Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jan 2006, 02:24 (Ref:1497583)   #1
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2005 F1 Review DVD

I see that it's available (at least is Aus) but has anyone actually obtained a copy yet?
Old 9 Jan 2006, 06:36 (Ref:1497639)   #2
AussieF1
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
AussieF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ordered a copy last Thursday from Pitstop Book Shop in W.A., who advised they had sold out initial stock and would have more this week.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 11:03 (Ref:1497749)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I refuse to buy it at the rip off price it is in the UK (around £16).
Old 9 Jan 2006, 12:26 (Ref:1497781)   #4
cmifsud
Racer

Australia
Australia
cmifsud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Monster (16 pounds = $37.50 Aust). Its a rip off. I'll wait until the end of this year when they put it on the specials table.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 13:08 (Ref:1497808)   #5
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have it.

It's very long, and quite gripping. A decent buy IMO.

PAUL
Old 9 Jan 2006, 13:45 (Ref:1497842)   #6
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got it as a Chrstmas present. not had time to watch it yet - will let you know!
Old 9 Jan 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1497942)   #7
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
£14.99 on Amazon, perhaps cheaper second-hand. Even so, it's over 3 hours long, so it's good value.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 16:32 (Ref:1497944)   #8
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And it's a good DVD. However, let down by misleading you about the 'on pole' laps. The pole driver doesn't always comment on their lap. For example, at Monza, I expected to see Raikkonen's great lap, but instead we got one from Tonio Liuzzi. That aspect is disappointing, but the rest is good.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 18:45 (Ref:1498004)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmmm....

I watched it again recently.

I have come to the conclusion that it is the worst DVD in the world.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 19:41 (Ref:1498052)   #10
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Hmmm....

You obviously havent seen the Abi Titmuss Tone and Tease dvd!
Old 9 Jan 2006, 20:46 (Ref:1498097)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Hmmm....

Whats so bad about it Knowls, price aside, could you be more specific as I was going to pick it up if I ever see it in a bargain bin etc.

I remember back in 2000 I saw the 1998 review video in a bargain bin in Woolworths for about £4, I didn't buy it only to fork out £16.99 for it some 3 years later...
Old 9 Jan 2006, 21:08 (Ref:1498109)   #12
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have it, but had no time to see it all till now. I just saw till Montreal. I enjoyed watching it, especially scenes that we are not used to watching on tv, like pit lane scenes etc. Not to miss in my opinion.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 21:52 (Ref:1498148)   #13
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Further news in Austland, it appears the online dvd stores are getting it in stock on Feb6th for approx $20.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 23:29 (Ref:1498220)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
£14.99 on www.play.com
Old 10 Jan 2006, 14:08 (Ref:1498631)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A number of reasons.

My main gripe, as always, is the lack of extra features. I think rather than rush the DVD out five weeks after the season finishes, they should spend more time on it. Think of all the possibilities they could add. Camera angle control, more onboard laps, race statistics, etc….. Frankly, they could release it in March 2008 and I wouldn’t be bothered.

The DVD seems to miss some small on-track events that I can’t quite lay my finger on, although most things are covered.

Some action is covered completely and utterly appallingly. The Schumacher-Alonso battle at Imola springs to mind here. It looks about as exciting as rice paper and yet I specifically remember being quite animated when it was actually happening. And it plays the most godawful music as well……why do they do this?

Some onboard footage is a tad grainy, but picture quality is generally nice as ever.

Also, I demand a feature to knock the commentary off, leaving just the sound of the cars. I think Ben Edwards is the best, but he isn’t designed to read a script. He’s not an actor.

The extra features that are included should actually be called extra feature. You get an onboard quali lap at each track and that’s it. They seem to have tried to spread the laps around the field, but in doing so have picked the most unextraordinary laps of all time. I’m talking about Liuzzi at Monza here, a practice lap for gods sake. Or DC at Silverstone. Why can’t I watch a lap of Silverstone with Alonso, Kimi, JPM or Button? Why do I have to listen to DC talk us around Silverstone, getting all the corner names wrong, on what appears to be a reconnaissance lap? Sure, you get a ridiculous bout of face pulling from Montoya at the end of his lap at Spain but I expect more than that.

And for heaven's sake Duke, change the menu layout.

Yes, this DVD is rubbish and I wish I bought the video instead.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1498714)   #16
safc_fan89
Veteran

I'm not concerned about the lack of extra features. If you have more, the DVD costs more. And I'm not that annoyed about the 'On pole!' cock-up. I know all the tracks off by heart anyway, and don't need someone to describe them for me. Could have been better, but never mind.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 16:21 (Ref:1498719)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It won't cost more at all! Most DVD's have decent extra features for £20.

I would happily pay £25 and wait six months more for a proper, bumper DVD.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1498720)   #18
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Does it have the terrible dramatic "mood music" that they had all the way through the 2001 review?
Old 10 Jan 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1498722)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

No, not really. Thank god.

There is pointless music though.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1498734)   #20
safc_fan89
Veteran

Quote:
It won't cost more at all! Most DVD's have decent extra features for £20.

I would happily pay £25 and wait six months more for a proper, bumper DVD.
For £15, it's a good DVD. I wouldn't want to pay £20 or more for it. Duke would probably use the excuse 'it took more effort to put together, therefore we will charge more'.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1498781)   #21
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
2003 is the last review I got. They always tend to be crap, so if it is hte onlything someone has of the season for the future then that is a shame.

This is why I record the races.

I will need to start being more explicit come b'day xmas time again. I always say "anything F1 related".

Seldom is anything F1 related ever got.

I tend to object to the prices of F1 related stuff, so try to use presents as a means of transfering the expense to other people. Hasn't been too successful for about the last 5 years. Perhaps people have got wise to it all.

The problem I have now is that getting them cheap in bargain bins, or what have you, is much less likely now, what with my being in North America instead of the UK.

We'll see.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 18:27 (Ref:1498800)   #22
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
Try living in Ireland. €34.99 in HMV here.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 10:22 (Ref:1501550)   #23
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hadn't got it, but I'm now considering it because I've got all the others (so for completions sake!), and I missed a bit of F1 last year being busy with other racing stuff. Play.com looks the best bet at the moment...
Old 15 Jan 2006, 15:49 (Ref:1501703)   #24
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoyed the dvd. It was good that they got Ben to put his voice to the coverage. I still think that the 2000 season review on dvd was the best. I wonder if they ever bring out a review recorded in dolby 5.1 or dts. That would be pretty cool.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 15:56 (Ref:1501709)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is no point. It is only recorded in stereo. So to 5.1 it needs trickery or, put another way, faking. Which is pointless. I suppse they could do it and it would be good - to here the noise of the back of the trees at Spa or the in tunnel at Monaco. However out door sound can be tricky. I suppose you can mess with the commentary

The biggest improvement to the coverage - live and DVD - would be widescreen.