Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jun 2005, 16:39 (Ref:1328456)   #1
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Confirmed: Midland will build their own 2006 car!

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/formul...ng-formula_one

Many had thought that Dallara would build it, but they are going to do it alone. They'll just use the Dallara wind tunnel. Schnaider has heavy pockets, lets hope he can bring this team back to where it should be
Old 14 Jun 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1328467)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A sensible move this - they realised they had the facilities to do it in house.

Although it will be a "Midland" not a "Jordan".
Old 14 Jun 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1328471)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
It will always be a Jordan to me

Remind me please, KB, was Midland one of the ones that signed on to the "new" Concorde agreement?
Old 14 Jun 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1328476)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who knows?

They've had talks with "both" sides - but I don't think anything's signed.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 17:02 (Ref:1328483)   #5
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
It would be IF so many people hadnt left Jordan over the last six or so months and if Midland hadnt gained a reputation in the midlands for being slow payers.

Whose there Tech Director?
Old 14 Jun 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1328496)   #6
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
I don't think they've announced their tech director for next year yet. But IIRC Gary Anderson's name has been tossed about.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 17:21 (Ref:1328502)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Do they have one?
Old 14 Jun 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1328503)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
Who is their Tech Director?
Do they have one?

This isnt a good thing is it surely?
Old 14 Jun 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1328573)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Midland will have to assemble a techncial team pretty quickly - only the remnants of the old Jordan staff are still there. The whole team looks pretty shambolic right now, with Minardi beating them, Carlion gone, Kolles and Karthikeyan not on speaking terms, and apparent serious consideration of an 18 year old (Andrew Ranger) as a 2006 driver.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 18:25 (Ref:1328579)   #10
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Midland will have to assemble a techncial team pretty quickly - only the remnants of the old Jordan staff are still there. The whole team looks pretty shambolic right now, with Minardi beating them, Carlion gone, Kolles and Karthikeyan not on speaking terms, and apparent serious consideration of an 18 year old (Andrew Ranger) as a 2006 driver.
Andrew Ranger in F1 in 2006! Where did you read that? It would be great.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 23:22 (Ref:1328843)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Midland is a walking disaster at the moment, reminds me of the 1990's of Forti, and L1FE...
Old 14 Jun 2005, 23:31 (Ref:1328847)   #12
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel a disaster coming on.

We all know deep pockets is no guarantee of success in F1.

Danica Patrick
Old 14 Jun 2005, 23:46 (Ref:1328854)   #13
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having read the quote I've taken it as a roundabout way of saying they'll take the work Dallara has already done on the aero and add there own gubbins from here on in. At least having had Dallara work on the car since last year they won't be starting from scratch and embarresing themselves with another lashed together car.

Interesting that Shnaider paid off everything on the Jordan books, can't have been cheap. Maybe he's more commited to the team than the media makes out?
Old 14 Jun 2005, 23:55 (Ref:1328859)   #14
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
It will always be a Jordan to me
How 'bout them Tyrrell-Hondas, then? And the Stewart-Cosworths...
Old 15 Jun 2005, 00:47 (Ref:1328878)   #15
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis B.
Andrew Ranger in F1 in 2006! Where did you read that? It would be great.
JV was asked about Andrew Ranger in F1 in the near future. JV cautioned Ranger not to jump in too quickly.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 01:08 (Ref:1328890)   #16
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Midland to build thier own car!! My heart sings to know that soon the Radical New Minardi will be given serious competition from Midland and their plucky team of Technical Boffins who have not yet been assembled to assemble a car that must hit the track sometime next season!!

Cor, now we are talking some serious interest (finally) on race day! No more of these silly inter-team competitions - you know: JPM vs Kimi (yawn) or Nick vs Mark (ho-hum) or JV vs Massa (honey, could you pass the quaaludes?) or worse, that dreadful Alonso vs Fisi matchup. Better yet, say goodbye to watching Toyota perhaps pounce on a win or good old DC snatching points from Tea,s greater than RBR! I will be riveted to my telly waiting to see the Titanic Struggle that will be going on on the Blunt end of the field: Kartheykan (or however you spell it - I must learn one day!) vs Albers, Freisacher slugging it out with Tiago and Paul Stoddart making Grand Pronouncements at Every Opportunity about how well the Radical New Minardi is doing vs the MidJorLlara.

Bernie Ecclestone must be jumping up and down on his bed of ten pound notes laughing and shouting: "This is just what the show needed! F1 is Saved!"

Last edited by JohnSSC; 15 Jun 2005 at 01:10. Reason: fine-tuning the sarcasm a wee bit.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 03:54 (Ref:1328936)   #17
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
I'm guessing you'd rather see them fold then?
Old 15 Jun 2005, 07:47 (Ref:1329011)   #18
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm guessing you'd rather see them fold then?

I dont think many want them to fold as that would be a shame, but it does seem the russian has rubbed alot of people up the wrong way including staff, creditors and many others. I'd like to see him sell Jordan to someone capable of doing a good job. IMHO he subscribes to PPM (P*ss Poor Management) more commonly seen in most donkey corporates

Carlin was wise enough to jump before it sinks and it sounds like many key people left straight after the sale of Jordan to Midland.

Also, even though the russian has wads of cash on paper, I dont reckon he's willing to spend whats needed if indeed he has it.

Simply put, without the right people and a sensible budget things wont get any better.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1329041)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
Midland is a walking disaster at the moment, reminds me of the 1990's of Forti, and L1FE...

Nothing like it!

Lets judge them on their proper debut, rather than this "get through the year" lash-up of Jordan
Old 15 Jun 2005, 08:38 (Ref:1329044)   #20
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't think they've announced their tech director for next year yet. But IIRC Gary Anderson's name has been tossed about.
His name was mentioned, yes, but that was a complete duck - he revealed never having anything to do with Midland.

The whole project is a real disaster. Shnaider was pushed into starting his project a year early, a move which couldn't bring anything but stress and confusion. That lead to Shnaider stomping in with his posse of Carlin, Kolles, Jeltsin Jr, and a couple of other guys, less than three months before the start of the season, with the old Jordan-gang rapidly exiting through the backdoor. EJ himself got a job as something marketing'ish, but i don't think he's ever actually done much in that job. That was more symbolic.

Now, Shnaider has quickly lost interest in his new project, Dallara seems to be pretty much out of the project, and Carlin has left, leaving the team with Colin Kolles, who has quickly shown to be absolutely not capable of running a F1-team, especially one with tight budgets. So, a team that had an overwhelming array of head figures is now all over suddenly misplaced in the hands of Kolles.

Midland now faces the uneasy task of building a car from scratch, without qualified drivers to do the development, without a technical director, atleast from what we know - the website doesn't give any information, as it has been closed down for weeks and weeks, and with a team leader who honestly doesn't know whether to **** or wind his watch. The team will have to build it's brand from scratch too, being completely rebranded and -coloured from next year - the unknown Midland-name, that haven't even featured as a sponsor on this years car, defenitely will be even worse to suck in sponsors than the Jordan-brand. The team has clear budgettary problems, and thus will be forced to take in drivers from primarily single-driver countries who'll have a lot of backing - Narain fits that bill, Andrew Ranger might do that too, but for what it's worth, i think eventually Shnaider will have to oversee his own national interests and go for the money.

Easy task? No. I see disaster coming, and i predict a lot of buyovers and new buyovers, eventually putting the team into a turmoil that will kill it. Or one owner might be lucky to hit the right package at the right year, and the good 'ole team will be all safe. I wouldn't put my money on it though .
Old 15 Jun 2005, 08:51 (Ref:1329052)   #21
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back

Although it will be a "Midland" not a "Jordan".
IMHO They realized they couldn't make most Jordan staff redundant as easily as they thought.
The purchase of Jordan had 4 clear motivations:
1) Save the F1 entry fee
2) Enjoy TV rights proceeds since this year, and, above all:
3) Get a ready-to-go race team, once Midland realized it was absolutely impossible to set up a brand-new one
4) Get rid of Jordan design office and work with Dallara

Once point 4 proved politically very tough, the obvious decision was the one
they took; everybody would have done the same, even if now they'll have to face higher running costs
Old 15 Jun 2005, 09:06 (Ref:1329057)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alex Schanier has pretty much gone about things the wrong way right from the start - he's going to certianly have to put a lot into marketing the team as Midland at the start of 2006, so as to distance them as much as possible from this season's fiasco. Kolles surely has to go if the team is to progress, his man-management has pushed the team to disaster already.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 09:15 (Ref:1329063)   #23
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IT was fairly obvious last week when they were advertising jobs in Autosport to build their new car. I thought it was funny that Autosport didnt pick up on it.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 10:21 (Ref:1329121)   #24
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Inigo - geez! I used smilies and everything and you still thought I was wishing an ill fate on the plucky lads from Midland.

What I was trying to do was pull the reins on the unbridled enthusiasm regarding this silly announcement. I don't want them to fail at all - as fans, we need to see what is there and save the excitement for when it is deserved.

Look how much money Toyota have thrown at F1. Now, at last, they are seeing some good results. Just because Schnaider is wealthy does not mean he is going to spend his personal fortune building an F1 car. At this point, he couldn't if he wanted to as there is no one to do it. Aside from that, rich people learn quickly that the fastest way to turn a big fortune into a small one is to own a racing team - especially F1.

The_royskopp hit the nail on the head with his assesssment, and I tend to agree with GP that there is a disaster in the making here.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1329126)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Every time I read an article about Narain, I wonder just how much better Minardi would be with his US$24m budget from Tata......
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House