Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 5 Nov 2006, 17:27 (Ref:1758384)   #301
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
How about Mondello Park in Dublin , Ireland then ?
Old 5 Nov 2006, 17:43 (Ref:1758395)   #302
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkai
Zandvoort would be freaking awesome, since it is only 3/4 of an hour away for me. But sadly due to our government the circuit has a handfull unristricted sound days, which are filled with the DTM, F3 Masters and the A1GP. More days are given if bigger races would come like the F1, except they don't come because the circuit waits with rebuilding the pits when the bigger races do come.... idiots endless discussion zandvoort has become sadly.
Fortunately Spa and the Nürburgring are close to Holland and with airlines like Vueling and BMI Baby tracks in Spain and the UK are also easily accesible

Agree though that having a race in Holland would be good.
Old 5 Nov 2006, 17:58 (Ref:1758400)   #303
davemk7
Racer

davemk7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have just been watching the dutch supercar challenge, assen looks like a perfectly viable venue for sportscar racing, don't know about the pits? but they seemed to manage quite well. I know they are far slower than any prototype but assen no longer looks like a bike track to me at least (it's very good for bike too)
I think it is similar in that respect to valencia, bikes make the straights look very small, cars don't (they are still short but not as short)

whaffling over
Old 5 Nov 2006, 20:49 (Ref:1758491)   #304
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Assen circuit has about 35 pitboxes.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1759027)   #305
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The 2007 LMS Schedule is now official.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1759238)   #306
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YAY!!! the series is back at silverstone just what i wanted although it is a very long time away with it being the last round of the season and it is fabulous to see monza making a return to the calender it was a disgrace with what happened last year and thank god they dropped istanbul no offence its a terrific track but its in the wrong place completely hopefully valencia will be just as good looked very good on the TV for motoGP
Old 6 Nov 2006, 18:18 (Ref:1759250)   #307
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
How wonderful ..... NOT !!!

What was wrong with Donington ? Silverstone had it before and they wernt very bothered according to some folks ?
Old 6 Nov 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1759288)   #308
davemk7
Racer

davemk7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be at silverstone, given any kind of decent transport!
Old 6 Nov 2006, 19:38 (Ref:1759313)   #309
The Badger
Veteran

Team Modena are trying to sell both of their DBR9's according to Mariantic , so as to finance a RS Spyder for LMS ..... great . I reckon Brabs might be there if it happens .

Did they own two chassis , or was one leased from Prodrive ? If so , why didnt they race both last year .
Old 6 Nov 2006, 20:10 (Ref:1759351)   #310
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Team Modena has chassis DBR9/4 and DBR9/101 and the official reason of not running it was chassis damage suffered in Le Mans, IIRC.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 20:22 (Ref:1759356)   #311
GT-Eins
Veteran

Germany
Hannover, Germany
GT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger

What was wrong with Donington ? ..
Too narrow pitlane and a limited amount of allowed cars on the track, which also was a bit too narrow for the LMS-variaty
Also the press-centre was a little bit tiny and its infrastructure at the limit - although that should not be a deciding fact.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1759361)   #312
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Reading DSC is appears the prospect of Corvette racing in the LMS is getting ever closer.

The ALMS can't win, there aren't enough GT1's in the US full stop.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 20:49 (Ref:1759383)   #313
The Badger
Veteran

Im not sure if i would like to see Team Corvette racing in the LMS .... Prodrive would follow and then the GT1 field would have to all raise their game . What I mean is , look how well any of the European C6R teams fare this year ..... could you imagine what might happen with the likes of Corvette and Prodrive around !!!
Old 6 Nov 2006, 21:35 (Ref:1759434)   #314
russ250575
Racer

England
England,Milton Keynes
russ250575 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
!!!

What was wrong with Donington ? ?
Ever tried getting there by Coach/Bus or Train in a single day. I didnt go because I was not prepared to travel 70-80 miles and take 6 hours doing it then no be able to get back the same day.

Yes Donington looked great on TV but I dont think there was much joy from the prototype drivers and teams especially regarding the pit lane.

IMO im with DJchocice on this im pleased its back at Silverstone now lets just hope they dont screw it up and try actually supporting it this season.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1759438)   #315
spectre200
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedford, UK
spectre200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought it would still suit Corvette better to race in the ALMS, purely for marketing purposes, as we can't buy the Corvette in European Chevy dealerships. And Chevy, at least in the UK, is basically considered by many a rebadged Daewoo, so I don't understand how the prestige of racing fits in. Also, with fewer races, there's less exposure.
Does anyone think this is just sabre-rattling? I hope so, I've really enjoyed the ALMS GT1 battles this year.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 01:12 (Ref:1759567)   #316
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You can buy Corvettes in Europe, thats the whole point of the Le Mans program, to push the brand in Europe, especially now the road cars are a match for ther 911 etc.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 01:16 (Ref:1759569)   #317
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Im not sure if i would like to see Team Corvette racing in the LMS .... Prodrive would follow and then the GT1 field would have to all raise their game . What I mean is , look how well any of the European C6R teams fare this year ..... could you imagine what might happen with the likes of Corvette and Prodrive around !!!
I don't think Prodrive would follow, they'd just support their customer cars.

Corvette would still be the class of the field, obviously, but the 1000k race length would be a new challenge and the best European GT1 teams, ORECA, BMS, Larbre, Alphand etc. could arguably put up a better fight, on 'home turf', than the teams Corvette have been up against in the ALMS.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 01:45 (Ref:1759595)   #318
The Badger
Veteran

I agree with you Jag about Prodrive probably not following . That would be a great opprotunity for them to give a little assistance (drivers) to some of their customer teams .

It wouldnt take any time at all for Corvette to work up to a 1000kms race distance . Just take a look at their Sebring , PLM and Le Mans adventures over the past few years .
Old 7 Nov 2006, 18:52 (Ref:1760233)   #319
spectre200
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedford, UK
spectre200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
You can buy Corvettes in Europe, thats the whole point of the Le Mans program, to push the brand in Europe, especially now the road cars are a match for ther 911 etc.
I thought you could only get them by importing them especially (much like any other exotic), but I have never seen one on the Chevy forecourt down the road. However, if this there is an intention to make Corvette part of the standard European line-up, that's great news - I just don't see how it fits in with the ex-Daewoo econoboxes as an intentional marketing campaign. Which is why I still think this might be sabre-rattling. Still, if I'm wrong, Silverstone will be fantastic!
Old 7 Nov 2006, 20:09 (Ref:1760274)   #320
JAG
Veteran

England
The Chevy/Daewoo's are taken care of with the WTCC, the Corvette is marketed as a seperate brand to compete with Porsche etc.

They may even been sold in the same dealers that sell Cadilacs, not sure.

Last edited by JAG; 7 Nov 2006 at 20:12.
Old 8 Nov 2006, 02:26 (Ref:1760489)   #321
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think the decision has been made sometime this year or last year to establish Corvette as brand of its own in Europe, so they are indeed marketed seperate from the low-cost european "Chevrolettes".
Old 8 Nov 2006, 10:55 (Ref:1760751)   #322
Nick49
Racer

England
Hampshire, UK
Nick49 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello

I think the LMS is better suited to Silverstone because of the whole F1 type facilities and the track length, which can accommodate the vast field. I just hope Silverstone try a bit (or is that a lot) harder than last time the LMS were there in 2005.

I have to admit I'm not one for racing into the dark other than at Le Mans where they end up finishing in the daylight of course. In 2005 at Silverstone it was difficult to find out what was happening apart from the lead battle. When the race finished it was too late (and a bit wet to be honest) to hang around for the podium presentation. I'd rather the race ended at a decent time. I can't remember any Group C races I attended ever running into the dark. Is this just a modern day fad!

It will be interesting to see if the factory Corvette team decide to run in the LMS. I think they might find it a more challenging proposition and perhaps thats what they're after.

The start of the 2007 LMS season can't come soon enough. Shame they can't include the Sebring 12 Hours and perhaps the Petit Le Mans as part of it.

Nick
Old 8 Nov 2006, 12:12 (Ref:1760814)   #323
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The biggest problem with Silverstone (amongst others) for endurance races is that you cannot hear the tannoy in the stands whilst a car is going past. It's not so much a problem during 'normal' races as the grids are usually closer together so there are gaps in traffic to hear what's happening, but in the longer races the stream of cars is constant.

Brands Hatch has a decent digital leaderboard visible from the Paddock stand, why can't Silverstone manage something similar?
Old 8 Nov 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1760835)   #324
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
They sell them in the Park Lane dealer. No idea if they're official though.
Old 8 Nov 2006, 13:09 (Ref:1760867)   #325
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Corvettes are imported officially into the UK and to several other markets in Europe www.corvette-europe.com