Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 1 Dec 2003, 12:38 (Ref:800271)   #1
jonathanc
Racer

jonathanc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HANS Device

This could be interesting.......
Now the price of the HANS systems have come down to a level that some club racers would be willing to pay, is there anything that marshalls need to learn in regards to whether it effects the way a driver is removed from a car, especially a single seater cockpit??
Old 1 Dec 2003, 12:48 (Ref:800279)   #2
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My guess is that it will most often be Rescue crews which are involved in removing a HANS device or removing a driver who does not get themself out. Training has been provided for some crews already and I am sure that all concerned are making plans to include this.

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 1 Dec 2003 at 12:51.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 12:52 (Ref:800282)   #3
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Jim, would it not make sense for them to at least be demonstrated to the marshals though?
Old 1 Dec 2003, 13:03 (Ref:800294)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Certainly would but that's in the context of the training only just beginning to "trickle down" so I doubt if it will happen very widely this Jan/Feb.

I was only replying in the context of the original question - too narrow a response.

Regards

Jim
Old 1 Dec 2003, 13:53 (Ref:800345)   #5
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cart details about hans

hans website

hutchens device
Old 1 Dec 2003, 13:55 (Ref:800348)   #6
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
ScottDay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting!!!
Old 1 Dec 2003, 14:53 (Ref:800386)   #7
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Details of removal were in the last copy of the Marshal, the same one that had the circuit staff article.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 15:04 (Ref:800396)   #8
jonathanc
Racer

Does anyone know what risks there are to the driver when removing him/her from the car when fitted with a HANS or similar device?

Glad to hear its started to trickle through the system.
Old 1 Dec 2003, 17:22 (Ref:800508)   #9
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by jonathanc
Does anyone know what risks there are to the driver when removing him/her from the car when fitted with a HANS or similar device?
The risks depend on how the driver is having to be manipulated to clear obstructions etc. If the driver is getting out on their own the problem does not really exist. If you are saying that they are having to be extricated from the car, then how they are handled will be part of the rescue crew's factors to consider.

In general terms, the HANS will have to be removed before an extrication device such as a KED is applied. Removal is not teribly complicated. Cut the straps, remove the helmet and then remove the HANS by lifting up and backwards during that part of the extrication process which allows the KED to be positioned.

Of course if you are faced with integral extrication devices as in F1 or Formula BMW the order may differ.

Again of course, if the driver is not breathing, restoration of an airway and breathing support become the critical factors.

If you have not got a copy of the publication referred to above, it can be found at: http://www.motorsportsafetyfund.com/ and follow the links to "The Marshal". Page 9 of the November issue is what you are looking for.

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 1 Dec 2003 at 17:25.
Old 2 Dec 2003, 11:39 (Ref:801385)   #10
S_Morrell
Rookie

S_Morrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Jim on this one. HANS devices are very good for the driver but can complicate things a little.
My advice is the same as Jim's, if the driver can get out on their own then let them. They can then remove their own helmet and HANS outside the car.
If they can't get out on their own then they need the help of the rescue unit crew and medical staff to ensure proper spine immobilisation and extrication.

One thing to bear in mind is that a HANS is a pig to remove whilst the driver is sitting in the car. It really needs to be removed by removing it backwards (i.e. sliding it off towards the rear of the car). This is very difficult in a racing seat. Although the Marshal magazine mentions rotating the device, I am reluctant to do this for real as it seems pretty risky to me.

So, if in doubt, call us out. We're a friendly bunch and like to feel wanted from time to time (keeps us awake too)

Cheers for now
Si
Old 2 Dec 2003, 11:41 (Ref:801388)   #11
jonathanc
Racer

Excellent info from all.
Many thanks
Old 3 Dec 2003, 00:18 (Ref:801984)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I did KED for a couple of meetings this year, which included a demonstration of removing a driver from a DTM Mercedes, starting with Helmet and Hans in place.

Firstly, it's going to have to be seriously urgent to need to remove the HANS without Rescue being there. Secondly we found the fastes way to remove it if you're in a hurry and don't wish to risk further injury was to rotate it 90deg then pull it out towards you. You need to be pretty desperate to want to try it though.
Old 14 Dec 2003, 19:12 (Ref:811752)   #13
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last month, we had a guest speaker at our club meeting who demonstrated the HANS device for us. Other than knowing that it must be removed laterally (not over the head) the most important thing seems to be to understand how to undo the straps that connect it to the helmet, because there are two different methods.

My thought is that, in a hard crash, this is an important piece of equipment to leave in place until medical or rescue has determined that the driver has not suffered a spinal injury. After a lesser incident though, the driver may appreciate you disconnecting the straps so he can turn his head further.

I tried it on. It certainly supports your neck. It's a great tool. Besides, in a pinch you could use it to dress up like Darth Vader for a costume party.

Tags
hans