Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 24 Dec 2022, 16:54 (Ref:4138107)   #1776
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Another D Type with GC and the Mazda. At last a Ferrari P4 thanks to morninggents, nothing avant garde, not a surprise in this part of the forum.
Old 24 Dec 2022, 17:43 (Ref:4138110)   #1777
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Another D Type with GC and the Mazda. At last a Ferrari P4 thanks to morninggents, nothing avant garde, not a surprise in this part of the forum.
Something avant-garde? How about the 24-litre Napier-Railton?

I can remember it thundering past the pits at Snett.
Old 24 Dec 2022, 17:59 (Ref:4138111)   #1778
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If anyone is at a loss for something to do in the next couple of days this should pass an hour and a bit.

3 former (and one semi-current?) McLaren people discussing the MP4-4 of 1988.

https://youtu.be/xRtjeWsIscc

An hour and a quarter - but it seems much shorter.

In any event there are no excuses not to watch it after any family Christmas activities are over!
Old 24 Dec 2022, 18:32 (Ref:4138113)   #1779
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Thats good info, Grant.
ISTR reading that Derek Gardner(& others presumably) did some of the work in Derek’s garage at home.
There’s s new book on the Tyrrell team coming out in July 2023, by a Richard Jenkins, which is supposed to include previously little known stories, eg the fact that the 008 was conceived from the start to be a “fan car” but they couldnt get the fan to work reliably.
I also understand that the original Tyrrell shed may be be relocated to Goodwood.
I am on the Tyrrell Racing Organisation FB site where several previous employees often pop up with a story or two.
I had not heard about a new book.

Many of the people I knew back then have probably left us by now.

The P34 launch was an interesting day.

At one of the big hotels at Heathrow.

We took a 007 and the P34 prototype. They were set up on low temporary plinths - some sort of wooden boxes as I recall - and covered with a typical launch cover sheet.

Someone had made a couple of rounded infills to fit between the front wheels of the P34 such that when covered by the sheet it looked like a regular 4 wheel car.

The Sporting Director from ELF, who knew what to expect, flew over from Paris with a load of journalists who were picked up from the plane and taken to the hotel.

Someone had found, late in the day, a rather elderly and somewhat tatty coach in something very close to the Tyrrell blue colour and with the unusual feature of 3 axles with 4 wheel steering.

So as the French journalists got on the coach the ELF Director was making jokes about "only the British would design a bus with stupid 4 wheel steering", etc.

Jackie Stewart was on hand for the day and started the presentation with a reference to the 007 as the existing car used for most of the previous 2 years.

And then the covers were taken of off the P35, starting at the back, which looked totally normal being more or less an 007 anyway, and rolling it to the front making sure that the false wheel "bulge" was lifted with the cover, revealing the small front wheels and the very narrow front track of the prototype.

Gasps all around, a short somewhat shocked silence, followed by all sorts of reactions including laughter.

Various presentations and Q&A sessions followed, some refreshments and so on and off they wall went, back onto the silly bus with 4 wheel steering and a return flight to France.

We extracted the cars, loaded up the Transporter and the Tranny and trailer and headed off to the BBC studios where Bob Wellings interviewed JYS as part of the early evening magazine-style program, with the cars in the studio for visuals.

Program over, we extracted the cars, put them back in the transport and managed to get back into the Green Room to enjoy further BBC hospitality for a while until we were kicked out because they had someone more important to take occupancy.

It was a long but fun day.
Old 24 Dec 2022, 18:48 (Ref:4138114)   #1780
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I had not heard about a new book.

Many of the people I knew back then have probably left us by now.

The P34 launch was an interesting day.

At one of the big hotels at Heathrow.

We took a 007 and the P34 prototype. They were set up on low temporary plinths - some sort of wooden boxes as I recall - and covered with a typical launch cover sheet.

Someone had made a couple of rounded infills to fit between the front wheels of the P34 such that when covered by the sheet it looked like a regular 4 wheel car.

The Sporting Director from ELF, who knew what to expect, flew over from Paris with a load of journalists who were picked up from the plane and taken to the hotel.

Someone had found, late in the day, a rather elderly and somewhat tatty coach in something very close to the Tyrrell blue colour and with the unusual feature of 3 axles with 4 wheel steering.

So as the French journalists got on the coach the ELF Director was making jokes about "only the British would design a bus with stupid 4 wheel steering", etc.

Jackie Stewart was on hand for the day and started the presentation with a reference to the 007 as the existing car used for most of the previous 2 years.

And then the covers were taken of off the P35, starting at the back, which looked totally normal being more or less an 007 anyway, and rolling it to the front making sure that the false wheel "bulge" was lifted with the cover, revealing the small front wheels and the very narrow front track of the prototype.

Gasps all around, a short somewhat shocked silence, followed by all sorts of reactions including laughter.

Various presentations and Q&A sessions followed, some refreshments and so on and off they wall went, back onto the silly bus with 4 wheel steering and a return flight to France.

We extracted the cars, loaded up the Transporter and the Tranny and trailer and headed off to the BBC studios where Bob Wellings interviewed JYS as part of the early evening magazine-style program, with the cars in the studio for visuals.

Program over, we extracted the cars, put them back in the transport and managed to get back into the Green Room to enjoy further BBC hospitality for a while until we were kicked out because they had someone more important to take occupancy.

It was a long but fun day.
Another good story, Grant.
Not sure whether you do FB but you should join the Tyrrell Racing Organisation FB site and share these stories.
People would be very interested.
Book due out in July 23
Old 24 Dec 2022, 19:52 (Ref:4138117)   #1781
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Another good story, Grant.
Not sure whether you do FB but you should join the Tyrrell Racing Organisation FB site and share these stories.
People would be very interested.
Book due out in July 23
I've so far managed to avoid FB, Andy. But it sounds like I will have to take a look.

I think it was a few days after the launch that the prototype was taken to Silverstone for a shakedown test but with the main objective of seeing if the expected speed advantage of the narrow front track was reality.

They ran P34 and, at some point, an 007 as well. This was the old Silverstone before they mucked about with Woodcote, so the entry to Woodcote was one of the fasted parts of the circuit and convenient for setting up a speed trap just before the braking point for the corner. So that was just after the bridge at that time.

I was sent to try to capture some speeds so sat there freezing for some time as the usual stop/start aspect of testing activity continued.

I don't recall the exact numbers but my recollection was that 007 was running at about 165 to 168 at the point selected and the P34 was about 10mph faster. Whatever the actual speeds, P34 was indeed faster in that configuration.

However, by the time the first race car was produced the bodywork and other aspects had changed or were about to change and when watching GPs on the TV there rarely seemed to be a speed differential to other cars in evidence.

By the time it went to a race I had left and was working for ELF.
Old 24 Dec 2022, 20:31 (Ref:4138118)   #1782
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy christmas to all on here. I hope we all get what was on our wish lists. I can't wait to see if I've got the keys to the 250 GTO.
Old 24 Dec 2022, 20:33 (Ref:4138119)   #1783
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Happy christmas to all on here. I hope we all get what was on our wish lists. I can't wait to see if I've got the keys to the 250 GTO.
Happy Christmas!

If you find you have the keys, which part of the GTO would you like to get next year?
Old 24 Dec 2022, 21:31 (Ref:4138120)   #1784
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy Christmas one & all!

As for the 10 cars to own list - just off the top of my head, and in no particular order, so I reserve the right to amend and make additions/deductions as necessary...

Cobra Daytona coupe
Ford GT40
MG Metro 6R4
Lola T70 Mk3 coupe
TVR Tuscan 'Challenge'
Lancia Stratos
Ferrari 250 GT SWB
BMW CSL 'Batmobile'
Pretty well any F5000 car
Jaguar XJ12C 'Broadspeed'

Aw, hell, that's 10 already. Damn! Gonna need a bigger allowance please?
Old 24 Dec 2022, 22:00 (Ref:4138123)   #1785
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Happy Christmas to all on 10/10ths
Click image for larger version

Name:	gordon (2).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	76531
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Dec 2022, 23:51 (Ref:4138125)   #1786
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I've so far managed to avoid FB, Andy. But it sounds like I will have to take a look.

I think it was a few days after the launch that the prototype was taken to Silverstone for a shakedown test but with the main objective of seeing if the expected speed advantage of the narrow front track was reality.

They ran P34 and, at some point, an 007 as well. This was the old Silverstone before they mucked about with Woodcote, so the entry to Woodcote was one of the fasted parts of the circuit and convenient for setting up a speed trap just before the braking point for the corner. So that was just after the bridge at that time.

I was sent to try to capture some speeds so sat there freezing for some time as the usual stop/start aspect of testing activity continued.

I don't recall the exact numbers but my recollection was that 007 was running at about 165 to 168 at the point selected and the P34 was about 10mph faster. Whatever the actual speeds, P34 was indeed faster in that configuration.

However, by the time the first race car was produced the bodywork and other aspects had changed or were about to change and when watching GPs on the TV there rarely seemed to be a speed differential to other cars in evidence.

By the time it went to a race I had left and was working for ELF.
I really do understand the reluctance to use FB but the TyrrellRacing Organsiation page has, I think, 8000 enthusiasts who belong to it, including several ex employees, and I am sure that your recollections would be well received on there, and would add to the understanding of the team’s history.
Old 25 Dec 2022, 02:54 (Ref:4138137)   #1787
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Happy Christmas one & all!

As for the 10 cars to own list - just off the top of my head, and in no particular order, so I reserve the right to amend and make additions/deductions as necessary...

Cobra Daytona coupe
Ford GT40
MG Metro 6R4
Lola T70 Mk3 coupe
TVR Tuscan 'Challenge'
Lancia Stratos
Ferrari 250 GT SWB
BMW CSL 'Batmobile'
Pretty well any F5000 car
Jaguar XJ12C 'Broadspeed'

Aw, hell, that's 10 already. Damn! Gonna need a bigger allowance please?

Can't really argue with any of those, my friend......

But there are no Alfas.......

so I've got to replace the plastic fantastic 6R4 with say an Alfa GTAm, the F5000, which never floated my boat, with the BTCC Alfa 155, and agonise about whether a D-type is more meritorious than an XJ12C.....

Ah, shucks - there is never going to be a big enough number to accommodate the cars we love......
Old 25 Dec 2022, 05:51 (Ref:4138146)   #1788
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Happy Christmas!

If you find you have the keys, which part of the GTO would you like to get next year?
The ultimate part work magazine? "In just one thousand editions build your own GTO. First issue £2.99, £2,000 each thereafter."

Happy Christmas one and all. Why does my body not realise I don't have to get up today? Here I am wide awake in the dark on the one day I don't need to be.

May you have a calm and peaceful day of rest.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 25 Dec 2022, 09:15 (Ref:4138149)   #1789
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Name:  merry-christmas-animated_all_things_personalised_2010.gif
Views: 98
Size:  70.9 KB
Old 25 Dec 2022, 09:18 (Ref:4138150)   #1790
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Happy Christmas everyone. Hope everyone has enjoyed their year
Old 25 Dec 2022, 09:59 (Ref:4138155)   #1791
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 25 Dec 2022, 10:48 (Ref:4138157)   #1792
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Happy Christmas!

Ha! Nice one Grant.

Unfortunately neither the keys nor the car were delivered. Perhaps I set my sights a tad high.
Old 25 Dec 2022, 11:43 (Ref:4138163)   #1793
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Merry Christmas everyone!
May this one bring you the keys!
Old 30 Dec 2022, 18:27 (Ref:4138513)   #1794
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thought I'd like to use this thread one last time before the Mods call time on it.

One more day of work tomorrow for me then back home in time for the big New Year "celebration". What's everyone doing? It's been a busy 'Twixtmas so I'll probably be asleep well before the chimes.

If I don't get chance to post tomorrow, Happy New Year everyone and let's hope 2023 is filled with fragrant smells of burning rubber and hot oil. Bring on the racing!

Old 30 Dec 2022, 18:53 (Ref:4138515)   #1795
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Amid the media blitz of grief about Pele and Vivien Westwood, I'm sad to say that I also have to advise that Michael Lindsay, who has been a major presence in the AROC and subsequently ARCA racing circles for more years than I can remember, passed away on Wednesday, having been ill for some time. His knowledge of Alfas and their competitors was pretty well unsurpassed, and race commentators will surely miss his input in years to come. RIP Michael.
Old 30 Dec 2022, 19:38 (Ref:4138517)   #1796
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Amid the media blitz of grief about Pele and Vivien Westwood, I'm sad to say that I also have to advise that Michael Lindsay, who has been a major presence in the AROC and subsequently ARCA racing circles for more years than I can remember, passed away on Wednesday, having been ill for some time. His knowledge of Alfas and their competitors was pretty well unsurpassed, and race commentators will surely miss his input in years to come. RIP Michael.
Beaten me too it by 5 minutes! It is a very sad loss indeed for the Alfa world. I had known Michael for about 40 years & meeting up with him was always a pleasure. He was the fount of knowledge of all things Alfa, an unsurpassed knowledge.
Old 30 Dec 2022, 19:38 (Ref:4138518)   #1797
midgetman
Veteran

I saw that on FB. Condolences to everyone who knew him, I don't know where the replacements for such long serving characters are coming from.

Old 30 Dec 2022, 20:12 (Ref:4138522)   #1798
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I saw that on FB. Condolences to everyone who knew him, I don't know where the replacements for such long serving characters are coming from.

It's certainly very difficult to replace the knowledge. Michael was a great help to me on various things over the years. I first joined the Alfa Club in 1981 & have been friendly with him ever since. He has a most impressive library too!
Old 31 Dec 2022, 10:05 (Ref:4138549)   #1799
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know whether it was posted on here but another sad loss recently and totally out of the blue was Simon Arron the journalist and complete petrolhead.
Old 31 Dec 2022, 10:22 (Ref:4138550)   #1800
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Beaten me too it by 5 minutes! It is a very sad loss indeed for the Alfa world. I had known Michael for about 40 years & meeting up with him was always a pleasure. He was the fount of knowledge of all things Alfa, an unsurpassed knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

Yes I'll add my condolences, the loss of another font of knowledge who along with others will be irreplaceable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I don't know whether it was posted on here but another sad loss recently and totally out of the blue was Simon Arron the journalist and complete petrolhead.
Yes he suffered a short illness. Again we lose someone who was the ultimate enthusiast. He loved Oulton Park most. IIRC he had a column in Autosport back in the 80s entitled "Arront Nonesense". Always good for paddock gossip.