Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 22 Dec 2022, 02:36 (Ref:4137822)   #1701
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I seem to recollect someone commenting that this thread was a lot quieter - and indeed, compard to 2021 it is - there were 224 pages and 3360 comments last year, so on both measures we are a little over 50% of the 2021 levels........

But of course this year we have been largely freed of restrictions so less glued to our screens, and maybe out in the real world, scary though it is......

I still value this community, though, and would be happy to honour Bob's contributions with the "what would Bob have said" title.....
Old 22 Dec 2022, 02:56 (Ref:4137823)   #1702
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I seem to recollect someone commenting that this thread was a lot quieter - and indeed, compard to 2021 it is - there were 224 pages and 3360 comments last year, so on both measures we are a little over 50% of the 2021 levels........

But of course this year we have been largely freed of restrictions so less glued to our screens, and maybe out in the real world, scary though it is......

I still value this community, though, and would be happy to honour Bob's contributions with the "what would Bob have said" title.....
I also still value this community but I see two sides of this thread title 'quandary'.... we all dearly miss Mike and I feel his presence should remain in tribute beyond memories.

I dont say that in anyway to imply we dont miss Bob being here, or to minimise the effect of the absence of Bob in HRT has had, far from it..... but I can still pick up a phone and ring Bob or email him, (both of which I do).

How about a "what would Bob have said to Mike" angle....
Old 22 Dec 2022, 07:19 (Ref:4137827)   #1703
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd vote for "Idle Chatter" or something along that line, it's less clique-y. Or go back to "Tea Break Natter" but without attribution. I certainly don't think we should have in-jokes in the title.

BTW next year sees my 20th Anniversary of joining this august community and some of you go back further. How time flies. When I joined the general chat thread was "The Lighter Side" which was pretty welcoming to a newcomer although it still took some time before I contributed because I wasn't sure I belonged or was welcome in the group.

One thing I'd like to be able to do is change my screen name. Whilst my screen name is becoming more relevant again, there are online communities that are insisting on real names from now on and I've been persuaded that's a good thing. Everyone calls me Max on here anyway so can I ditch Midgetman? Assumed names are so 2003! (Plus I get confused easily when chats switch between the two)

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

Last edited by midgetman; 22 Dec 2022 at 07:28.
Old 22 Dec 2022, 07:36 (Ref:4137829)   #1704
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post

Andy, the price seems good of course strange it does not go (this one seems avalaible: https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1433981).
Given the price of FIA MGBs as a comparison, I would have thought this one would have been snapped up.
Old 22 Dec 2022, 08:42 (Ref:4137832)   #1705
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Regarding the discussion about the thread title - I can see how it is a tricky consideration.

Looking back at the origins - the first inclincation of where these threads were heading was in Dec 2008 'Idea for 2009': "There is a school of thought that all the threads end up as a private forum of about 5 people sharing in jokes which rarely have any relevance to the thread.
All of the current threads have gone round in a circle and have sadly lost some interesting and relevant posters as a result..."

At the time - a few posters made comments such as:
"I do wonder whether all the 'in' gossip puts others off from joining us"
"I find some of the "in crowd" banter rather boring and tedious"
"you tend to get a clique and it can be difficult to get into that clique"

If the next thread is referencing someone who no longer posts and has decided to leave the forum, is that not even more 'cliquey' and goes against the entire spirit of these threads in the first place?
Old 22 Dec 2022, 09:18 (Ref:4137833)   #1706
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I'd vote for "Idle Chatter" or something along that line, it's less clique-y. Or go back to "Tea Break Natter" but without attribution. I certainly don't think we should have in-jokes in the title.

BTW next year sees my 20th Anniversary of joining this august community and some of you go back further. How time flies. When I joined the general chat thread was "The Lighter Side" which was pretty welcoming to a newcomer although it still took some time before I contributed because I wasn't sure I belonged or was welcome in the group.

One thing I'd like to be able to do is change my screen name. Whilst my screen name is becoming more relevant again, there are online communities that are insisting on real names from now on and I've been persuaded that's a good thing. Everyone calls me Max on here anyway so can I ditch Midgetman? Assumed names are so 2003! (Plus I get confused easily when chats switch between the two)

Agree that it’s time to end the personal/ in-joke references. Any of your suggestions would be good.
Old 22 Dec 2022, 11:42 (Ref:4137838)   #1707
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree with the last few posts. Max's 'Idle Chatter' seems good or may I suggest 'Tappet Talk'? Anything that is general and less personal would seem appropriate for a general chat thread.

May I take this opportunity of wishing you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 22 Dec 2022, 14:30 (Ref:4137853)   #1708
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
I agree with the last few posts. Max's 'Idle Chatter' seems good or may I suggest 'Tappet Talk'? Anything that is general and less personal would seem appropriate for a general chat thread.

May I take this opportunity of wishing you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
I thought of Tappet Talk but ISTR a printed article being published under that name some while ago so i avoided it.

And compliments of the season to you, too, JT.
Old 22 Dec 2022, 14:33 (Ref:4137855)   #1709
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Regarding the discussion about the thread title - I can see how it is a tricky consideration.

Looking back at the origins - the first inclincation of where these threads were heading was in Dec 2008 'Idea for 2009': "There is a school of thought that all the threads end up as a private forum of about 5 people sharing in jokes which rarely have any relevance to the thread.
All of the current threads have gone round in a circle and have sadly lost some interesting and relevant posters as a result..."

At the time - a few posters made comments such as:
"I do wonder whether all the 'in' gossip puts others off from joining us"
"I find some of the "in crowd" banter rather boring and tedious"
"you tend to get a clique and it can be difficult to get into that clique"

If the next thread is referencing someone who no longer posts and has decided to leave the forum, is that not even more 'cliquey' and goes against the entire spirit of these threads in the first place?
Agree with all the above.
Old 22 Dec 2022, 14:35 (Ref:4137856)   #1710
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post

What about "Idling"?
Old 22 Dec 2022, 15:13 (Ref:4137866)   #1711
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Any of your suggestions would be good.
Are you sure you know what you're wishing for, Andy? Anyway, since Mr Tyler's last post, visits have increased by 25%!
Old 22 Dec 2022, 15:16 (Ref:4137867)   #1712
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
What about "Idling"?
What about "Pedal to the metal"?
Old 22 Dec 2022, 15:28 (Ref:4137870)   #1713
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
What about "Talking Bollxxxs
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Dec 2022, 15:29 (Ref:4137871)   #1714
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Twenty-twenty-three, Twenty-twenty-tea break?
Old 22 Dec 2022, 16:17 (Ref:4137880)   #1715
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Just been out shopping with SWMBO, to a well known food hall, where they were stacking the shelves with loads of eggs, also just laong from that particular aisle there were shelves full of turkeys/turkey crowns etc. I mentioned the shortages to one of the assistants, who told me that they did run out of eggs a few days ago but she thought that was due to panic buying.

Anyone else think this bird flu thing is being manipulated by the retailers? I recognise that the disease is causing a problem to farmers.
Eggs still a little rare in soe outlets around here.

I think that most of retailers try to use relatively local suppliers for eggs and some of them are quite dominant suppliers in local markets. If they have a bird-flu problem or simply decide that the increased costs of feed and energy is more loss-making than failing to deliver against their contracts on the basis of health risks, local outlets may struggle to obtain alternative supplies at a quantity and price they are prepared to support.

As for Turkeys, a couple of smaller outlets for national brands local to me seemed, yesterday, to have adequate choice available and I saw a new headline and sub-heading yesterday that suggested there may be a glut of turkey based Christmas meal options available, notably for turkey breasts if my quick glance read it effectively.

Presumably, enough people who go for annual big family gatherings are hedging their economic bets, adding in the potential for very disrupted travel, etc., and going for something smaller and more flexible as a food source.

Just maybe the proportion of the population fixated on Turkey for Xmas has also declined recently. All in all a difficult market for producers to read.

I see that there are also some options for Xmas-meal based pot noodles Think of all the washing up that would save!
Old 22 Dec 2022, 16:20 (Ref:4137881)   #1716
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post

We need to compare it to the 5 year average ...
Old 22 Dec 2022, 16:33 (Ref:4137882)   #1717
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
What about "Talking Bollxxxs
That goes without saying.
Old 22 Dec 2022, 16:37 (Ref:4137884)   #1718
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Tell you what, I'll set up a poll with the most suitable titles from this thread posted from today onwards. Then you can vote on which one you want. Ill set the poll up tomorrow evening. It will close on 30 December at midnight.
Old 22 Dec 2022, 18:06 (Ref:4137889)   #1719
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very diplomatic Peter, as usual
Old 22 Dec 2022, 19:01 (Ref:4137893)   #1720
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
My last one: old love never rust.
Old 22 Dec 2022, 20:31 (Ref:4137901)   #1721
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've spent a lot of time this year trying to get rid of things to do with tappets and chatter. My suggestion therefore is "Full Chat" or perhaps given the stats quoted earlier "Half Chat"

Re Max's request, years ago, when still a lurker and not yet a poster, it was John Ruston's grumpy take on silly names that caused me to use a proper name. Most of the others I've been called wouldn't have made it past the mods anyway
Old 22 Dec 2022, 22:01 (Ref:4137908)   #1722
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Old Gits' Corner."

Of course, that may offend the younger posters... but I'm not sure there are any?
Old 22 Dec 2022, 22:11 (Ref:4137909)   #1723
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
That's as bad as Chatty Mc Chatface! OMG What have I done?
Old 22 Dec 2022, 22:30 (Ref:4137910)   #1724
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
"Old Gits' Corner."

Of course, that may offend the younger posters... but I'm not sure there are any?
No! Just nooooooooooo!

Old 22 Dec 2022, 22:40 (Ref:4137911)   #1725
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post

Re Max's request, years ago, when still a lurker and not yet a poster, it was John Ruston's grumpy take on silly names that caused me to use a proper name. Most of the others I've been called wouldn't have made it past the mods anyway
Yes the world has changed since I joined, when anonymity was de rigeur. I've had my name in my signature for some time, but my signature doesn't show up on Tapatalk which I use on my phone. It can probably be changed but.......

I hardly ever use my PC these days, so much of my business from copy writing and social posting to sales admin are covered by apps on my phone. Hence the high number of Tapatalk posts by me.