Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Mar 2003, 16:56 (Ref:530273)   #1
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Allen

Now that the Aussie GP is over and after ITV didn't really do a bad job, one point still remains though, is James Allen really the right person to have in the commentary box to compliment Martin Brundle's expert position?

After all, he did have big loafers to fill whem Murray retired, but even then he only seems to prentend to get excitied, perhaps someone like Charlie Cox could do a better job-as he's a better commentator:

Your Thoughts?
Old 9 Mar 2003, 17:00 (Ref:530278)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I feel that it should be Ben Edwards. IMO there is no question of this.

Another alternative would be no-one and just silence instead.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 17:04 (Ref:530288)   #3
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martin on his own would be great...
Old 9 Mar 2003, 17:10 (Ref:530297)   #4
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get Ben Edwards in there. He was stunning all last season alongside Wattie on F1 digital +
Old 9 Mar 2003, 17:11 (Ref:530302)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought he was slightly better than last year, not so many 'when I had dinner with' anecdotes and name dropping as usual. Still over hyping the action though, I feel.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 17:13 (Ref:530303)   #6
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The whole F1D+ coverage last year was far superior to what we had to put up with this weekend. I wonder whether more people would have been willing to put their hands in their pockets this year?
Old 9 Mar 2003, 17:37 (Ref:530334)   #7
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring back Murray!
Old 9 Mar 2003, 18:23 (Ref:530386)   #8
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
James is ok - maybe even good (when comparing against Carlton Kirby to name but one): when there's something exciting happening. Hence today, no real complaints.
However, the talent is to make a drama out of a boring race - and very few commentators - Ben Edwards and Martin Haven amongst them - can do this.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 19:33 (Ref:530460)   #9
Piquet
Racer

Piquet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: James Allen

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthopps
perhaps someone like Charlie Cox could do a better job-as he's a better commentator:
No, no, no ...anyone but Charlie Cox - how about Nigel Mansel !!

Last edited by Piquet; 9 Mar 2003 at 19:33.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 19:36 (Ref:530468)   #10
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought he was bloody awful. He seems to have a complete lack of understanding of what's happening and no confidence in his own opinions anyway. Every comment is either begun or ended with 'do you think?' or 'isn't it?' or similar. And he gets excited at the wrong time too!
Old 9 Mar 2003, 20:36 (Ref:530555)   #11
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think his actual commentating is that bad, but the thing that gets me is I feel he's dumbing everything down a little too much.

Ok, so they have to explain things for the casual observer who has no other interest in motorsport, but just something to watch on a Sunday afternoon.

But sometimes he sounds a bit patronising like we're all idiots.

It may just be me, but that's the sort of way I interpret it.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 22:06 (Ref:530660)   #12
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Martin is the classic back up man, like Hunt was, not great as a stand alone commentator, but good at what he does. As for James Allen, he tends to be half asleep sometimes, like when Shumi pitted when we were onboard with Raikkonen, and he kept on about some really pointless **** and completely ignored a key event unfolding
Old 9 Mar 2003, 22:10 (Ref:530666)   #13
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another thing was in the qualifying after Minardi had pulled their little 'stunt' he kept prattling on about it and didn't commentate hardly anything on the following two cars.

Just leave it for the post-qualifying studio debate.
Old 9 Mar 2003, 23:03 (Ref:530732)   #14
jiminee
Racer

jiminee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You guys are lucky, watching channel 10 here in Australia we had to put up with Neil Crompton and Bill Woods, Neil is usually alright and Bill is always woeful but at times I was not sure they were watching the same race as I was. eg It did not occur to them for a second that Kimi might be on a one stopper, it was terrible.
I cant believe I am saying this but please please give us Martin and James for Malaysia and beyond.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 03:31 (Ref:530891)   #15
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was actaully amazed at how Neil and Bill did!!!
Yeah bill is ho hum ok but neil did a better job than martin brudle usually does on the technical stuff!!!
AWSOME!!Tons of inside info,Lots of insights of what the driver is feeling right now,etc(neil races touring cars),quite ok calling strategy(but as jim says,sometimes they didn't get it)
Sure it didn't feel life f1 normally does(miss martin's voice)

IMO you brits can keep JA and let him host sesame street.Give us martin,neil crompton and those two jokers who used(?)to host superbikes!!!
Old 10 Mar 2003, 04:32 (Ref:530917)   #16
nunga
Rookie

nunga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about we send Neil over to the races to work with ITV so we get ITV's coverage plus Martin's Grid Walk and the best of the 2 commentators?

Or why not give Murray a deal he can not refuse?
Old 10 Mar 2003, 05:17 (Ref:530933)   #17
zonda
Rookie

zonda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree,
the two english blokes who did the World Super bikes where awesome, all i have to say is "Foggeeeeeeeeeeee"
I heard rumours they split due to a disagreement between the two. Any one wish to confirm ?

dave
Old 10 Mar 2003, 09:04 (Ref:531047)   #18
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only one who I really rate is Martin B. On the grid walk it looks like people are hovering hoping for him to ask their opinion, unless they have alreday been lined up for a word.

Either way, he has the racing teams and fans respect, as did Murray. It's hard to generate that if you haven't got it - and some mentioned above don't.

I'd still give alot for a real character on the ITV team alonsgide MB.

Let MB do the technical stuff and stick Clarkson in for the great quotes that Murray used to do. I'd have loved to have heard Clarkson when the Ferrari fell to bits...

"We'll that's what you get if you buy a cheap and nasty car with poor upholdstry and a naff radio.!
Old 10 Mar 2003, 09:10 (Ref:531054)   #19
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon the aussie dudes were better than Allen. When Allen talks I hate him. I hate when he doesnt talk. I hate him.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 09:52 (Ref:531084)   #20
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"SCHUMACHER HAS CROSSED THE YELLOW LINE!!!!.....oh no, sorry he hasn't"

nuff said.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 11:47 (Ref:531196)   #21
GroupBRally
Rookie

GroupBRally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh I agree....send Neil Crompton over to ITV, cause I'd prefer James and Martin anyday. Bill Woods does not have a clue, and Neil just does not shut up!! I could not believe how much dribble was pouring out of Neil's mouth during the race. At times I just want to hear a bit of silence from the commentators, and listen to the cars.....rather than Neil **** on about a whole heap of technical garbage that has no relevance to how the race is panning out. At times, Neil was so consumed in rattling off his technical knowledge, that he missed a number of critical incidents during the race...or only realised many seconds after they occured.
Old 10 Mar 2003, 11:52 (Ref:531200)   #22
nicker less
Racer

Seychelles
nicker less should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Murray in the box he used to get excited when anything happen.
Example with the Heidfeld/RS accident, Murray would have been going mental! Allen just well, didn't say much.
And last year pile-up he was struggling for words and Brundle had to take over!

He's useless! Get Ben Edwards in the box. He can shout when he wants to!
Old 10 Mar 2003, 12:16 (Ref:531239)   #23
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oooooooohhhhh yeah get clarkson in there he would be brillient!!! would add a bit of comedy and sarcasm to the boring races!!!! MAKE IT HAPPEN ITV!
Old 10 Mar 2003, 12:19 (Ref:531242)   #24
TTT

Ben Edwards would be much better than James Allen, but Perry McArthy would get my vote for his entertainment value.

Old 10 Mar 2003, 12:21 (Ref:531243)   #25
nicker less
Racer

Seychelles
nicker less should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I like Clarkson and his humor, it would be insane to put him along side MB.

As we all know, Clarkson likes to vent his opinion. And I think he may go to far and land himself in hot water with a few people.

To much - "Look! What is that idiot doing..!"

Even though it would be a nice refreeshing break to have his commentate on a couple of races!

Last edited by nicker less; 10 Mar 2003 at 12:22.