Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 9 Aug 2011, 18:48 (Ref:2937735)   #401
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Disagree
There wouldn't be a WEC if it wasn't for the the ALMS. But it's not as straight forward as the former taking entries away from the latter, without the WEC manufactuers may have left the sport altogether.

The international sportscar grid was in FIA GT, decamped to the ALMS, and now the WEC.

IMO, the ALMS needs to gather it's own momentum or focus all of it's resources on a handful of races as part of a larger WEC schedule.
Old 9 Aug 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2937800)   #402
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
It' a nice track but Peugeot is much keener to go racing in Brazil I guess, it's one of their most important markets.

Same goes for Audi I think, Brazil is just a more interesting market for the manufacturers overall.
You must consider that a race in Brazil has a large impact in Brazil, but not that much in the rest of the continent. A race in Argentina will get serious television coverage in all the continent if there's an agreement with Fox Sports (see Rally Dakar) or ESPN (Rugby World Cup).

Also, Potrero de los Funes is very close to Santiago de Chile. That's a very strong luxury car market.
Old 10 Aug 2011, 19:10 (Ref:2938232)   #403
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Whats to stop a WEC team from pulling outta the championship , once Le mans has been and gone ?

For example , just like ASM Quifel . Missed every race since Le mans and have now pulled the plug ..... although I dont blame them with that peice of junk they have at present .

As for a race in India ..... Im well interested in that .
Old 10 Aug 2011, 19:37 (Ref:2938241)   #404
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Whats to stop a WEC team from pulling outta the championship , once Le mans has been and gone ?
Sitting on millions of pounds worth of equipment with little chance of having your WEC entry accepted for the following year.
Old 10 Aug 2011, 19:58 (Ref:2938248)   #405
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

For example , just like ASM Quifel . Missed every race since Le mans and have now pulled the plug ..... although I dont blame them with that peice of junk they have at present .

As for a race in India ..... Im well interested in that .
I am sure I read that the teams get 'fined' for missing races.

Tom.
Old 10 Aug 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2938253)   #406
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Sitting on millions of pounds worth of equipment with little chance of having your WEC entry accepted for the following year.
I´m not sure the WEC alone will be in a position to turn down prototype entries for the first few years...
Old 10 Aug 2011, 20:13 (Ref:2938255)   #407
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I´m not sure the WEC alone will be in a position to turn down prototype entries for the first few years...
I thought the point of the WEC was to include prototypes?
Old 10 Aug 2011, 20:37 (Ref:2938265)   #408
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
I am sure I read that the teams get 'fined' for missing races.

Tom.
Yeah , 30 grand a race . But that hasnt stopped some teams from doing just that , missing races .

There was a waiver for teams with "NEW" cars , to miss Sebring , but that was it , only for Sebring . That Hope Polevision , AMR and ASM must have to cough up a few shiny pennys by now .
Old 10 Aug 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2938266)   #409
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
There was a waiver for teams with "NEW" cars , to miss Sebring , but that was it , only for Sebring . That Hope Polevision , AMR and ASM must have to cough up a few shiny pennys by now .
Uh... Quifel-ASM is not a ILMC entry mate, they don't have to pay that fine as far as I'm aware. At least I don't know of fines for LMS-only entrants missing LMS races.
Old 10 Aug 2011, 20:54 (Ref:2938272)   #410
The Badger
Veteran

Ok , my mistake .
Old 11 Aug 2011, 04:46 (Ref:2938358)   #411
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I thought the point of the WEC was to include prototypes?
Yes, of course, but the thought could be that the WEC may have to accept even questionable entries because their entry lists could be pretty thin now that they won't have full-time LMS teams filling up the grid. This could also be a problem if they do standalone American races without the ALMS. It already is a problem of sorts with China. We'll have to see what happens in that regard. It's possible that a number of LMS teams will enter as guests for the European WEC rounds, we'll see.

The LMP1 car count will probably be pretty good, but I'm not so sure what to expect from LMP2 and GTE. As BMW pointed out, the European/WEC focus on LMP1 to the extreme can be a turn off for LMP2 and GTE teams.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 05:07 (Ref:2938364)   #412
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking about the LMP1 car count for next year and it seems pretty low to me. 6 factory entrants from Audi-Peugeot-AMR are to be expected, hopefully at least one of the other rumoured manufacturers will make it (Nissan, Toyota, Wirth with whoever), but it still feels like the few serious privateers left should be taken into consideration if we don't want the P1 grid to be in the single digits. Rebellion and Pescarolo are highly capable teams, but both seem unlikely to fully commit giving what little return they're getting for their efforts this year and how their situation is evolving. Rebellion must be changing now that Hugh is gone (commitments were already made for this year when it happened) and thinking of doing things differently (drivers -at the very least - should change) and Pescarolo keeps having a hard time getting significant sponsorship in his home country because France finds motor racing ringard (lousy). How can they be convinced and encouraged to embark on a world tour if they are set to be completely destroyed by the factory teams once again? (yeah I know I'm forgetting possible single entries from small outfits like Strakka and Hope)
Old 11 Aug 2011, 07:06 (Ref:2938375)   #413
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
Rebellion must be changing now that Hugh is gone (commitments were already made for this year when it happened) and thinking of doing things differently (drivers -at the very least - should change).....
No reason for anything to change at Rebellion, Bart is an exceptionally capable and well established team boss.

Driver changes for next year? I'd say there's one very obvious candidate for non-renewal of contract, but just one.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 07:35 (Ref:2938381)   #414
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Driver changes for next year? I'd say there's one very obvious candidate for non-renewal of contract, but just one.
Yeah, that particular candidate has been *digging* around gravel traps a bit too much this year...
Old 11 Aug 2011, 12:17 (Ref:2938466)   #415
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
I was thinking about the LMP1 car count for next year and it seems pretty low to me. 6 factory entrants from Audi-Peugeot-AMR are to be expected, hopefully at least one of the other rumoured manufacturers will make it (Nissan, Toyota, Wirth with whoever), but it still feels like the few serious privateers left should be taken into consideration if we don't want the P1 grid to be in the single digits. Rebellion and Pescarolo are highly capable teams, but both seem unlikely to fully commit giving what little return they're getting for their efforts this year and how their situation is evolving. Rebellion must be changing now that Hugh is gone (commitments were already made for this year when it happened) and thinking of doing things differently (drivers -at the very least - should change) and Pescarolo keeps having a hard time getting significant sponsorship in his home country because France finds motor racing ringard (lousy). How can they be convinced and encouraged to embark on a world tour if they are set to be completely destroyed by the factory teams once again? (yeah I know I'm forgetting possible single entries from small outfits like Strakka and Hope)
You may be suprised when you see the WEC entry list next year then, Pescarolo is already planning a campaign in the series next year. Why would Bart in charge change things at Rebellion???? He lead a Le Mans finishing team this year and is leading a possible LMS championship contender. Not to mention he kept all his drivers from last year minus Marco Andretti.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2938608)   #416
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Thought Rebellion has a special deal with Toyota? I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do next year.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 19:36 (Ref:2938634)   #417
JAG
Veteran

England
The prospect of competing in a World Championship will attract manufactuers and teams not already in P1.

A few weeks back Graham Goodwin said he was aware Wirth would be on the grid but could not reveal the details. I believe this was with regards to the coupe.

ORECA will be involved, whether they run Nissans or just build them is open to question, Lola are also building another pair of Toyota engined chassis.

Pescarolo still seem intent on building their own cars, and it will be interesting to see how OAK's cars develop.

There are stories about customer R18's, AMR-One's etc.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 21:38 (Ref:2938695)   #418
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Who in their right mind would buy a customer AMR-One at this juncture?

Sorry, Aston Martin, that spyder NEEDS to develop a lot in terms of reliability, if not aesthetics also, before I'd take it ahead of the Lola coupe.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 22:02 (Ref:2938710)   #419
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post

Sorry, Aston Martin, that spyder NEEDS to develop a lot in terms of reliability, if not aesthetics also, before I'd take it ahead of the Lola coupe.
Hell, a GT2 Vantage with its roof chopped off would be a more successful prototype entry than the AMR-One.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 22:23 (Ref:2938722)   #420
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post

Given the success of the previous car among the leading petrols, I'd imagine a few people bought them before the AMR-One raced, and were going on predictions and reputations...
Old 11 Aug 2011, 22:26 (Ref:2938724)   #421
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob View Post
Given the success of the previous car among the leading petrols, I'd imagine a few people bought them before the AMR-One raced, and were going on predictions and reputations...
Supposedly Jota is/was one of those teams, but I don't know what the situation is now.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 22:37 (Ref:2938727)   #422
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Lola are also building another pair of Toyota engined chassis.
Are building? Or will build if they receive firm orders?
Old 12 Aug 2011, 00:50 (Ref:2938752)   #423
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Are building? Or will build if they receive firm orders?
I don't see much point negotiating more engines if their wasn't serious interest.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 17:25 (Ref:2939282)   #424
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah , 30 grand a race . But that hasnt stopped some teams from doing just that , missing races .

Does anyone think that it would help the grid sizes for the WEC if they only enforced that rule for LMP1 and GTE-PRO?

Allow the P2s and GTE-AMs to come and go as they please (i.e. can afford) and I reckon we'd get a fair few more turning up.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 15 Aug 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2939827)   #425
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's a possible there John. I'd like to also see something that stops willy-nilly driver lineup changes too (assuming that there would be a rule mandating the use of three drivers).