Closed Thread

Old 29 Oct 2005, 06:15 (Ref:1446539)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Second BMW seat.

i may just have missed this completely but has there been any announcement regarding the second driver for BMW next year? I remember Villenuve saying BMW had bought all the existing Sauber contracts and he didn't see why that shouldn't include him, although that may just to wishful thinking on his part.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 06:37 (Ref:1446546)   #2
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There hasn't been any annoucement, but MT has been talking about possibly replacing JV. The question is why - if they have decided on keeping JV - that they haven't announced it yet.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 11:15 (Ref:1446648)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I suspect they haven't decided on keeping JV yet. More likely, they're looking to see a) if they want him, and b) if they can legally dump him. Then they can turn to c) who do they want to replace him with? The options are becoming fewer; realistically, they can either go for a rookie, like Piquet Jr, Premat or Davidson; or they can pick up someone with a bit more experience, like Wurz, Albers or Gene. I don't see them thinking outside the box, and promoting one of their own like Priaulx or one of the Mullers, much though I'd like them to.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 11:32 (Ref:1446654)   #4
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm gonna vote for Wurz or albers on this.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1446660)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I had a dream the other night that JV kept the seat.......

Considering my actual view on that is totally different though, I reckon it'd be nice to see Mr Wurz or de la Rosa get the seat.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 11:42 (Ref:1446663)   #6
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I had a dream the other night that JV kept the seat.......

Considering my actual view on that is totally different though, I reckon it'd be nice to see Mr Wurz or de la Rosa get the seat.
Life a bit dull, is it? My last dream was me signing for the WWE for some reason. kurt angle isn't as bald in person.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1446666)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, it wasn't the main theme of the dream.....it was a sort of background thing.

The actual dream was not really repeatable on this site.

Anyways, back to topic!
Old 29 Oct 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1446670)   #8
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Well, it wasn't the main theme of the dream.....it was a sort of background thing.

The actual dream was not really repeatable on this site.

Anyways, back to topic!
lol, fair enough, back to the topic.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1446703)   #9
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I presume that JV is expensive not to keep, and BMW this year will not be so brilliant.

In my opinion they will keep him there, as, it is the most convenient thing to do for all and in the meantime use his experience for thier future, as they will not be challenging anyway this year.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1446777)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hopes on that... but this long silence means that JV is not their preferred choice.

I wonder why .
Old 29 Oct 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1446794)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think in the end they will decide Jacques is the best option available to them
Old 29 Oct 2005, 16:56 (Ref:1446877)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
And, as Jacques suggested some months ago, they can alays blame him when things get sticky...
Old 29 Oct 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1446897)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In reality JV may not be 'expensive to keep'. Presumably they won't have to pay him as much for enxt eyar fi he doesn't race, and if their alternate choice performs more strong ly or lerns for the future, the team's success and resultant marketability. Giving the second car to a young driver would make more sense - someone who can larn the ropes from Nick and become a strong BMW man.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 17:33 (Ref:1446905)   #14
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I also can't see how JV is "expensive to keep." It was only a two-year contract and JV was in no position to command a significant sallary last year. I'm guessing his only real way of earning significant money at Sauber was based on some sort of performance bonus system.

I agree that the longer the silence continues the worse it gets for JV.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 18:16 (Ref:1446929)   #15
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
He still does demand it though. So he drove the best car in 97 and was a publicity coup more than a proper driver, taking nothing away from his abilities.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1446989)   #16
flashF1
Racer

Canada
Canada
flashF1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
You can count PDLR out as he was quoted on F1racing as stating he tried to get the ride but BMW said "NO".

If Wurz can't get a full time drive with Macca, why should BMW show any interest?
Old 29 Oct 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1446993)   #17
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashF1
You can count PDLR out as he was quoted on F1racing as stating he tried to get the ride but BMW said "NO".

If Wurz can't get a full time drive with Macca, why should BMW show any interest?
because he has experience in their chief rivals car.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1447023)   #18
flashF1
Racer

Canada
Canada
flashF1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo
because he has experience in their chief rivals car.
So does Anthony Davidson and what happened to his link to a BMW drive?

Perhaps BMW built the C25 or what ever they call it around Wurz's gigantic size with little thought around Nick's small #1 stature.
Old 30 Oct 2005, 10:45 (Ref:1447362)   #19
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found this quote apparently from De La Rosa on another F1 forum:

Quote:
17 octobre 2005 - Pedro de la Rosa, pilote d'essais, a été de ceux qui ont offert leurs services Ã* la nouvelle équipe BMW pour 2006.

Son expérience de pilote titulaire et de pilote d'essais chez McLaren faisait de l'Espagnol un candidat sérieux pour l'équipe suisse-allemande.

Or, dans un article du site F1Total.com, paru samedi le 15 octobre, de la Rosa explique qu'il a tenté sa chance du côté de BMW, pour obtenir le deuxième volant aux côtés de Nick Heidfeld. Ses efforts sont toutefois restés vains. Les négociations n'ont pas abouti parce que: « BMW continue avec (Jacques) Villeneuve », précise-t-il.

Le pilote espagnol, qui devra donc oublier un poste de titulaire en 2006, continuera comme pilote d'essais, peut-on lire dans l'article.
Courtesy of Babelfish, this is what the French to English translation reads:

Quote:
October 17, 2005 - Pedro of Rosa, test pilot, was those which offered their services to new team BMW for 2006. Its experiment of titular pilot and test pilot at McLaren made of the Spaniard a serious candidate for the Switzerland-suisse-allemande team. However, in an article of the F1Total.com site, published Saturday on October 15, of Rosa explains why it tried its chance on the side of BMW, to obtain the second wheel at the sides of Nick Heidfeld. Its efforts however remained vain. The negotiations did not succeed because: "BMW continues with (Jacques) Villeneuve", specifies it. The Spanish pilot, who will have to thus forget a station of holder in 2006, will continue as test pilot, can one read in the article.
EDIT: Here is a link to the article: http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/fo...DelaRosa.shtml
Please be careful with copyrighted material. Sources are requried and also try to only post the bits that back up what you are trying to say. Thanks.

Last edited by Adam43; 30 Oct 2005 at 18:27. Reason: Here is a link to the article: http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/formule_un/2005/10/17/001-051017VillDelaRosa.shtml
Old 30 Oct 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1447597)   #20
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo
He still does demand it though. So he drove the best car in 97 and was a publicity coup more than a proper driver, taking nothing away from his abilities.
JV's contract with Sauber was described at the time of his signing as a standard contract. Likely the average rate and I would think anything more would be performance based. And JV has stated many times that money is not the issue. But we still get posts like above, based on ........ well, nothing really, other than one's imagination.
Old 30 Oct 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1447600)   #21
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
As for De La Rosa's statement about JV at BMW in '06, I took that statement at the time as just his disappointment; in that he didn't know for sure that JV would be retained but concluded that BMW had made their choice. And it wasn't going to be him.
Old 30 Oct 2005, 16:02 (Ref:1447616)   #22
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashF1
So does Anthony Davidson and what happened to his link to a BMW drive?
Are BAR BMW's chief rival? I thought Mercedes were a bit closer to home
Old 30 Oct 2005, 17:15 (Ref:1447666)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BMW won't be expecting to beat Mercedes for a while though. Beating the Honda and Toyota teams is a much more realistic short-term target.
Old 30 Oct 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1447713)   #24
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose the cynical point of view would be BMW keeping JV simply so they can have a very public scapegoat, afterall, it was always the chassis that was the problem at Williams.
Old 30 Oct 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1447751)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Villeneuve has said exactly that. He said that BMW should keep him because if it works then great and if it doesn't they can blame him!