Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 28 Apr 2004, 21:49 (Ref:955119)   #26
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sound them out phoenetically, Testure....

We're jest a cup-uh-luh Good ol boys...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 28 Apr 2004, 23:49 (Ref:955257)   #27
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me too. I'm just a-sittin' on a tree stump outchere in the north woods sippin' on a Nehi and chewin' a toothpick and hopin' The Great Pook doesn't catch me a-takin' my coon dog inta town and a-turnin' on the black-and-white nine-inch Motorola at Ol' Sam's Jinneral Store to watch a Champ Car race cuz I ain't 'spoesta cuz I ain't 'phisticated 'nuf.
Old 28 Apr 2004, 23:59 (Ref:955262)   #28
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whose that boy castoneeevees, can't come close to pronoucin that som *****es name. hes just on o'them dam ferneers anyway.

If it ain't Earnhardt, Toby Keith, six pack of Bud or skoal mint I really don't give a dam anyway.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 00:08 (Ref:955265)   #29
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by indycool
Me too. I'm just a-sittin' on a tree stump outchere in the north woods sippin' on a Nehi and chewin' a toothpick and hopin' The Great Pook doesn't catch me a-takin' my coon dog inta town and a-turnin' on the black-and-white nine-inch Motorola at Ol' Sam's Jinneral Store to watch a Champ Car race cuz I ain't 'spoesta cuz I ain't 'phisticated 'nuf.
Hey Tim, now I know how you felt, because the Schlitz just went through my nose! Oh thats good Indy!

Better stick with IndyCars there Indycool, there real simple like. Even we can understand them, you know, kind a dumbed down and all. Wouldn't want to look foolish trying to understand them there sophisticated Champ Cars. I hear there a hoot!

Danica Patrick
Old 29 Apr 2004, 00:36 (Ref:955271)   #30
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Wellll gollllleeee! I wuz jus sittin here scratchin my particulars an readin this here thread when I thunk: I like beer n' stuff tew!

I shure nuff am fixin though to watch them sporty car boys drive em little bitty cars turnin right and left.

Wonder how they'd dew with them ol boys at tallydega?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 00:42 (Ref:955275)   #31
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Mah Gwad, y'all are funnier than mah coon dawg in heat.
Y'all think maybe Pookie would luv to pull upa chair and join us on our couch on thar yonder front porch and have a brewski?

(Mon Dieu, it's hard work trying to sound and spell in an unsophisticated manner. I give up....I'm going back to "Doctor Zhivago" on TCM )

Night, Mama. Night,John-Boy. Night,Jim-Bob. Night,June-Bug.Night,Billy Bob. Night,Bobbie Sue......

Last edited by MLM; 29 Apr 2004 at 00:44.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 00:46 (Ref:955277)   #32
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Wahl I a ponderin invitin Mr Pookie over for a right friendly chat 'bout how my mama told me yew shuld never judge someone without gettin to know 'im first. Now just like my cousin Louella and my cousin Buddy. They din lik each udder a bit when they firs met but now they're hitched theyre inseperabull! Why jus the other nigh they wuz so close together...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 00:50 (Ref:955278)   #33
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Seriously, even those of us living here in Dogpatch like our racing close and clean. I don't think I am "better" because I prefer this series over that series.

I do think both OWRS and IRL could use "freshened up" through some judicious rules changes. OWRS in particular needs multiple engine manufacturers and the Lola or nothing chassis situation needs help.

And by the way, it was interesting to read a discussion of the quotes rather than seeing posters get eviscerated simply for mentioning what TG or Pook may have said. Thanks for being civil!
Old 29 Apr 2004, 01:02 (Ref:955289)   #34
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do y'all mean, JohnSSC, cars turnin right and left, what in tarnation!? Neva seen such a thing in all my life! Sounds abit, well, you know, complicated and all. Ahm just a simple man really. Kind-a-unsophisticated.

I don't know much bout that Pook fella, MLM, he sounds kinda uppity and stuff, like a big city feller. I'm thinkin, maybe a bottle of wine would impress him, alittle Boones Farm, or maybe Ripple(my girl likes that one!)and some cheese to, gotter be Kraft Singles though!

Hey Rush 1, that boy Castroneevees sure do talk funny, don't he!?

Danica Patrick
Old 29 Apr 2004, 01:08 (Ref:955294)   #35
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Well son now shurely you know that at times a man hasta turn right 'specially if he is gittin away from them federales.

Why if that Pook person wuz here I would show him that us great unwashed, non photo jurnalists is plenty able to en joy a gud race amongst them funny toy furrin cars.

I am thinkin that Castroneeeveees ain't frum around here these parts, iz ee?
Old 29 Apr 2004, 01:13 (Ref:955296)   #36
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
Seriously, even those of us living here in Dogpatch like our racing close and clean. I don't think I am "better" because I prefer this series over that series.

I do think both OWRS and IRL could use "freshened up" through some judicious rules changes. OWRS in particular needs multiple engine manufacturers and the Lola or nothing chassis situation needs help.

And by the way, it was interesting to read a discussion of the quotes rather than seeing posters get eviscerated simply for mentioning what TG or Pook may have said. Thanks for being civil!
I guess I'll get serious to.

Comments like Pooks do nothing to attract new fans, and they just tend to alienate people. As you can see by these posts, his comment was taken as an insult, and that any fan of the IRL, or any other series for that matter, is not wanted over there, and thats not right. Thats no way to build a future.

Last edited by GP Racer; 29 Apr 2004 at 01:16.

Danica Patrick
Old 29 Apr 2004, 01:20 (Ref:955300)   #37
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
At least on this side of Dogpatch (the IRL Forum) I did not get knocked over by any of the "fans" on their way to hurling word-bombs at "the opposition" whoever they may be.

A thought I had GP was that rather than parsing the quotes, whether they be from TG, PT, DF, CP, IRL, OWRS or the International Workers of the World, wouldn't it be way cool if we could focus on the positives of BOTH series and then try to mold them together? Kinda like a nice, right friendly marriage between yew an anyone of yer cousins like we likes to has here in Dogpatch...
Old 29 Apr 2004, 03:25 (Ref:955333)   #38
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aw, we could be serious but this has been too much fun! Switched from mah Nehi to a genyooine Olde Frothingslosh from Iron City. H'ain't had one of those in purt nigh on 10 yeahs. Just seemed raht!
Old 29 Apr 2004, 08:03 (Ref:955427)   #39
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is this the NASCAR forum? :confused:

Old 29 Apr 2004, 13:36 (Ref:955773)   #40
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
I guess I'll get serious to.

Comments like Pooks do nothing to attract new fans, and they just tend to alienate people. As you can see by these posts, his comment was taken as an insult, and that any fan of the IRL, or any other series for that matter, is not wanted over there, and thats not right. Thats no way to build a future.

Maybe "Pooks" should head up a new "Support Series" to build the Champ car fan base:

the Longaberger Baskets "What Am I - a wagon, a mini-van, or an SUV?"
Cross-Over Vehicle World Challenge....

The could showcase spec-built Pontiac Azteks, Buick Rendezvous and the ever-lovely Honda Element (with matching pastel-color plastic fenders!)

That ought to draw the Bedroom Community Yuppie Soccer Moms to the race track...

and they even like wine and cheese!!!!

Are you reading this, Pookie????

Old 29 Apr 2004, 16:15 (Ref:955869)   #41
dirtfan
Racer

dirtfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the old days of J.C. Agajanian's Sacramento Mile AMA flattrack, we used to stop by a small winery on the way, and show up with a cooler full of California wine, San Francisco dry salami and lots of Brew 102 (we were cross-culteral) and make everyone jealous while watching Gene Romero (or was it Don Castro) do his fall-down-get-up-and-win-the-main show.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 17:16 (Ref:955908)   #42
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The real meat items of the article are as follows

1. Les Unger said Toyota would be 'estatic' whould Dover bring IRL to Long Beach (no time frame, so I read that as after the 2005 contract with CCWS runs out). And that Toyota would be consulted, but that Toyota does not 'dictate' what Dover should do.

2. Tony George bought a grand stand ticket, walked the paddock, and generally soaked up the atmosphere - checking out the event.

3. Fred Nation said Toyota and George have not talked (about LBGP) as far as he knows, and IMS is not actively looking to own any more races.

4. Bernie Ecclestone is looking at returning F1 to Long Beach. Unlike George he was there in a more official capacity of due diligence.

5. Paul Gentilozzi said OWRS has a back up plan shoud they lose Long Beach ...

The last one is telling. This says OWRS does not expect to keep LBGP. But unlike Miller, who wrote the article, it sound more like the real players are simply leaving calling cards but are in no rush to force a change.

Bottom line: I expect LBGP to go IRL in 2006, but if OWRS gives up the ghost it could happen before that.

IMHO IRL will roll out road racing slowly. OWRS contracts for LBGP, Mexico City and the Molson Indy races in Toronto and Montreal will be in effect through 2005. Thus I expect IRL to add only two road races: Infineon Raceway at Sears Point (July with ALMS and STRANA - Milwaukee race will move to the traditional week after Indy to make room) and a second race at Mid-Ohio, although Road America and Road Atlanta are possibles. In 2006 they'll add two more races, with Long Beach the top prospect.

That is my read. No "war" but rather yet another waited out contract. Tony George is nothing if not patient.

Last edited by sgw2; 29 Apr 2004 at 17:18.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 17:56 (Ref:955940)   #43
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by dirtfan
In the old days of J.C. Agajanian's Sacramento Mile AMA flattrack, we used to stop by a small winery on the way, and show up with a cooler full of California wine, San Francisco dry salami and lots of Brew 102 (we were cross-culteral) and make everyone jealous while watching Gene Romero (or was it Don Castro) do his fall-down-get-up-and-win-the-main show.

I enjoy a good red wine, myself.....

But for Pookie to imply that fans who do not fervently back the other series are not "sophisticated is absurd....

BTW....

No one asked the $64,000 question:

"Why have the pastel-colored plastic fenders on the 'What am I' Series vehicles?"

The Answer:

"it would enable the drivers to die their shoes and gloves to match...without clashing with the primary colors of the car"....

One other note:

They will have a new and exciting feature....

a "Push to Pass the Tofu & Brie Cheese Ball" button....

Old 29 Apr 2004, 21:35 (Ref:956138)   #44
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Aw, we could be serious but this has been too much fun! Switched from mah Nehi to a genyooine Olde Frothingslosh from Iron City. H'ain't had one of those in purt nigh on 10 yeahs. Just seemed raht!
Your right indy, thats the most fun I've had on this forum yet! I'm still laughing at some of them posts. What was this thread about anyway!?

Thanks for the comic relief Pook!

Danica Patrick
Old 29 Apr 2004, 22:57 (Ref:956222)   #45
indycool
Veteran

True, GP.....that was a lot of fun....but I gotta upgrade my edyookayshun so I can be 'phisticated like them thar' folk at CW.

sgw2, agreed. IMO, TG won't run headlong into hassles and headaches. He got "the call" from Bear, Stearns last August to see if he wanted to buy CART and said no. When CART went bankrupt and out of business, he tossed his hat in the ring to try for unification by picking up races. He lost. So he'll wait.

Last edited by indycool; 29 Apr 2004 at 23:00.
Old 29 Apr 2004, 23:52 (Ref:956253)   #46
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
True, GP.....that was a lot of fun....but I gotta upgrade my edyookayshun so I can be 'phisticated like them thar' folk at CW.

ROTFALMAO, indycool!
Oooh, we better watch out or they'll start a 90-page thread @ CW on "ten-tenths moron threads"
I'm sorry, Mods....I'm being naughty. Mea culpa!

Ooops, that's being one of them dang-sophisticated-liberal lovin'-wine-sippin- city slickers who jus' luv to throw about them there furrin-lovin' terms
I's have too much edyookayshun fur them sophisticated folks, hehe

Last edited by MLM; 29 Apr 2004 at 23:53.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 00:00 (Ref:956262)   #47
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Oh my gosh! Its Olde Frothingslosh! The pale, stale, ale with the beer floating on TOP of the foam!

A whale of an ale for a pale stale male!

Indycool! Are you from Pittsburgh originally?

We could have a race dahntahn here n' at! Yinz guys could all come and watch us redd up Pittsburgh - ya know - things need painted and stuff. then we could go to the norside and the southside and maybe even sliberty!

Instead of drinkin all that Frenchie wine stuff an eatin them little canapeas we could pound some Irons an hoot an holler at them race cars n' at.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 30 Apr 2004 at 00:02.
Old 30 Apr 2004, 00:13 (Ref:956277)   #48
indycool
Veteran

Hahaha, John......no, not from Pittsburgh.....but I do remember Miss Olde Frothingslosh's picture on the can -- and I don't think we can stuff her personal chassis in a Champ Car chassis!
Old 30 Apr 2004, 00:17 (Ref:956278)   #49
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Any minute now zer0 will be posting a new list of potential starters in the OWRS forum showing "Olde Frothingslosh" as the sponsor!

They actually filmed a fake commericial with a special camera - the announcer was actually upside down but when he poured the ale it went "up!"
Old 30 Apr 2004, 02:43 (Ref:956325)   #50
indycool
Veteran

Maybe Iron City is coming out with a new can.....Miss Olde Frontingslosh with a helmet on....