Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2001, 02:40 (Ref:97590)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If I were Sir Frank;

I'd be seriously wondering exactly what I had been smoking when I got rid of a reasonably talented, thinking, young driver and replaced him with a total dork with a loud mouth. Or am I missing something here?

Whilst I am sorry to see Ralf retire, if JPM had kept his head he may well have got that podium.

I expect most people will probably think I'm daft but surely if you are racing on a track with no overtaking you just have to hang in there and wait to pick up the places. Why bother trying to pressurise your team mate (who is lying third) when all you have to do is hold position, keep everybody else back and if you're lucky you can pick up a podium if someone else falls off.

Not our saviour Montoya.

He forgets that points mean prizes and goes hell for leather into the barrier.

I bet Eddie Irvine is thanking JPM today.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 28 May 2001 at 02:41.
Old 28 May 2001, 02:51 (Ref:97591)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Re: If I were Sir Frank;

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
I'd be seriously wondering exactly what I had been smoking when I got rid of a reasonably talented, thinking, young driver and replaced him with a total dork with a loud mouth. Or am I missing something here?
Am I missing something here Peter? What reasonably talented driver are we speaking of? Is it Zanardi, Hill, or Jacques you speak of?

You can't possibly be talking about Button-Nose. The guy who could describe in great detail what the back of a Prost, Arrows and even Alonso's Minardi look like. The only car he could'nt describe is Fisi's because he's too far ahead.

As for 'God' *sarcastic tone now* your absolutely right, yet another rookie mistake. Settle down Juan, you have to finish to prove you are the great one.
Old 28 May 2001, 02:56 (Ref:97593)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nope I don't mean AZ or JV. Make your own mind up.
Old 28 May 2001, 03:03 (Ref:97594)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Peter, I think JPM was very angry and blamed himself for his mistake. I seem to remember some not so rookie drivers who had the race won in Monaco when they crashed into the armco right near the end - can't remember who they were, maybe Dino can help
Old 28 May 2001, 03:10 (Ref:97595)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Senna for one, but I'm not just thinking about Monaco, what about the other races this season. (Don't even think of Brazil as unlucky) I just don't see this fantastic racer. All I see is a complete dork.

You can be as angry with yourself as you like. To throw away races like he keeps doing is not the mark of a future champion. And really whether we like it or not Button was a complete novice last year and yet he did run well with a lot less mistakes.

No matter how you cut it you can't call JPM a novice. Therefore I have no sympathy for him.
Old 28 May 2001, 03:32 (Ref:97597)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Senna for one, but I'm not just thinking about Monaco, what about the other races this season. (Don't even think of Brazil as unlucky) I just don't see this fantastic racer. All I see is a complete dork.

You can be as angry with yourself as you like. To throw away races like he keeps doing is not the mark of a future champion. And really whether we like it or not Button was a complete novice last year and yet he did run well with a lot less mistakes.

No matter how you cut it you can't call JPM a novice. Therefore I have no sympathy for him.
Neither do I , Peter, but I wouldn't call him a complete dork yet. Some of teh DNF's were not his fault. JPM is very talented - so just give him a little more time.

BTW, I am sure Senna wasn't hte only one, I can remember some others also did the harikiri with the armco at Monaco, but are still aclaimed as great. I also don't seem to remembr JPM attacking Ralf.
Old 28 May 2001, 04:11 (Ref:97607)   #7
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fastest lap and then wham! into the armco!...amateur stuff!
Old 28 May 2001, 04:15 (Ref:97608)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I know many of you are going to SCREAM at me for this..

IMHO Sir Frank Williams has made a mistake hiring Montoya..Ralf tried to tell him that in a very subtle way..

Last edited by JeremySmith; 28 May 2001 at 04:16.
Old 28 May 2001, 07:12 (Ref:97645)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Here we go with the excuses

Quote:
from Autorace.com
Williams driver, Juan Pablo Montoya said after the Austrian GP that there is a lot of things going on at the moment in the team that he is not happy with.

He was quoted: "I don't think I get any less than Ralf, but with him having the experience, the team at this point is around him. He is not more of a voice, but he has just a little bit more, especially with BMW."
Well Juan, he does have the runs (and a win) on the board.
Quote:
In an interview with BBC, the team's technical director Patrick Head denied that Montoya is the victim of inside politics. He said: "Ralf is in his fifth season of F1, and his fourth of using grooved tyres, so it would be wrong to expect Juan Pablo to be as astute as Ralf in making judgements about the set-up of his car. The media are looking at Juan Pablo as the new messiah, a man who will take it to Michael Schumacher. Certainly he has that level of ability, but it is a pretty high expectation of him. Juan Pablo won everything in his first year of Cart. He doesn't come here expecting to learn. He wants to be on the front row at every race. That's the level of expectation he puts on himself".
As much as I hoped he would do this, is he being delusional thinking he would walk into F1 and dominate similar to CART. He's dealing with the best in the world now, not the retired drivers wasteland that CART is today.

Alonso, Kimi - you are sensational. Montoya, only compared to Zanardi are you not a disappointment.
Old 28 May 2001, 07:21 (Ref:97649)   #10
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"All I see is a complete dork."

I second that.
Old 28 May 2001, 07:58 (Ref:97667)   #11
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's not dork but raw stuff now. If Sir Frand has enough patience he may educate great driver.
Old 28 May 2001, 08:01 (Ref:97669)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by RussianFriend
He's not dork but raw stuff now. If Sir Frand has enough patience he may educate great driver.
Sorry Russian Lady. If he's a great driver he dooesn't need education. But as you so rightly point out, he does need educating.

Therefore he's a dork.
Old 28 May 2001, 08:35 (Ref:97690)   #13
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now Now people, Jaun is doing OK. How did Ralf do in his sixth race. He could only have dreamt of running fourth on the track and spent most of his life during a GP playing in the sand.

And yet he won a race.

Fear not JPM.
Old 28 May 2001, 09:14 (Ref:97699)   #14
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Piter,

Sir Frank doesn't mind to be a teacher. He's old enough and has strongly tendency to share his experience. Maybe he needs some young energy in his team, which makes him feel fresher. So Monty with his south temperament is what the doctor has ordered.
Old 28 May 2001, 09:22 (Ref:97704)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm.

Hardly a business plan is it?
Old 28 May 2001, 09:28 (Ref:97708)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Moff,

I thought I responded to you on that post. Seems its disappeared into the ether or somewhere.

Your point is not really valid is it? If you class Montoya as a novice like Ralf was in his seventh race then ok. But he isn't. He's just one more overblown hyped ex-cart driver who thinks he can beat the best in the world. A loud mouthed dork then.

(Where's Liz BTW?)
Old 28 May 2001, 10:35 (Ref:97722)   #17
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neutral
"All I see is a complete dork."

I second that.
Not so strikes again!! Go carry on your Schumacher worship, if you have nothing constructive to say.

Firstly anyone remember Monaco 1996 when Schmacherwent into the wall on lap one from second place?

Secondly Montoya is still learning F1 and is looking considerably more impressive in his first year than Ralf ever did, give the bloke a chance will you.
Old 28 May 2001, 10:58 (Ref:97730)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Damon,

You obviously haven't read any of my previous posts in other threads. I have never worshipped Schumacher, nor do I see any reason to give a guy (JPM) who claims to be as good as the best, a break. He has so far given notice that he is going to kick some butt.

So far he's managed to screw up BIG TIME in six out of seven races (and I'm not totally convinced of his innocence in Brazil).

Patrick Head (a man who is respected all along the pitlane) seems to have JPM summed up well. He's trying far too hard to impress. A driver who is supposedly that good should let his driving do the talking not his mouth ("I'm not scared of MS" etc.)
Old 28 May 2001, 11:02 (Ref:97732)   #19
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Peter,

As Damon above me here has said, JPM is in his first year of F1 (racing rather than testing) and is a 'rookie' in the American sense of the word. It is true he has trounced Ralf result wise in his first seven races. Does anybody think it will take JPM four plus long years to score his first win in F1?

I don't.
Old 28 May 2001, 11:24 (Ref:97742)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I don't believe he's trounced Ralf. I also don't believe it'll take him four years because

A) The Williams is much more competitive than the Jordan which Ralf drove and;

B) He will learn to control his temper or he'll be sacked.

So, if he does control himself he'll make a good second string driver but a champion? Never.

If he doesn't control himself then its back to the backwater of Cart.

Now where have I seen that scenario before?
Old 28 May 2001, 11:35 (Ref:97750)   #21
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DORK IT IS!!!!!!!!

I'am a BMW fan I'am know a willams fan because of BMW
I'am most of all a Ralf fan . but I'am with Ray (again) on this JPM has done nothing but fail this year so far sure some good moments but if a report card was due for WILLAMS drivers JPM would have a big "F"
and Ralf would have the "P" and it will conintue thsi way for the rest of the year
The word ROOKIE is being useed loosely when it come to JPM a cart champ carn't be a ROOKIE no more then mansell was when he swapped
and speaking of rookies & report card's the ROOKIES one a only "P" would go to Kimi by far

JPM a threat to RALF I think not
JPM a threat to TGF please don't make me LAUGH

so DORK IT IS
Old 28 May 2001, 11:39 (Ref:97751)   #22
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I remember correctly, Button by his own admission never drove the car last year to it's limits. In contrast it would appear that Montoya is taking his beyond the limits. So if anything this just says to me that two rookie drivers approached their first years differently. Button chose to sneak up on the limit, while as Montoya is choosing to confront it head on and see where it hits back the hardest. This aggressive attitude is something that Sir Frank has shown a marked admiration for in the past, and could have been one reason why he sent Button away and gave Montoya the seat.
So in conclusion, If I were Sir Frank what i would do, would be to drop Ralf and see if I could get Fisichella. Because he's already shown up Ralf (at Jordan) and it would appear he has the measure of Button at Benneton. Who knows maybe Button is still sneaking up on those limits.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 28 May 2001, 11:45 (Ref:97755)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Tee Hee,

Then he'd have two drivers throwing it at the wall. Still I suppose on that basis they'd have less relaibility problems due to the shorter running times.

I think we are confusinfg aggression with skill.

Alan Jones, Keke Rosberg and Nigel Mansell were all extremely aggressive. What hey weren't is wayward and unthinking (although Mansell had his moments). What JPM is at the moment is a dork. Pure and simple.

(What makes you think I don't like over hyped, over blown big mouths?)

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 28 May 2001 at 11:46.
Old 28 May 2001, 11:45 (Ref:97756)   #24
Airhead
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
So in conclusion, If I were Sir Frank what i would do, would be to drop Ralf and see if I could get Fisichella. Because he's already shown up Ralf (at Jordan) and it would appear he has the measure of Button at Benneton.

This post is full of the most inspired brilliance I have ever read within the hallowed walls of this forum.

Enemy my man(?) I take my hat of to you. Fantastic insight, simply stunning analysis - and bloody good diction too without any spelling mistakes.

So if you would allow me to wrap up:

RALF SUCKS.
Old 28 May 2001, 11:59 (Ref:97764)   #25
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AMoffat

BLAH BLAH BLAH.

So if you would allow me to wrap up:

RALF RULES.

Go Moff Dude