Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 9 Apr 2022, 18:27 (Ref:4105991)   #551
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
EUR1.78 per litre? Cheap compared to what we've been paying here!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 9 Apr 2022, 19:10 (Ref:4105994)   #552
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
In our area any fuel is around 2 € per liter and diesel much more. They "offered" a bargain just before our nat elections. But the taxes go from 56 per cent for the diesel to 59 per cent for the SP 95. Many small transport companies or taxis are really concerned atm.
Old 9 Apr 2022, 19:57 (Ref:4106002)   #553
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Filled up my Giulietta after about 500 miles and it cost £93.93, at supermarket (Tesco) price - £1.719/litre......getting perilously close to the card-only pump limit of £100 .... eek!
Old 9 Apr 2022, 20:45 (Ref:4106005)   #554
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

But in an urban situation or on typically busy A and B roads there do seem to be considerable advantages that more than offset the fact that the thing is notably bigger and heavier than the car it replaced yet probably more economical. (I don't really have any figures for the old Corolla but I doubt it was ever bettering the mid 40s mpg that this thing seems to achieve without effort and the low 50s that often appear even for relatively short trips starting with a cold engine.).
My 12 year old Octavia VRS diesel has averaged 56.3 MPG since I've owned it - I've managed a best of of 75.9 from Calcott to Maidenhead when the M4 was a 50mph zone. My ex-wife's Prius struggles to better 48.....
Old 10 Apr 2022, 07:25 (Ref:4106092)   #555
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My Grand Cherokee averages 23mpg, the Fiesta ST can get to 39, the XJS does around 25 and the MGB does around 22. Gotta keep using those fossils.
Old 10 Apr 2022, 10:28 (Ref:4106120)   #556
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
EUR1.78 per litre? Cheap compared to what we've been paying here!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Just checked - the actual price was 2.009 euros/litre.

It has now dropped back to around 1.89
Old 10 Apr 2022, 11:54 (Ref:4106129)   #557
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Lucky you, John, living in a blessed area in this respect. Cant imagine things going back to the old prices after his re-election…
Old 10 Apr 2022, 12:47 (Ref:4106134)   #558
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Lucky you, John, living in a blessed area in this respect. Cant imagine things going back to the old prices after his re-election…
His re-election! Don't - that's too awful to comprehend. He'll probably have us all back in masks too...
Old 10 Apr 2022, 15:51 (Ref:4106149)   #559
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
He has a lot of different masks to wear himself. Just praying for him and his new or old sidekicks not to change again the rules allowing only two times five years… ATM! What a disaster.
Old 10 Apr 2022, 16:18 (Ref:4106152)   #560
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
He has a lot of different masks to wear himself. Just praying for him and his new or old sidekicks not to change again the rules allowing only two times five years… ATM! What a disaster.
It's nearly as bad as America - a big country but it seems there is nobody of any quality/ability who wants to lead it.
Old 10 Apr 2022, 18:14 (Ref:4106164)   #561
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I had a dream… Why dont the main opponents join their forces to fight together? A problem of ego and brain I suppose. There we go, another five years. What a shame.
Old 10 Apr 2022, 19:04 (Ref:4106168)   #562
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
It's nearly as bad as America - a big country but it seems there is nobody of any quality/ability who wants to lead it.
Same as most countries it seems to me, inc this one.
Zelensky is doing well (but his popularity had dwindled before the war) and I quite liked the NZ PM without delving in to the details, but I see that their media have turned against her now.
I have always said, that if someone expresses the view that they want to be a politician then they should be barred anyway, on the grounds of insanity and supreme arrogance!
Old 10 Apr 2022, 19:26 (Ref:4106171)   #563
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I have always said, that if someone expresses the view that they want to be a politician then they should be barred anyway, on the grounds of insanity and supreme arrogance!
Well said. VOTEZ ANDY!

No worry, Andy, its just for fun, your words do make sense. Cheers.
Old 10 Apr 2022, 19:33 (Ref:4106173)   #564
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Same as most countries it seems to me, inc this one.
Zelensky is doing well (but his popularity had dwindled before the war) and I quite liked the NZ PM without delving in to the details, but I see that their media have turned against her now.
Belgium seemed to manage quite well for a time without a government, so there is hope!
Old 10 Apr 2022, 20:13 (Ref:4106182)   #565
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well said. VOTEZ ANDY!

No worry, Andy, its just for fun, your words do make sense. Cheers.
Hmmm!

And what really winds me up is “career politicians” that study something like Politics, Philosophy and Economics at University and then get a “job” as a researcher for one party or another before being found a safe seat to be elected to, without ever doing a proper job first.
Perhaps politicians should also be barred from standing in my world if the6 are under the age of 40 to try to ensure that they have some life experience first!
Old 11 Apr 2022, 06:46 (Ref:4106236)   #566
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Hmmm!

And what really winds me up is “career politicians” that study something like Politics, Philosophy and Economics at University and then get a “job” as a researcher for one party or another before being found a safe seat to be elected to, without ever doing a proper job first.
Perhaps politicians should also be barred from standing in my world if the6 are under the age of 40 to try to ensure that they have some life experience first!
Couldn't agree more...
Old 11 Apr 2022, 07:00 (Ref:4106239)   #567
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Hmmm!

That's an interesting take on it.

We need people to run our country, and we have chosen a political system to decide who does this. Therefore we need politicians, which makes it a 'proper job'.
So who best to take on that role - someone who studied it at university and then took on that job?

I think I get your point - but if we want to have a society with a media, legal, justice, political system etc. - then surely the best people for the job (in the main) are those who studied for it and make a career out of it?

If we barred people from standing under the age of 40, we'd soon have complaints that everyone is too old and out of touch with the younger generations.....
Old 11 Apr 2022, 07:12 (Ref:4106241)   #568
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's a dilemma but clearly the career politicians have reduced the quality of decision making. It seems more decisions come from the civil servants and focus groups rather than clear thinking politicians. I guess its unsurprising really. Principled politicians like Thatcher, Attlee etc. are fewer than ever.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 08:10 (Ref:4106247)   #569
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
That's an interesting take on it.

We need people to run our country, and we have chosen a political system to decide who does this. Therefore we need politicians, which makes it a 'proper job'.
So who best to take on that role - someone who studied it at university and then took on that job?

I think I get your point - but if we want to have a society with a media, legal, justice, political system etc. - then surely the best people for the job (in the main) are those who studied for it and make a career out of it?

If we barred people from standing under the age of 40, we'd soon have complaints that everyone is too old and out of touch with the younger generations.....
I wasn’t being entirely serious about the “40 thing”, however, I do think it’s important to have people making policies and decisions who have not just studied it but might also have an appreciation of the consequences of those policies/ decisions based on some experience.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 08:25 (Ref:4106251)   #570
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I wasn’t being entirely serious about the “40 thing”, however, I do think it’s important to have people making policies and decisions who have not just studied it but might also have an appreciation of the consequences of those policies/ decisions based on some experience.
I totally understand your point - I just think it would be too difficult (in practice) to define what a suitable level of experience is.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 08:25 (Ref:4106252)   #571
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It's a dilemma but clearly the career politicians have reduced the quality of decision making. It seems more decisions come from the civil servants and focus groups rather than clear thinking politicians. I guess its unsurprising really. Principled politicians like Thatcher, Attlee etc. are fewer than ever.
Agree, but I do think many of the decisions are also made on the basis of what the Daily Mail / Evening Standard headlines might be.
As for the influence of civil servants, my wife is one (albeit a late joiner after years in the IT and airline industry and then mental health care) and she is continually frustrated and appalled by the quality of management and decision making in her branch. Again, the vast majority of civil servants are career people who join at 18/21 and know nothing else and have never had to enact the policies and rules they draft or enforce.
In my world, I am often responding to tenders published by civil service and other (quasi) government bodies, and you do wonder where they get their ideas from; they are often poorly specced, unrealistic and change all the time, it’s no wonder that projects are over budget and late. As a nation we are far better at reactive stuff than planning stuff!
We do need the theorists but we also need people with experience of practical applications.

Last edited by andy97; 11 Apr 2022 at 08:35.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 08:27 (Ref:4106254)   #572
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
His re-election! Don't - that's too awful to comprehend. He'll probably have us all back in masks too...
Would you rather Marine Le Pen then?

I really know very little of French politics, sorry, except what we are told in our media about her being the “far right candidate”. What that actually means in terms of headline policy and philosophy compared to Macron I am not sure.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 08:50 (Ref:4106267)   #573
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Agree, but I do think many of the decisions are also made on the basis of what the Daily Mail / Evening Standard headlines might be.
Yes I should have added that, which IMO is a consequence of lack of principles. No moral fibre to be old fashioned.

Quote:
As for the influence of civil servants, my wife is one (albeit a late joiner after years in the IT and airline industry and then mental health care) and she is continually frustrated and appalled by the quality of management and decision making in her branch. Again, the vast majority of civil servants are career people who join at 18/21 and know nothing else and have never had to enact the policies and rules they draft or enforce.
Agreed.

Quote:
In my world, I am often responding to tenders published by civil service and other (quasi) government bodies, and you do wonder where they get their ideas from; they are often poorly specced, unrealistic and change all the time, it’s no wonder that projects are over budget and late. As a nation we are far better at reactive stuff than planning stuff!
We do need the theorists but we also need people with experience of practical applications.
I've been in construction for far too many years and sadly those who now run things have about as much clue as a dead slug. I recall arguing with a shareholder rep of around 30 years old, who suggested we give a contractor's scope to another entity because they'd offered to do it cheaper. Not only a clear breach of contract, but in this case a breach of the civil code of the country we were working in. But she had an MBA in business studies and was clearly far cleverer than me. The company subsequently got sued. Hey ho.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 09:16 (Ref:4106274)   #574
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think having what I would call 'real life experience' is useful for a number of 'jobs'. I feel the same about teachers as a lot of them appear to be lacking in that respect too. They leave school and go to university/teacher training college (big school) and then go back to working in a school. This may not have a detrimental effect on their academic knowledge and teaching, but there is more to what they do than that.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 18:10 (Ref:4106359)   #575
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I know it's not the F1 forum, but I just like this interview. https://twitter.com/F1/status/151357...M4_M0_bew&s=19
Closed Thread