Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jan 2002, 05:13 (Ref:196885)   #1
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
(S)"Tar" Wars: Episode 3 - The Battle of Tyres

With Michelin and Bridgestone pulling out of all stops to help their respective teams, who do you think would be the King on Tar?

David had earlier this week been modest when questioned about the difference between Bridgestone and Michelins, saying he did not want to divulge too much so as not to profit Bridgestone. However, he was said to be pleased, and Williams and Mclaren were running test programs for Michelin new compounds, which had so far top the time sheets...

However, Bridgestone had also brought new compound for Ferrari to tests, and were highly secretive about it. Below is the interview of Luca at F1-live:
====================================
As the fourth day of testing finished at the Barcelona circuit on Thursday, Patrick Wedes secured an exclusive with Ferrari test driver, Luca Badoer, who was not all that keen to talk too much at all about the new Bridgestone tyre that was released at the Catalunya circuit today in time for the Italian drivers final two runs of the day.

Bridgestone Technical Director, Hisao Suganuma, was making hand signals in relation to any news given to the press at this delicate time ahead of the 2002 season, not wanting their rivals at Michelin to learn any information whatsoever. While Luca agreed to talk to us on what he accomplished today he answered all questions with the utmost care and attention.

“Only this afternoon did I test this new kind of Bridgestone and the first impression is positive because within a few hours working with the program I found already some really good new things. So if this is the start I am very happy. The first two days also in the rain we worked with the intermediate tyres and I was very surprised with the Sato intermediate, as they looked better than the ones we used. Maybe this tyre we also used may make the difference.”
Luca was guarding the new compound tyre information and refused to go into any specifics, the Ferrari tester waiting for notice to do so by Mr. Suganuma before divulging too much. Hopefully next week we will learn more about this mysterious compound and there should be an announcement date for the impending Ferrari launch within the next week or so.

Last season was a busy one for Luca as Ferrari pulled out all the stops to win their third consecutive constructors crown and most of the work load fell at Badoer's feet, a job he relished despite not actually getting the chance to get out there on the track with his colleagues and race.

“Happy to be a contributor to the world championship, last year I not only worked on tyre testing but last year for me was a really busy year. I think I worked every week some week, all of the week, some weeks only some days, but worked fully for me and the test team. Our test team is a good team we work well for success and that has come.”

Having two test drivers this year will be an added boost for the Italian marque with Luciano Burti, an experienced F1 driver also now part of the crew. Luca doesn't need to do much coaching with his experienced partner and informed us of this.

“Working together you don't have much time to talk just work, so Luciano is good and a valuable part of this test team. He needs sure time to understand the team and car and is the right person for what we need.”

Ferrari continue to test today here in Barcelona whilst Luciano has returned to Fiorano to test new aero and suspension parts for the F2002 before the expected launch date 4 February. Remember this is expected, not confirmed, but have no doubt that Michelin will be waiting further news on this new compound…….
=========================

Looks like both companies have something up their sleeves...what do you think?

Last edited by Gt_R; 11 Jan 2002 at 05:14.
Old 11 Jan 2002, 07:36 (Ref:196895)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Michelin has an exemplary track record in motor sport, and I see no reason why they cannot dominate F1 like the late 70s/early 80s.
Old 11 Jan 2002, 18:10 (Ref:197098)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
the problem for michelin is of course, supplying 2 top teams in williams ane mclaren as opposed to bridgestones 1 in ferrari.

ferrari will have bridgestones undivided attention all season, where as michelin will be trying to keep both teams happy and only concentrating on 1 team if there is a clear cut chance of 1 team fighting for a title with ferrari and the 2nd team not!
Old 12 Jan 2002, 04:34 (Ref:197388)   #4
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some time ago, someone here mentioned that having two top teams isn't necessarily bad for Michelin. Having that much more input from a front runner cannot be anything but good for the development side for Michelin. I have no tech background in the field, but this theory seems to make sense to me. the more feedback the better, especially from the guys at the real sharp end.
Old 12 Jan 2002, 04:57 (Ref:197401)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The benefits of having two top teams far outweigh the disadvantages...as djb mentioned...the more data generated from tests is not going to hurt.

So it's going to have more of a positive impact for Michelin...

Bridgestone seem to know this disadvantage and they are spreading their tyre developement to other teams to. Jordan had new compounds to test alongside Ferrari for example..
Old 12 Jan 2002, 05:09 (Ref:197411)   #6
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In any case, whatever happens tire-wise, with the macaroni boys on Michelins as well, it will add some more "soap-opera" material both on and off the track this year. and let's face it, its the upsets and surprises that make for a bit of drama. Can't wait to see how things start to pan out.