Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Jun 2002, 13:28 (Ref:316100)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Le Mans Classic - September 21-22.

Simple question - who's going?

It seems crazy to miss out on what might prove to be an entertaining top-up dose of La Sarthe before the summer's dead.

The ACO is not the sole organiser, so some things are still up in the air - such as which campsites will be operating - but the basic plan is for several races for different eras of cars, all of about 2 hours duration, but races will be run throughout the 24 hours.

The cars will compete in classes stretching from the 1920s to the late 1970s. Quite apart from the chance that some of my beloved Bentleys will be out, could this mean that I might get to see a Porsche 936 racing in anger again? That would be something very special.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 14:03 (Ref:316119)   #2
Stoffer Green
Rookie

Stoffer Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim, I hope to be there with Ayse and Fab (Fab,it was delightful to meet you at Arnage on Sunday and I'm glad you found the yellow Ferrari.)
Our "arrangements" are a bit undecided at the moment but the intention is strong!
It should be a brilliant week-end for all of us who are interested in Classic/Historic sports cars, and in several ways should be better than last week-end. At least Ayse and I will not to be in that b****y awful Southampton Football Club bus. Got to be a bit careful here, as Ayse may be on it again next year!
Old 18 Jun 2002, 14:41 (Ref:316145)   #3
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoffer Green
At least Ayse and I will not to be in that b****y awful Southampton Football Club bus
You mean, kind of... that one ?

I found it very "classy"... well, I didn't try the air cond, to speak frankly...

Last edited by Fab; 18 Jun 2002 at 14:50.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 14:43 (Ref:316147)   #4
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I and some associates will hopefully be there. Does anyone know what the ticket prices are going to be like? Is there going to be any practice sessions in the preceding week or is it straight into the racing on the weekend?

Hopefully I'll be making the journey in my new MINI
Old 18 Jun 2002, 14:48 (Ref:316150)   #5
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Stoffer Green
Tim, I hope to be there with Ayse and Fab (Fab,it was delightful to meet you at Arnage on Sunday and I'm glad you found the yellow Ferrari.)
I hope you will be there too !

Stoffer, what a pleasure to meet new friend sharing the same passion, and meeting you at least at Arnage this glorious sunny morning ! ... well, we'll have plenty of time to discuss that thing in September, now I'm sure of it !

Everything's already planned... or almost !

Last edited by Fab; 18 Jun 2002 at 14:49.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 14:52 (Ref:316155)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Humpage
Does anyone know what the ticket prices are going to be like? Is there going to be any practice sessions in the preceding week or is it straight into the racing on the weekend?
Guy, if I can remember the liflet, it seems to be between 20 and 30 €, grandstands free and ACO one reserved for "sociétaires"...

And the qualifications seems to be in the morning...

Less crowd, will be easy to meet up !
Old 18 Jun 2002, 18:55 (Ref:316342)   #7
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumour I heard over the weekend was that this meeting will not use the full circuit. Instead will run on the Bugatti Circuit. Is this true?
Old 18 Jun 2002, 19:11 (Ref:316363)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I asked this question but apparently it's on the full circuit. We'll see.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 19:21 (Ref:316378)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just found the website:

www.lemansclassic.com

Note that they specifically state that the decision to use the full 24-hour circuit was taken over three years of deliberation. I think they're planning to use it!

The Circuit Le Mans Bugatti seems to have been earmarked for a huge club display area. Perhaps that's the source of that particular rumour.

Also I see that the cutoff date for eligible cars is 1975. I suppose this is to remove all the potentially class-swamping 935K3s and Ferrari 512BBLMs. Pity - it's years since I've seen those in action. But it does mean perhaps more than a handful of those raucous Matra MS630/670s will be tempted out.
Old 19 Jun 2002, 05:28 (Ref:316684)   #10
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Scillitoe
Rumour I heard over the weekend was that this meeting will not use the full circuit. Instead will run on the Bugatti Circuit. Is this true?
Confirm by the co-organiser (ACO) : the "big one"
Old 19 Jun 2002, 06:46 (Ref:316700)   #11
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the whole point of the meeting was to use the full circuit!

I certainly hope to be there, but personal circumstances (i.e. work) may interfere.

FG
Old 19 Jun 2002, 08:35 (Ref:316743)   #12
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for the link to lemansclassic.com, it looks like it might be worth going along for the Friday as well.
Old 19 Jun 2002, 16:46 (Ref:317018)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, as Stoffer says, I'm hoping to be there too. (I must admit, I had some palpitations when Peter mentioned using the Bugatti circuit. How could you label the event "Classic" and invite all of the wonderful cars that are still out and about and then run it on the Bugatti?
Old 20 Jun 2002, 23:07 (Ref:317925)   #14
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Me!! I hope to be able to take our Hurricane kit car for only it's second visit to the area.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 15:58 (Ref:322929)   #15
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Did you go to :
http://www.lemansclassic.com
Looks very "luxuous" !

Have a look at the entry list : it's definitely worst it !
Old 27 Jun 2002, 16:21 (Ref:322939)   #16
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are entrys now closed? looks like alot of 'classics' are missing, no 512's, Matras, etc or perhaps I missed them.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 16:48 (Ref:322945)   #17
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lawrence STROLL CDN FERRARI 512 M 1970

But I can't spot a Matra. That's odd isn't it, what with the display at this year's race (which I missed ).

FG

Last edited by FG1; 27 Jun 2002 at 16:50.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 16:53 (Ref:322947)   #18
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
I think it's early days yet. Ten days ago, that part of the site wasn't even active.

Did you notice Rahal, Bobby - entering Porsche 917....
Old 27 Jun 2002, 17:16 (Ref:322954)   #19
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Rahal is co-driving the 917 with Brian Redman.
Old 27 Jun 2002, 21:13 (Ref:323090)   #20
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All I'm getting is "Erreur 404"
Old 28 Jun 2002, 05:20 (Ref:323309)   #21
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

I don't think there's still a Matra in condition to race in France, except in the Museum (and is it in condition to race ? I dunno... it rolled two years ago to open before the race, but slowly...).

The Redman/Rahal 917 will be the great attraction here...

And lots of things too, indeed !

Nordic, I don't think entries are closed...

Bluebottle : keep on trying today, it seems to work...
Old 28 Jun 2002, 07:06 (Ref:323343)   #22
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Whose was the MS650 which ran in the Tour de France Auto in about 1995/6?
Old 28 Jun 2002, 13:46 (Ref:323610)   #23
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
Whose was the MS650 which ran in the Tour de France Auto in about 1995/6?
I didn't know that a Ms650 ran the Tour de France Auto. Not very street legal !

Last edited by Fab; 28 Jun 2002 at 13:47.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 14:59 (Ref:323687)   #24
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike Knight used to run a Matra at historic race. I seem to recall it had a DFV for a while.
I am suprised none has so far entered, but it is early days yet I guess.

Last edited by Nordic; 28 Jun 2002 at 15:02.
Old 28 Jun 2002, 15:24 (Ref:323705)   #25
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Mike Knight used to run a Matra at historic race. I seem to recall it had a DFV for a while.
I am suprised none has so far entered, but it is early days yet I guess.
In the chapter "increase the frog skill level", can you explain what is a DFV ?

Last edited by Fab; 28 Jun 2002 at 15:25.