Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Aug 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1387389)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So what is wrong with the Williams this time?

The race in Istanbul has me curious about the 2 Williams cars, and their setup options for the circuit.

Watching the race live at f1.com (our local network is around an hour behind the live timing), the commentary suggested Mr Heidfeld had a right rear tyre failure, presumably as a result of contact with Mr Massa....

... while Mr Webber had a right rear tyre failure all on his own... pitted to replace the tyre, had a bangup with Mr Schumacher.. where it was suggested the blue car was entitled to the corner and then the right rear let go once again as the car spun into the gravel a short time later..... and then onto retirement....

My question here is whether the bangs with the other cars did something to each of the Williams on the same corner of the car... or indeed if there may have been a setup issue that caused the 3 tyre failures on that corner of the car.... or a casing failure only happening on the 2 blue and white cars...

.. either suggestion isnt particularly palatable.. a badly setup car or a damaged one allowed to rejoin the race....

What is the problem this time... what will it take for Williams to pull the proverbial finger out and fix these kinds of things....

(Spoken as a frustrated BMW and Williams fan.... )
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 21 Aug 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1387397)   #2
fazzaz
Racer

United States
Appalachia, USA
fazzaz has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Commentators on SPEED reported that Williams said the problem was the rear wing end plate touching the right rear tire (only in long left-hand corners?) and cutting the tires.

It seems odd to have this problem, to say the least.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 13:28 (Ref:1387401)   #3
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber catches out Schumi and breaks his nosecone. It really is going so pear-shaped for Williams this race, isn't it?
Old 21 Aug 2005, 13:32 (Ref:1387406)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sam Michael has said they are investigating the problem, so it's unlikely any of us will know what it is.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1387408)   #5
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They need a chicane on turn 8
Old 21 Aug 2005, 13:38 (Ref:1387411)   #6
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least with Webber,he lets his me know early in the race if I can go to bed and watch the race tomorrow.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 13:39 (Ref:1387412)   #7
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
must have been BMW's fault
Old 21 Aug 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1387422)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Webber was a lap behind Michael when he ran into him, which is inexcusable. How Brundle worked out that the incident was Michael's fault I don't know.

I was amazed that they took so long to withdraw the cars. It was neither safe nor competitive to race under those circumstances.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1387425)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Webber was a lap behind Michael when he ran into him, which is inexcusable. How Brundle worked out that the incident was Michael's fault I don't know.

He didn't say it was Michael's fault, but he said Michael could have avoided it.

Similar to what he said about Webber in Malaysia and was (wrongly) castigated for on here.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1387470)   #10
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So Webber should have just stayed behind MS even though he was faster? MS should have been more aware and either just let Webber go (if Webber was a lap down it wouldn't have hurt him), or given him more room. That incident is definatly more MS's fault than Webbers.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1387471)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
and was (wrongly) castigated for on here.
Your really must learn to use "IMHO" more often KB.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1387474)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Everything I say is my opinion!
Old 21 Aug 2005, 14:38 (Ref:1387479)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Strange that Mark Blundell came to the same conclusion, then. At the time Webber was recovering from a pit stop. Why should he not try to unlap himself from TGF? It's motor racing, you know.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 14:40 (Ref:1387483)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Michael could have given room and kept his position. Not that it matters a great deal to either driver I guess......neither would've scored points.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1387485)   #15
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Though, from what I saw, Webber's front wheel was broadly in line with Schuey's raer wheel, which might indicate that Webber was being, well, a little optimistic, at any rate.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1387486)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Webber hit the middle of the sidepod, so was at least alongside halfway
Old 21 Aug 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1387536)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I was amazed that they took so long to withdraw the cars. It was neither safe nor competitive to race under those circumstances.

Boots.. It was Michael's fault IMHO of course.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1387561)   #18
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Hobbs on Speed Channel certainly thought it was Michael's fault.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1387563)   #19
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I find frustrating is the fact that IF they knew it was the end-plate, why did they not make an "adjustment" and send the cars back out? They could have easily stayed in front of Michael's Ferrari which might prove useful at the next qualifying session.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 16:25 (Ref:1387566)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Well, I suspect they couldn't be sure what it was so there was no point taking a risk.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 00:34 (Ref:1387906)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy mole
Strange that Mark Blundell came to the same conclusion, then. At the time Webber was recovering from a pit stop. Why should he not try to unlap himself from TGF? It's motor racing, you know.
It was a bit of surprise last night, I have never heard Brundle say so many positive things about Webber at one race. You can always count on Blundell though.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 01:22 (Ref:1387923)   #22
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't get why Schumacher was defending his position so vigorously against a guy a lap down who was clearly quicker than him. Would the smartest thing not have been to let him through and continue on with the race.

Mark did mention that Michael was weaving around in the braking zone and changing his lines, and as a result he did not feel particularly sorry for him after the incident.

Perhaps Michael was bored circulating on his own, with no real chance of points and wanted to spice up his race.

Up until his first tyre drama, Webber had been flying and quickly passed both Red Bulls - a total shame that neither Williams could reach their full potential.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 02:12 (Ref:1387938)   #23
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the interview later in the race Schumacher said he lost sight of Webber. Hmm, maybe that was because he was no longer behind him! I suppose Schuey has not had a lot of practice at being overtaken in recent times though
Old 22 Aug 2005, 02:55 (Ref:1387945)   #24
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's difficult to judge with the claim that Mark "was around TGF's rear wheel" - as Mark may have been braking to avoid the incident, thus making him a bit further back on Schumi's car.

It was however, optimistic of Mark, as he did have a much faster car, and could have waited - although both parties in this situation were at fault.

I'd still like to take this as an opportunity to say cheers to Mark for this weekend - almost a good quali for him, one fairly good, and one really good pass on the RB cars, and he would have been a hero had it of worked on MS. Damn shame for Williams though.

Is it possible to say something to the extent of "now we know where the speed was coming from" with the Williams'? I know you essentially sacrifice durability with speed - was there no trade off - was the speed genuine, and this was just another problem completely seperate to the performance of the cars?
Old 22 Aug 2005, 03:20 (Ref:1387952)   #25
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a shame because the Williams were finally looking competitive not Renault or Mac pace but as good as anything else out there & Webber was driving through the well but once again wasn't rewarded.