds like you did really well.

If you didn't already, next year get a pocket radio and tune into Radio Le Mans as that will help keep you going in the night. Looks like we will both be back next year.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 12:52 (Ref:2927063)   #3
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great post and excellent pictures Robert. I might have missed it somewhere but would you mind telling me what camera and lenses you used.

Thank you!
Old 15 Jul 2011, 14:33 (Ref:2927108)   #4
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Porman-

Thanks. I used a Nikon D3100 that came with a 18-55MM lens. I added a 55-300MM lens that I shot most of my pictures with. I thought I knew what I was doing, but of the 700+ photos I shot, only about 100 were worth a damn. I guess I'll just have to keep practicing and hopefully I'll be better next year.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 16:29 (Ref:2927130)   #5
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
Very nice Story . Was a pleasure for me to meet you . When you go out of the Automatic Program on your Camera , it is normal that you have a lot of Rubbish . Just busy with my Pictures , hope that I can posted it on Sunday .
Old 15 Jul 2011, 18:39 (Ref:2927169)   #6
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Nice job Robert - One minor correction though - Sir Stirling wasn't in the Porsche - he retired from racing after the first practice session - End of a long era!

GG
Old 15 Jul 2011, 18:43 (Ref:2927173)   #7
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Excellent post Robert and nice pictures. It was a real pleasure to meet you.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 19:22 (Ref:2927183)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Really excellent recap Robert, and more than a few very good photos indeed!

I can't believe that 6 weeks ago I was rejoicing in having finished work in the knowledge that on Monday I would be off to France..... Seems like an age ago.

Once again, it was great to meet you and we'll enjoy welcoming you back again in '12......
Old 17 Jul 2011, 06:26 (Ref:2927590)   #9
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been looking forward to this - great read Robert, many thanks for sharing with us!
Old 17 Jul 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2927837)   #10
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
Thanks guys, I really enjoyed writing and re-writing it.

GG - I did not know Stirling wasn't in the car. I thought I read he did a lap or two and called it quits, just didn't know it was after practice.

I've been watching my recording of the 24 hours as I wrote my recap. Watching and writing was filled with catharsis - I relived many emotions I felt at that point in the race that I was watching.

Next year is my 40th birthday and I was planning on driving the Nordschleife - but after what I experienced at Le Mans, there's no way I miss next years' race. I may not make Ayse's 347 races in a row, but I'll make it two in a row!
Old 18 Jul 2011, 13:41 (Ref:2928106)   #11
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanshard View Post

Next year is my 40th birthday and I was planning on driving the Nordschleife - but after what I experienced at Le Mans, there's no way I miss next years' race. I may not make Ayse's 347 races in a row, but I'll make it two in a row!
Whippersnapper!

There's actually no reason why you shouldn't do both - A fast train from Paris and an arrangement with one of the 'Ring rental' places should do it! An amazing place - If and when you do go make sure you take the time to have a good look around.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 14:00 (Ref:2928109)   #12
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=rblanshard;2927108]Porman-
Thanks. I used a Nikon D3100 that came with a 18-55MM lens. I added a 55-300MM lens that I shot most of my pictures with.

Thank you for the information. The 3100 uses the DX lenses right? I was under the impression that the 55-300MM lens wasn't quick enough for this type of shooting with its f/4.5-5.6 not letting in enough light. If this is indeed the lens you used I guess you proved that theory wrong. I use a prime DX lens with f/1.8 that does a pretty good job but have been on the fence about a zoom like the one you used.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 15:19 (Ref:2928130)   #13
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I FINALLY got my race recap post up and ready for your reading enjoyment:

http://robertblanshard.wordpress.com/

And for your viewing pleasure, may I present my best Le Mans photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8907164...36543065/show/

I'm heading to Petit Le Mans in October, and I'll start making my Le Mans return travel plans when I get back.
Excellent review, you really described well the place I love so much.

The bad news is for you, you seem to have caught the Le Mans bug. One trip is enough to make you addicted for life

Really hope to be able to make it next year, and hopefully, meet up with you all.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 16:44 (Ref:2928165)   #14
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Whippersnapper!

There's actually no reason why you shouldn't do both - A fast train from Paris and an arrangement with one of the 'Ring rental' places should do it! An amazing place - If and when you do go make sure you take the time to have a good look around.
Now you've gone and done it. You've just given me the task of expanding my trip for next year. And you know what....it's a damn good idea. Why do I visit this site!

Porman, check your PM.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 17:45 (Ref:2928190)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
[QUOTE=porman;2928109]
Quote:
Porman-
Thanks. I used a Nikon D3100 that came with a 18-55MM lens. I added a 55-300MM lens that I shot most of my pictures with.

Thank you for the information. The 3100 uses the DX lenses right? I was under the impression that the 55-300MM lens wasn't quick enough for this type of shooting with its f/4.5-5.6 not letting in enough light. If this is indeed the lens you used I guess you proved that theory wrong. I use a prime DX lens with f/1.8 that does a pretty good job but have been on the fence about a zoom like the one you used.

I've been using 75-300 or 100-300 lenses for over 20 years with that sort of maximum aperture and they're fine. Of course, now we have digital we can take a dozen shots instead of one so you can maximise you chances. There are also a lot of laps in 10 hours of practice and 24 hours of the race to shoot the same cars over and over again!
Old 18 Jul 2011, 19:24 (Ref:2928221)   #16
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
Quick question: could you guys see my Ferrari Challenge video and the race start video embedded in the blog?

I just got a note from a buddy of mine saying he couldn't see the videos.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 19:32 (Ref:2928227)   #17
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
Ferrari Challenge Video is not Working for me . Race Start Video is working .
Old 18 Jul 2011, 19:58 (Ref:2928238)   #18
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
I think I have it all sorted out. Thanks!
Old 18 Jul 2011, 21:04 (Ref:2928268)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep, both working fine
Old 18 Jul 2011, 22:22 (Ref:2928307)   #20
porman
Veteran

[QUOTE=Aysedasi;2928190]
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post

I've been using 75-300 or 100-300 lenses for over 20 years with that sort of maximum aperture and they're fine. Of course, now we have digital we can take a dozen shots instead of one so you can maximise you chances. There are also a lot of laps in 10 hours of practice and 24 hours of the race to shoot the same cars over and over again!

How can I ignore a seasoned veteran such as yourself. Between the two of you it looks like I should be fine. You have gone a long way to easing my apprehensions.

What a great community!
Old 19 Jul 2011, 15:53 (Ref:2928616)   #21
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Great read - I am sure you have realised this but next time make sure you spend more time in LM. I would advise not being part of a formal trip. Book a flight to Paris, then get a car or catch a train and spend a few days at the track - the race is the final part of a week of fun and activity. Alternatively get a flight to London and hook up with one of the groups going from here.

This year we had a couple join us from Utah and one from Shanghai.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2929516)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Mal's right Robert. For 24 years I travelled over on Thursday evening or Friday morning. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that I got to the circuit for the first time on the Friday! I enjoyed those years, of course, but the last two years in company with James for the whole week has been a revelation. A fantastic experience.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 15:15 (Ref:2932135)   #23
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I always did my own thing at Le mans . Partly cuz I used to work all over Europe and always made my way from wherever I was at that time .

Now ..... I normally arrive the Sunday before the race , hotel for the night , camp until the following Monday morning and then head into Le mans for a hotel and a good feed .... at the local Vietnamese , a good hot shower and a comfy crap , followed by a monster sleep .

Then its home again on Tuesday morning and back to reality .

I love it .

Your writeup is a class act my friend ..... but as Mal and Ayse said ..... try to spend some more time there , It is a wonderful place , with a very special feeling .

Stroll through the old town , chat with the locals ..... I even met baby spice there and went clubbing with her and her friends , she was sweet !!! ...... Did Karyoke with George Fouche , he and his manager didnt even buy a pint ..... lol ..... Had a horrendously big session with John Mangoletsi and his entourage ..... emmm , and I forget the rest !!!
Old 29 Jul 2011, 12:14 (Ref:2932576)   #24
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
A good hot shower and a monster crap, followed by a comfy sleep.
FIXED!

Have to agree with Badger though. It is a special place.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2933042)   #25
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Sorry Robert but have been absent fron the forum for a couple of weeks but just seen you story and enjoyed it, it was great to meet you on the saturday and expect to see you again next year now you have caught the bug just like i did 27 years ago. I tend to arrive on wednesday and camp in the same place each year leaving on Sunday after the race, I am a creature of habit now, would like to join Andrew and james and arrive the weekend before but with the classic next year aswell I might leave that for a few year as I can't afford to use to much of my annual Holiday.
Again it was a pleasure to meet you.